Willard "Mitt" Romney 2016 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:18:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Willard "Mitt" Romney 2016 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Willard "Mitt" Romney 2016 megathread  (Read 6166 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 09:54:43 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

DOMINATING
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 03:37:41 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

DOMINATING

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 12:39:30 AM »

Mitt Romney reportedly spent time this past weekend at Saginew Lake with his family to discuss a 2016 bid.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 01:46:16 AM »

Mitt Romney reportedly spent time this past weekend at Saginew Lake with his family to discuss a 2016 bid.
My suspicions seem to be ever confirming.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 04:48:18 AM »

If Willard does run again, I hope we get to see his tax returns this time.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 05:01:17 AM »

Absolutely - I think one of the first things he needs to do this time is release his tax returns for the last five years. Mitt has learned from his mistakes.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 09:55:38 AM »

Absolutely - I think one of the first things he needs to do this time is release his tax returns for the last five years. Mitt has learned from his mistakes.

Really he just needs to start drinking.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2014, 05:51:01 AM »

It wouldn't make sense for Romney to wait until 2020. It's a few months before the 2016 primary is officially underway, and Romney's considered such a strong contender because of a series of lucky breaks unlikely to repeat in a different environment.

I don't think he wants to be Governor again.

He could be a strong Veep. The public and media know him, he's unlikely to get caught in a major scandal, and he could balance tickets for several top Republicans. His connections could be useful in a presidential administration, and his talents are suited for a Veep with a portfolio (IE- put in charge of several major task forces).

I don't believe Mitt Romney wants to be VP.  Being openly on McCain's short list in 2008 was one thing; it was a way to advance his standing for the future.  Now, however, he's a guy who's been a nominee, and a losing one who's taken a lot of criticism.  Being a VP candidate at this stage of the game is something that will ensure that Romney will NEVER be President.

Being second fiddle to any of the lame crowd of Republicans running could never benefit Romney.  And he's not the kind of guy that would be a good VP.  He's not a "hatchet man" and how would it look when Mitt Romney, who has stood on his own in business at an EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL level is reduced to being chairman of the Competitiveness Council or some lame task force?  It would look like a highly successful man lowered himself for limelight. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 11:32:00 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2014, 11:36:11 AM by Lincoln Republican »

Mitt Romney is the worst presidential candidate in the last 100 years. He's also a terrible person non-politically speaking. He abused his wife, is a bad father, doesn't set good examples, and is just a cold, uncaring person. Honestly, his dead father is rolling in his grave at his dirtbag son.

Allow me to correct the above statement:

Mitt Romney is the best presidential candidate in the last 100 years.  He's also a wonderful person non-politically speaking.  He loves his wife, is a terrific father, always sets good examples, and is just a warm, caring person.  Honestly, his dear father is looking down from Heaven and is so proud of his exemplary son.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 01:45:24 AM »

Mitt Romney is the best presidential candidate in the last 100 years.  He's also a wonderful person non-politically speaking.  He loves his wife, is a terrific father, always sets good examples, and is just a warm, caring person.  Honestly, his dear father is looking down from Heaven and is so proud of his exemplary son.

That is some of your finest work.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 02:15:42 AM »

I'm not sure he's the best candidate in the past 100 years - if he were he would have been able to win. But the rest of Winfield's statement is completely accurate.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 12:10:38 AM »

No, no. Without the support of the morman cabal Mitt is nothing.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »

Mitt Romney is the best presidential candidate in the last 100 years.  He's also a wonderful person non-politically speaking.  He loves his wife, is a terrific father, always sets good examples, and is just a warm, caring person.  Honestly, his dear father is looking down from Heaven and is so proud of his exemplary son.

That is some of your finest work.

Well, thank you my good man, thank you indeed.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 08:48:02 PM »

Now that there is a Mitt Romney 2016 megathread, and for the record, I do not believe for a moment that Mitt will run for President in 2016, or ever again, but that aide, for the purposes of sheer speculation, let us say that Mitt did run in 2016, knowing what we know now, who would be the best running mate for Mitt?

Give your reasons for your choice or choices if you like.
Maistre
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 09:05:44 PM »

No, no. Without the support of the morman cabal Mitt is nothing.

I'd say the other way around. Romney might be the only candidate capable of fulfilling Smith's prophecy until one of Mitt's sons starts running for office.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 09:10:48 PM »

Now that there is a Mitt Romney 2016 megathread, and for the record, I do not believe for a moment that Mitt will run for President in 2016, or ever again, but that aide, for the purposes of sheer speculation, let us say that Mitt did run in 2016, knowing what we know now, who would be the best running mate for Mitt?

Susana Martinez would be a great running mate for any Republican, including Romney. Other than her, it would really depend on what type of campaign he plans to run: For example, if he wants to go the moderate route then Susan Collins would be a perfect running mate, as she would attract women and centrists, solidify Romney in New Hampshire, and make Maine competitive. Mark Kirk could foreseeably serve a similar purpose, but his leaving the Senate would give Democrats an automatic pickup. If he takes a rightward turn, Rand Paul could help him attract younger and more libertarian voters. That's all I have for now.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 09:16:54 PM »

I thought you would like this thread my friend. If Mitt doesn't run, who might he endorse?
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 09:43:14 PM »

I thought you would like this thread my friend. If Mitt doesn't run, who might he endorse?

Jeb most likely (based on his 2014 endorsements).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »

Susana Martinez would be pretty good - from a swing state, successful record, appealing to the average American, female, and Latina. It's pretty hard to beat that.

Some other names:
Kelly Ayotte
Nikki Haley
Marco Rubio
Rob Portman
Michael Steele
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2014, 10:42:27 PM »

Susana Martinez would be pretty good - from a swing state, successful record, appealing to the average American, female, and Latina. It's pretty hard to beat that.

Some other names:
Kelly Ayotte
Nikki Haley
Marco Rubio
Rob Portman
Michael Steele

Michael Steele lost in his own state and has little popularity elsewhere. If Romney needs and African American on his ticket, he could choose Tim Scott.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2014, 10:45:15 PM »

Some other names:
Kelly Ayotte
Nikki Haley
Marco Rubio
Rob Portman
Michael Steele

Michael Steele lost in his own state and has little popularity elsewhere. If Romney needs and African American on his ticket, he could choose Tim Scott.
Michael Steele has more name recognition and could attract a broader range of support - he isn't as conservative as Scott is.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »

Indeed, this entire forum owes  you a debt of gratitude for this magnificent thread.

You had a wonderful idea and demonstrated great foresight in creating this thread to discuss one of America's great leaders.

I will have to agree that if Mitt does not run he will endorse and support Jeb.

And I for one do not believe that Mitt will run.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »

An ad discussing how many of Romney's predictions have come true:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A1UQbW1UB8
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2014, 10:11:23 PM »

It wouldn't make sense for Romney to wait until 2020. It's a few months before the 2016 primary is officially underway, and Romney's considered such a strong contender because of a series of lucky breaks unlikely to repeat in a different environment.

I don't think he wants to be Governor again.

He could be a strong Veep. The public and media know him, he's unlikely to get caught in a major scandal, and he could balance tickets for several top Republicans. His connections could be useful in a presidential administration, and his talents are suited for a Veep with a portfolio (IE- put in charge of several major task forces).

I don't believe Mitt Romney wants to be VP.  Being openly on McCain's short list in 2008 was one thing; it was a way to advance his standing for the future.  Now, however, he's a guy who's been a nominee, and a losing one who's taken a lot of criticism.  Being a VP candidate at this stage of the game is something that will ensure that Romney will NEVER be President.

Being second fiddle to any of the lame crowd of Republicans running could never benefit Romney.  And he's not the kind of guy that would be a good VP.  He's not a "hatchet man" and how would it look when Mitt Romney, who has stood on his own in business at an EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL level is reduced to being chairman of the Competitiveness Council or some lame task force?  It would look like a highly successful man lowered himself for limelight. 
If it's June 2016, and Mitt Romney's not the Republican party's nominee for President, he couldn't expect a chance for that to happen in the future.

He might have incentives to be a Biden or Cheney type, a conventionally qualified Veep who can take over in an emergency, add gravitas to a ticket and advise a President. I'm not sure he'd take that deal, but it seems plausible.

He got along with Paul Ryan, so there would be some advantages to doubling down on that. There are plenty of face-saving outs available to avoid that. IE- Paul Ryan believes he ca do more in congress.

Top Republicans elected in 2010 would be more qualified. A reelected Susanna Martinez would be a great choice for any Republican, and fit a theme of Republican governance. A reelected Nikki Haley wouldn't seem like a token pick.

And there may be new Republicans elected in 2014. Cory Gardner would be valuable in a key swing state. A Senator Joni Ernst has a lot of checkmarks (Young, Swing-State, Geographic diversity, Military background, Woman, Legislator, Early friend of Romney's.)
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2014, 02:45:49 AM »

I remember Romney saying Russia was a threat and everyone laughed at him. If he does run again, his foreign policy could emphasise stronger opposition to Russia.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies