a gop super ticket....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:13:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  a gop super ticket....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: is either romney/jeb bush or bush/romney possible?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: a gop super ticket....  (Read 3326 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »

yes. very possible and would be very hard to defeat.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 02:05:33 PM »

not possible and not possible to not defeat
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 03:57:38 PM »

No, Romney would never be a VP candidate after having been a presidential candidate, and he would never pick Jeb Bush as his running mate in the incredibly unlikely scenario of him getting the presidential nomination again.

And running mates mean virtually nothing in presidential elections unless their home state is razor-close, then they might flip that one state, so there's no such thing as a "super ticket."
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 03:58:50 PM »

Romney would choose a woman if he did run and win the nomination.
Clermont County GOPer
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »

not possible and not possible to not defeat
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 04:49:18 PM »

And running mates mean virtually nothing in presidential elections ... there's no such thing as a "super ticket."

Should probably be an automatic pop-up message when visiting this board.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »

yes. very possible and would be very hard to defeat.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »

ha!  i never said i would support such a ticket.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 05:22:48 PM »

But he didn't last time, why would he do it this time?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »

Of course not -- it would be too liberal for your tastes.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 06:43:18 PM »

Haha. No.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 07:34:13 PM »

I think there is a growing feeling that 2016 is the year a woman finally cracks the glass ceiling. A lot wanted a female VP in 2012, but the fact is that there wasn't a great option for him. 2016 will have a lot more options - Ayotte, Martinez, and Haley will all have enough experience.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 08:02:33 PM »

No, but that's an extremely distasteful ticket anyway.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »

I think there is a growing feeling that 2016 is the year a woman finally cracks the glass ceiling. A lot wanted a female VP in 2012, but the fact is that there wasn't a great option for him. 2016 will have a lot more options - Ayotte, Martinez, and Haley will all have enough experience.

I think the Hillary factor makes it very likely the GOP ticket has a woman on it. If Hillary runs, the Republican nominee will probably face decent pressure to choose a female running mate and keep the gender gap as small as possible under the circumstances. If Hillary doesn't run, so many people will feel let down and lost that the GOP could really capitalize on the situation by getting a conservative woman on board. Either way, there will be more pressure than ever to court woman voters.

I say Mitt Romney specifically will want to choose a female running mate because I think the two years since his last campaign will give him ample opportunity to reflect on his mistakes. The perceived "War on Women" really pulled him down, and he knows now better than anyone that he can't afford to ignore over half the electorate.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »

Doesn't mean he will do it. I know you guys believe Romney is the godsend, but I don't think he's as perceptive as you seem to make him out to be. He knew the risk in picking Paul Ryan, and yet he made the choice anyway, and probably cost himself Florida without making any ground elsewhere.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2014, 09:27:54 PM by tmthforu94 »

Doesn't mean he will do it. I know you guys believe Romney is the godsend, but I don't think he's as perceptive as you seem to make him out to be. He knew the risk in picking Paul Ryan, and yet he made the choice anyway, and probably cost himself Florida without making any ground elsewhere.
You're wrong

EDIT: Sorry, that posted without the rest of my message for whatever reason, but Hagrid essentially stated it below. Just because Romney made a few mistakes in the past doesn't mean he can't learn from them.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »

So all the things he's done right since the campaign ended have just been a fluke? The guy slow-jammed the news for crying out loud. He's learned that he needs to better connect with voters. Why wouldn't he also have learned that he can't do anything to play into the War on Women garbage? He probably would've picked a woman in 2012 if there weren't fears of a second Palin or if there was really a strong demand for female candidates. In 2016, the Palin fears will be gone and there will be a real itch for woman candidates. Why wouldn't he choose a woman?

For that matter, why wouldn't any of them?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 10:00:41 PM »

So all the things he's done right since the campaign ended have just been a fluke? The guy slow-jammed the news for crying out loud. He's learned that he needs to better connect with voters. Why wouldn't he also have learned that he can't do anything to play into the War on Women garbage? He probably would've picked a woman in 2012 if there weren't fears of a second Palin or if there was really a strong demand for female candidates. In 2016, the Palin fears will be gone and there will be a real itch for woman candidates. Why wouldn't he choose a woman?

What, you mean appearing in the press? I don't think he should be applauded for re-upping his ambition.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 10:21:35 PM »

What, you mean appearing in the press? I don't think he should be applauded for re-upping his ambition.
He's doing things differently - he's coming across as much more friendly and personable, something he didn't do enough during the 2012 campaign. The documentary seemed to show a new side of Mitt Romney and he has made a good effort and portraying that side to The People more and more. Just what he needs to do if he does want to run again in 2016.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »

It sounds like that Styx/Kansas super tour we've all been waiting for.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »

Two rich white grandfathers who followed their fathers into politics, and haven't held elected office since 2006? It doesn't seem like a great match, although it might fit an amplification strategy.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 07:53:59 PM »

Jeb would accept the VP spot.  I don't know that Romney would pick him.  I doubt Romney would be #2 at this point.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised if both of those guys try in 2016, regardless of what they're saying now.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 09:45:54 AM »

Palin.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 10:09:37 AM »

Palin.

I reject this explanation. The reason he didn't pick one last time was because there were no qualified female candidates, so picking a woman would make it obvious that he was picking someone unqualified just so he could have a woman.

Why the situation was that way in 2012 is due to a fundamental problem with the Republican Party. It doesn't get much better in 2016, but there will at least be a couple of two-term governors (who happen to also be minorities), so it will be possible to pick a qualified woman then.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2014, 10:53:12 AM »

It sounds like that Styx/Kansas super tour we've all been waiting for.

This.

Opening the thread, I thought we would be talking about Reagan's Corpse/Eisenhower's Corpse 2016. Very disappointed. Boo.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies