Pacific Stimulus: Allocations for July
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:07:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Pacific Stimulus: Allocations for July
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Pacific Stimulus: Allocations for July  (Read 2152 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2014, 08:58:24 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

$10 billion to allocate Gentleman.  My going away reminder.  Good luck.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:44:51 PM »

#STOPTHEHANDOUTS

Though to be fair, we've promised or injected at least $200 billion into the Pacific region over the past year (I bought $65 billion in Pacific bonds as the Bernanke almost exactly one year ago, plus these promises and presumably other injections of cash in the beginning of the crisis).

The Pacific's rate of unemployment (11.4%) is almost reasonable now when comparing the unreasonably high rates of unemployment nationally/in other regions (8.3% - 9.8%). As I recall, the Pacific' rate of unemployment hasn't been below 9.5% since I've been in the game; it's been as high as 23%. Perhaps it is time to end the bailout for the Pacific and begin focusing this money nationally, to alleviate our current condition?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:47:15 PM »

Hopefully the distinguished Senator from the IDS can pull a Thad Cochran for us and bring in some bacon. Wink
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:51:39 PM »

Senator Griffin is 100% correct.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 01:37:00 AM »

I'm not sure those unemployment numbers were correctly reported....Let's hold off on killing this before we sort that out.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 03:42:33 AM »

I'm not sure those unemployment numbers were correctly reported

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 04:13:01 AM »

You know what to do with it, Yankee.

Remember who sent you here...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 04:33:37 AM »

In all seriousness though, I fully intend to jump at every window of opportunity I find to wet my beak.  Pork is something I tend to evolve on, but since the Pacific is getting all these stimulus packages every few months, well, it's only fair. Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »

I would advocate for some caution as well as Tyrion stated, but we might very well get reduce the sums given that the Pacific has made so much progress. I wonder what's the take of the GM nominee and the current GM in this.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 03:52:49 PM »

I'm not sure those unemployment numbers were correctly reported....Let's hold off on killing this before we sort that out.

Yes, it became clear that were serious problems with the GM's apparent revision of past numbers. As the former crisis manager I'm not necessarily opposed to reducing the sums slightly but I'd urge the Senate not to cut the Pacific off entirely out of some misguided vendetta against "pork".
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »

This is certainly worth talking about. I feel compelled to do something for the Pacific in light of the fact that it's going to be so difficult to merge it or to do anything with it really since it's clearly the region that's in the worst shape (and is mostly made up of zombies), and the region can't merge or do whatever unilaterally. However, I don't wish to just keep pouring money into it since at some point we're merely throwing that money away.

One way to approach the Pacific would be to "grade it on a curve," so to speak. In other words, take into consideration when formulating economic numbers that it's behind everyone else and that activity there is far worse than anywhere else, and so perhaps it should not be assessed the same way the other, more active regions are. That would be up to the G.M., though, but it's an idea. If the region would ever come to a complete halt we'd have to do something, and money wouldn't be enough.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 06:37:17 PM »

Absolutely, but I would argue that it's a slippery slope that the GM can change unemployment numbers ex post facto, as well.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »

The biggest and most important game reform we could ever pursue and achieve would be to set the full parameters of function and operation for the GM, get everyone on board and require everyone to respect the pronouncements made on penalty of being kicked out of the game or something. It is drastic sure, but soonere or later we have to solve the problems with the GMs reports and the simultaneous structural problem of people just ignoring the damn thing.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 01:12:22 AM »

You know what to do with it, Yankee.

Remember who sent you here...

Either throw it on the grill with the right sauce or roast it with some kind of seasonings so to be mixed with rice and or made as some form of taco, or you can count me out. Pork chop in a frying pan is terrible. As is most other ways it is done. Though that thing in the image may be good.

I do like ham, bacon, sausage and like though.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 01:45:58 PM »

In all seriousness though, I fully intend to jump at every window of opportunity I find to wet my beak.  Pork is something I tend to evolve on, but since the Pacific is getting all these stimulus packages every few months, well, it's only fair. Wink

Listen, if anything, the Northeast has been severely mistreated when it comes to allocating funds to regions.  Just saying, I'll fight you for them Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 02:03:29 PM »

It would be interesting to look into the feasibility of equalization payments between the regions. I don't know where I'd stand on that myself, but it could be worth discussing. The pro-region side of me wonders how fair it would be to force the "have" provinces regions to pay the bills of the "have-not" regions, but that same side of me also sees that these payments could be a real boon to struggling areas of the country. Plus, we'd essentially be keeping the feds "out of it," other than relying on them as overseers of the transfers. Hmm...

As for the Pacific stimulus, my plan will be to follow the law and work with the committee to come up with a proposal that will stretch this money as far as possible for the people of the region. Maybe there's merit in discontinuing the stimulus after we've made good on our current commitments, but my take now is that we've already promised two more installments of the stimulus. Yes, the Pacific has made progress, but all recent, private investments in the region have been made with the knowledge that more federal money is on its way. To cut it off could send people running scared, no? That's not what we want in the midst of a fragile recovery.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »

Listen, if anything, the Northeast has been severely mistreated when it comes to allocating funds to regions.  Just saying, I'll fight you for them Tongue

I wouldn't know, but I'll take your word for it. Tongue

My point, basically, is that I find it strange how the Pacific would still be in need of stimulus when it's in far better condition than it was last summer.  If activity and registration numbers aren't being accounted for in the unemployment figures, then the Senate either needs to pass reform or hold the GM more accountable.  Otherwise, guaranteeing money to one region at the expense of others is just unfair.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 05:01:43 AM »

Sorry for not participating here earlier, I was on holiday.
First of all - like TNF and others said, I highly doubt the GM's numbers. The Pacific is in his way of progress, but it does not go on that quickly. The worst thing we could do now is to stop the Stimuluses, that have accelerated that process.
And secondly - the Federal Government promised the Pacific help, in form of the three stimulus. Just because other regions would like to have their piece of cake now too, that does not legitimate to cancel the stimulus.

I already talked with Hagrid on this, and we in the Pacific will draw our proposal, and then post it here, to see what the committee has to say.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 03:39:17 AM »

So, this would be the Pacific's proposal, as agreed upon by the council.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 10:18:47 AM »

I like the proposal very much, but I think a larger discussion is warranted with regard to the Pacific's future. There seem to be no easy answers. Ideally, I would like to merge it with the Midwest and call it the West, but the Midwest would have to want or agree to that. One thing, the Pacific has just a couple of really good players, Cranberry being one. Under a merger, the Midwest would benefit from that plus inherit a lot of zombies who would not be in the way. So, it's NOT like the Midwest would be taking on the Mideast or something - that's my point.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »

Of course a greater debate over the future of the Pacific is needed, but Hagrid asked for this thread being solely for discussing the stimulus bill, so I'll keep myself short with an answer. I already PMed Arturo Belano over the idea of a merger, but yet he has not responded. I would be in favour of a merger, but such a merger should be well debated and thoroughly prepared. Until then, I guess we have to take what we've got and keep the Pacific from collapsing entirely.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2014, 01:46:33 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Yeah, I do believe these are two very different conversations, and at present we have a job to do for the Pacific, whether we believe the Pacific should exist as its own region or not.

Governor, I'll read over things and bring forward some suggestions when I'm home and at a computer. Could I ask you to send a message to the Speaker of the Pacfic Council to see if he plans on making an appearance?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 01:56:10 PM »

Great! Of course, I'll send him a PM immediately.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 03:46:16 PM »

Great! Of course, I'll send him a PM immediately.
Sorry about being late. Anyway I support the stimulus in its current form, but we could add a section about tech grants.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 02:17:22 PM »

The problem is, in the current form we get to 10B, and we had to shrink some sums in order to get money for a tech grant... But I'd say propose a new section, and we'll see (take maybe 1B of the 2B in Section 5 - so you have 1B for your Tech Grant section, and it leaves 1B for the current section. It might very well be however that we won't need the current section 5- then you have 2B)
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies