Willard "Mitt" Romney 2016 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:10:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Willard "Mitt" Romney 2016 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Willard "Mitt" Romney 2016 megathread  (Read 6194 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2014, 01:08:59 AM »

I'm hearing the whispers about Romney running for President in 2016. Thinking about it, it makes some sense even though I think he would be better situated to run in 2020. If Romeny throws his hat into the ring for 2016 I think he would be aiming for a VP role, which he wohld be perfect for. If Trump or Paul is the nominee then having Mitt on the ticket would be a good choice. Here's why:

1. Name recognition: Americans are already familiar with Mitt and he has a solid base (about 47% of voters)
2. Money: Mitt Romney can self fund. If he's on a ticket with Trump then they can both self fund and trumpet their business acumen
3. No baggage: Willard isn't going to create any controversy  a la Sarah Palin, we already know his story and his family. Nothing is going to come out about him that we haven't already heard
4. Campaign experience: Mitt has already ran in many elections and is a proven winner. This is an asset to someone who has never ran a national campaign
5. Principles: Mitt doesn't shy away from his principles so he has more credibility than most politicians. Remember when the guy in a wheel chair asked him about medicinal marijuana? He wasn't swayed by the moment, he stuck to his guns and said "hey buddy, no way" which I think would play well with the GOP base

Like I said, he probably shouldn't run for President until 2020 (Nixon was smart to wait eight) but if he gets a vp spot he can keep his name in the press. If the GOP wins, he would be next in line for 2024 (like Mondale was even though Carter lost). People say things about regional balance and all that nonsense but a Trump/Romney ticket could be solid. They could talk about their economic experience and other successes, having a consistent message. Sort of like Clinton and Gore in 1992. The guys were similar but that made the ticket's message more cohesive so people bought into the vision.In fact Clinton and Gore was such a good team that they beat not only one major opponent, but two. You ddon't see that very often these days.

What do you guys think? Would Mitt be a good pick for veep in 2016 or should he run for governor of California or Michigan in 2018 instead?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 01:18:26 AM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 01:23:33 AM »

You forgot the most important factor: Mitt's connection to the plight of the average American (after all, he's unemployed and middle class too!) will contrast nicely with Hillary Clinton's campaign ending and fatal "dead broke" gaffe.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 01:36:04 AM »

You forgot the most important factor: Mitt's connection to the plight of the average American (after all, he's unemployed and middle class too!) will contrast nicely with Hillary Clinton's campaign ending and fatal "dead broke" gaffe.

I'm assuming you're joking here. Mitt has lots of dough (see fact #2). This is part of his appeal though. He can use the "hope" theme that Obama used so successfully. He serves as a reminder that anyone can become successful in America.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 01:38:40 AM »

I'm assuming you're joking here. Mitt has lots of dough (see fact #2). This is part of his appeal though. He can use the "hope" theme that Obama used so successfully. He serves as a reminder that anyone can become successful in America.

Anyone can be a CEO turned governor turned Presidential candidate if their daddy is a CEO turned governor turned Presidential candidate.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 01:41:33 AM »

I agree with the gist of what you're saying but I think it would be a mistake to have Trump on the ticket. Herman "Sugar Daddy" Cain would bring in all the positives of a self-funding businessman and also include being a dynamic speaker and being black as well. That would give the GOP a wave of momentum to victory in November. Everyone already knows about the sexual harassment stuff so that's old news and won't be as relevant then.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 01:44:21 AM »

I agree with the gist of what you're saying but I think it would be a mistake to have Trump on the ticket. Herman "Sugar Daddy" Cain would bring in all the positives of a self-funding businessman and also include being a dynamic speaker and being black as well. That would give the GOP a wave of momentum to victory in November. Everyone already knows about the sexual harassment stuff so that's old news and won't be as relevant then.

Maybe. I always thought Herman Cain was really looking to replace Clarence Thomas when the time comes. Cain's moustache pretty much disqualifies him from the presidency. Nice sig btw.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 02:43:06 AM »

Mitt Romney is the worst presidential candidate in the last 100 years. He's also a terrible person non-politically speaking. He abused his wife, is a bad father, doesn't set good examples, and is just a cold, uncaring person. Honestly, his dead father is rolling in his grave at his dirtbag son.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 02:55:33 AM »

Mitt Romney is the worst presidential candidate in the last 100 years. He's also a terrible person non-politically speaking. He abused his wife, is a bad father, doesn't set good examples, and is just a cold, uncaring person. Honestly, his dead father is rolling in his grave at his dirtbag son.
You must be trolling...
NHLiberal

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 11:24:15 AM »

Fixed
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »

Fixed

Okay but what about "don't pay no tax"?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 04:10:20 PM »

No, Romney will never accept the Veep nomination after being the party's main nominee 4 years before that. If he were to run, I suspect it will be it was because he was drafted by the establishment if every other viable candidate somehow collapses.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »

How would he wait until 2020? He's going to be 73 then.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 05:15:11 PM »

How would he wait until 2020? He's going to be 73 then.

Nixon waited eight years and came back to win. Also McCain lost the 2000 primary and ran again eight years later at age 72. Mitt doesn't look nearly his age btw.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 05:18:39 PM »

The dumb son of the bitch just can't believe that he's not the White Horse Prophecy's chosen one.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 05:20:15 PM »

No, Romney will never accept the Veep nomination after being the party's main nominee 4 years before that. If he were to run, I suspect it will be it was because he was drafted by the establishment if every other viable candidate somehow collapses.

So do you think he should run for Governor instead? Could he succeed Rick Snyder in  Michigan?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 05:56:39 PM »

WILLARD WATCH 2016

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2014/07/forget_second_guessing_about_2.html

Alabamans back Mitt Romney by a large margin.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »

I go back and forth about how good or bad Mitt Romney was as a candidate in 2012.  He struck me as patronizing, phony, and stiff, and his 47% comments did him in.  The persona stuff hasn't always done in candidates, and Romney could have embraced his 47% strategy by focusing the discussion on "makers vs. takers" (a theme that may well have resonated).

The main problem in 2012, however, was not Romney, but the GOP's nutty base and Romney's ill-advised pandering to them.  Romney could have won the nomination without boxing himself in on a number of issues (including immigration, which killed him with Hispanics).  He allowed the GOP's nutty base to cause him to run away from his signature achievement in Massachusetts (his Romneycare health plan); had he ran on it, voters in the middle might have viewed him as the person who might have been qualified to actually reform Obamacare as needed.

The other problem Romney had was his ill-advised decision to run as a "job creator".  Had he run as a top businessman whose job was to help salvage companies in trouble and force people to live within their means, he might have had another theme that would resonate with voters.  It would have blunted the attacks on his role with Bain Capital if he had focused on his REAL role there, and not pose as a "job creator" when he was a "wealth creator".

Could he do better in 2016 against Hillary Clinton?  I think so.   I view Hillary as a shallow proxy for Bill Clinton whose vulnerabilities will be more obvious as the start of the campaign draws closer.  She's no more likeable than Mitt, truth be told.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »

It wouldn't make sense for Romney to wait until 2020. It's a few months before the 2016 primary is officially underway, and Romney's considered such a strong contender because of a series of lucky breaks unlikely to repeat in a different environment.

I don't think he wants to be Governor again.

He could be a strong Veep. The public and media know him, he's unlikely to get caught in a major scandal, and he could balance tickets for several top Republicans. His connections could be useful in a presidential administration, and his talents are suited for a Veep with a portfolio (IE- put in charge of several major task forces).
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 08:45:49 PM »

I'm hearing the whispers about Romney running for President in 2016. Thinking about it, it makes some sense even though I think he would be better situated to run in 2020. If Romeny throws his hat into the ring for 2016 I think he would be aiming for a VP role, which he wohld be perfect for. If Trump or Paul is the nominee then having Mitt on the ticket would be a good choice. Here's why:

1. Name recognition: Americans are already familiar with Mitt and he has a solid base (about 47% of voters)
2. Money: Mitt Romney can self fund. If he's on a ticket with Trump then they can both self fund and trumpet their business acumen
3. No baggage: Willard isn't going to create any controversy  a la Sarah Palin, we already know his story and his family. Nothing is going to come out about him that we haven't already heard
4. Campaign experience: Mitt has already ran in many elections and is a proven winner. This is an asset to someone who has never ran a national campaign
5. Principles: Mitt doesn't shy away from his principles so he has more credibility than most politicians. Remember when the guy in a wheel chair asked him about medicinal marijuana? He wasn't swayed by the moment, he stuck to his guns and said "hey buddy, no way" which I think would play well with the GOP base

Like I said, he probably shouldn't run for President until 2020 (Nixon was smart to wait eight) but if he gets a vp spot he can keep his name in the press. If the GOP wins, he would be next in line for 2024 (like Mondale was even though Carter lost). People say things about regional balance and all that nonsense but a Trump/Romney ticket could be solid. They could talk about their economic experience and other successes, having a consistent message. Sort of like Clinton and Gore in 1992. The guys were similar but that made the ticket's message more cohesive so people bought into the vision.In fact Clinton and Gore was such a good team that they beat not only one major opponent, but two. You ddon't see that very often these days.

What do you guys think? Would Mitt be a good pick for veep in 2016 or should he run for governor of California or Michigan in 2018 instead?

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 01:49:37 AM »

WILLARD WATCH 2016

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/mitt-romney-2016-election-jason-chaffetz-108636.html

Politico reports theat Rep. Jason Chaffetz believes Mitt is certain to run. As a fellow Mormon, he may be in the know. Thoughts?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 08:22:18 AM »

If Trump or Paul is the nominee as you initially suggest, they won't choose Romney.
pepper11
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 09:12:26 AM »

www.draftmitt.org

Getting quite a bit of support recently.
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »

I thought the establishment would try a few more favorites - Pence, Kasich, Snyder if he wins re-election - before looking towards Romney.

It does say something about the weakness of Jeb Bush.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 09:34:37 AM »

I thought the establishment would try a few more favorites - Pence, Kasich, Snyder if he wins re-election - before looking towards Romney.

It does say something about the weakness of Jeb Bush.

There's no evidence that the "establishment" is "looking towards Romney".  This is just a media meme that has no basis in reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies