Mississippi Senate election, 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:42:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Mississippi Senate election, 2014
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Cochran (D)

Cochran (R)

Cochran (I/O)

Childers (D)

Childers (R)

Childers (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 62

Author Topic: Mississippi Senate election, 2014  (Read 1622 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 05:09:50 PM »

i would vote for the one who isnt a right wing democrat.  cochran, who is pretty decent for a southern republican.

Childers is 50 points more liberal by ACU score. There isn't a single issue where Cochran is to Childers' left.

okay,  then again, childers is wrong on important issues like privatizing ss.

What the hell?

you support the government taking money out of your paycheck with just an 'iou' to pay you back with no interest when youre an oldster?

obviously the system needs drastic reforms, including partial privatization.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 05:14:53 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2014, 05:16:34 PM by Harry »

you support the government taking money out of your paycheck with just an 'iou' to pay you back with no interest when youre an oldster?

Yes. (normal). And I expect nothing in return -- it's a social responsibility thing. People who already have their retirement in order (which I have set up with a 401K that I put 10% of my paycheck into) shouldn't get Social Security.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

Yes. (normal). And I expect nothing in return -- it's a social responsibility thing. People who already have their retirement in order (which I have set up with a 401K that I put 10% of my paycheck into) shouldn't get Social Security.

they shouldnt get the money that paid in?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 05:46:32 PM »

i would vote for the one who isnt a right wing democrat.  cochran, who is pretty decent for a southern republican.

Childers is 50 points more liberal by ACU score. There isn't a single issue where Cochran is to Childers' left.

okay,  then again, childers is wrong on important issues like privatizing ss.

What the hell?

obviously the system needs drastic reforms, including partial privatization.

Privatization is not the only alternative.  It's definitely not one that a so-called "left-winger" should endorse.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »

they shouldnt get the money that paid in?

No, that's not how Social Security works. Current workers pay for current retirees. Nobody is paying for themselves in the future. When its your turn to get Social Security, your check will come from the paychecks of future workers -- not your past self.

As for your direct question, no, I don't think it makes any sense for the government to send a check to people who are already getting a much bigger retirement checks from their own accounts. Unfortunately, I do not have the numbers on how much money this would save.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2014, 05:55:05 PM »

soon there will be more retirees than workers.  of course democrats prefer to scare seniors than reform the system.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2014, 06:04:50 PM by Harry »

soon there will be more retirees than workers.  of course democrats prefer to scare seniors than reform the system.

Um, false? Did you "learn" that in one of those Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: emails?  The official Social Security website doesn't project it to ever fall below 2 workers per retiree, and we're decades away from that.

ETA: Here's Politifact's take on the ratio issue.

And reform is fine (for example not giving benefits to people who don't need them). But privatization is a terrible idea.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2014, 09:45:16 AM »

Um, false? Did you "learn" that in one of those Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: emails?  The official Social Security website doesn't project it to ever fall below 2 workers per retiree, and we're decades away from that.

ETA: Here's Politifact's take on the ratio issue.

And reform is fine (for example not giving benefits to people who don't need them). But privatization is a terrible idea.

Yes, the problem with the welfare system in the US is that it's ran in such a way that it benefits millionaires and billionaires more than it does the average commoner.  We saw a good example of this a few years ago when instead of nationalizing an insanely corrupt, incompetent, and greedy industry (the banks) and firing all of their insanely corrupt, incompetent, and greedy executives that made in some cases 100x (if not more) money than the average employee in their company, Dubya, Obama, McCain, and all the other weasels thought it would be a good idea to instead give them all hundreds of billions of dollars in taxpayer money to add on top of the trillions of dollars of debt that was accumulated on the base of incompetence, lies, and outright war lust greed for the benefits of big oil, big weapons, the military industrial complex, and a bunch of other greedy sons of bitches that I probably can't remember but surely benefit from US Imperialism.  Meanwhile, in North Carolina we tell the poor that we have to cut back on their food stamps, their unemployment compensation, and their voting rights because "it's not the American way".  Federal funding for Planned Parenthood is stomped out for being "wasteful" while we send billions in subsidies to Big Oil because too many people are more concerned about paying $7.80 per gallon of gas (like other civilized nations do) than they do about the incredible dangers that Big Oils poses to our environment, our health, and our lands.  I certainly do enjoy the almost DAILY earthquakes that seem to be getting bigger and bigger in my part of the state.  Lord knows that life was certainly boring when the only thing Okies had to worry about was Ffuckin5 tornadoes coming in and randomly destroying Moore every five years or so.  Thank you Big Fracking!
Why?  Because the system is rigged.  It has been rigged since the beginnings of the nation when Big Industry and Big Slavery both worked the system in their favor while promoting a visage of actively pursuing policies for "the Great Good" while mostly just giving handouts to their cronies.  Over time we've had some mild concessions, like the idea that slaves should be paid at least, business can afford to have workers work "only" five days out of every week for "only" eight hours a day before finally drawing overtime pay, feel good anti-discrimination laws to the baby teeth (this may shock a lot of you, but businesses can still legitimately throw customers (or employees) out of their establishment for almost any reason, they just can't say "we don't serve your kind here!" or other politically incorrect claptrap that arouses white "liberal" fury), and of course social welfare programs that end up criminally underfunded due to rich fuckin' 1%cers drawing into a system that will give them extra dollars that they don't really need.
Of course none of this would've been an issue if we had kept even a somewhat remotely equitable tax structure in place that would prevent excessive wealth from occurring.  The real problem isn't that we have these ultra rich thieves robbing a fund that is supposed to help mostly the lower/middle classes, it's that they are even ultra rich to begin with.  Of which we can only thank the Unholy Fuckin' Trinity of "Keep Your Government Hands off of Muh Government Funded Capitalism!", the idea that "free speech" means "lots of money", and of course the great evil known as "Land Ownership".

So yes Harry, thank you for stating one of the most morally obvious facts of our times that is oft ignored by "pragmatists" who think that the only way to "reform" a system is to shoot it in the kneecab instead of excising the greedy little cancerous tumors that sicken it.  And I could give a good damn what Walter and other nauseating "right wing democrats" and other moderate hero wankers have to say on this matter.
* Mechaman accepts inevitable "SAGE!!!!!!!!" label.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2014, 10:20:39 AM »

Fracking causes tornadoes?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2014, 12:09:47 PM »

No reason whatsoever that any Democrat should support Cochran over Childers, and no reason any actual moderate independent should either unless they're just in it for the pork.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »

Childers, so very reluctantly.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »

No reason whatsoever that any Democrat should support Cochran over Childers, and no reason any actual moderate independent should either unless they're just in it for the pork.

If I lived in MS, I'd vote for Cochran. People in places like Mississippi can't afford to vote based on boutique ideology. They need all the seniority they can get.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »

If I lived in MS, I'd vote for Cochran. People in places like Mississippi can't afford to vote based on boutique ideology. They need all the seniority they can get.

Agreed, but it's pretty unlikely that we'll Cochran will serve out his whole term. He already doesn't want to be there now -- he's not going to be a Byrd for us.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »

As much as I like Childers, Cochran has been good for the state.

I guess I'd hold my nose and vote Cochran.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2014, 01:17:30 PM »

Are the Greens running anyone? If not, then I wouldn't vote, or I would write-in the late Chokwe Lumumba.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2014, 01:59:13 PM »

No, earthquakes!

Reread the post again.  The Earthquakes come as a nice side salad to the already common tornader problem (which I am hesitant to even blame on normal climate change like a lot of the dumb green extremists do).
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »

Lol the democrats voting for Cochran.

I didn't know Cochran has been "sooooooo" moderate.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2014, 02:28:31 PM »

Childers.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2014, 02:51:19 PM »

Nah, the only third party choice is some reform party nominee.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 05:02:47 PM »

If I was a Tea Partier, I would certainly vote for Childers. Mainly because Cochran losing would puncture the main argument the mainstream wing has against insurgents - TP's are "unelectable".
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2014, 08:35:23 PM »

Childers, Cochran is a corrupt liar who hates his own constituents (not to mention he supported the Iraq War).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies