Who will win in Connecticut?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:48:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who will win in Connecticut?
Dan Malloy (D), I

Tom Foley (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Who will win in Connecticut?  (Read 1127 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2014, 06:12:41 AM »

Polls:

Quinnipiac - May 1-6, 2014 - Malloy 43% Foley 43% Others 1%
Quinnipiac - February 26 - March 2, 2014 - Malloy 42% Foley 42% Others 1%
Quinnipiac - June 12-17, 2013 - Malloy 40% Foley 43% Others 1%

2010 results: Malloy 49,5% Foley 48,95%
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 06:34:31 AM »

Malloy
cbannon5
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 06:58:04 AM »

My prediction woud be that Foley will win in a very close race.  Connecticut has a history of electing moderate Republicans for governor while electing Democrats for just about everything else. Assuming that the national trends apply to COnnecticut, being a midterm election ought to help with Republican turnout vs. Democratic turonout.  Also, Dannel Malloy has lost  favorability with Independents in the state. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 08:04:45 AM »

Malloy will win. Although CT votes for Rowland and Rell, aside from Simmons and Nancy Johnson, Chris Shays was the true maverick and should have ran.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 08:18:02 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2014, 11:43:58 AM by Never »

Possibly Foley, but at this point the Connecticut gubernatorial race is going to be one of the most difficult races this year to accurately predict.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 08:18:57 AM »

It's gonna depend on the debates.

NHLiberal

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 11:14:20 AM »

First of all, I'd like to remind everyone that Foley is NOT the nominee; there is a much better, more moderate Republican candidate in John McKinney, the state's House Minority Leader.

I think the Republican will win regardless.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »

Saying that Foley isn't the nominee is like saying Charlie Crist isn't the nominee in Florida. The convention only kept McKinney above 15% so that it'd be easier for Foley to beat Boughton in a 3 way race, but now Boughton and Mckinney's running mate are both out. McKinney doesn't have a chance. It would've been much better for Malloy if McKinney could win since he is much easier to beat than Foley, but Foley is making this almost a true toss up. I still think it's a tilt dem at the moment and Bridgeport will probably give Malloy another 4 years.
NHLiberal

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »

Saying that Foley isn't the nominee is like saying Charlie Crist isn't the nominee in Florida. The convention only kept McKinney above 15% so that it'd be easier for Foley to beat Boughton in a 3 way race, but now Boughton and Mckinney's running mate are both out. McKinney doesn't have a chance. It would've been much better for Malloy if McKinney could win since he is much easier to beat than Foley, but Foley is making this almost a true toss up. I still think it's a tilt dem at the moment and Bridgeport will probably give Malloy another 4 years.

McKinney would be a stronger GE candidate than Foley. He perfectly fits the profile of moderate Republican CT Governor.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 12:42:11 PM »

Foley has more money and name recognition though.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 01:41:15 PM »

I'm compelled to say Foley due to approval ratings, but I need more polling
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »

Malloy.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 01:44:25 PM »

Eh they only did that last time because voting stayed open late
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 02:07:48 PM »

Malloy's officially certified margin of victory statewide in 2010 was 6,404. Bridgeport's margin of victory for Malloy was 13,874. When the closing of the polls was pushed back from 8 to 10 PM in Bridgeport, voting had already been open for 14 hours. Do you believe that 50% of Malloy's votes in that city were cast in the final two hours of voting?

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 02:20:48 PM »

NHLiberal

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »

I tend to think a lot more seats will flip in 2014 than most people here do. I think the Republicans will pick up CT, IL, and AR (with decent chances in HI and CO and non-negligible chances in MA), but I also think the Democrats will pick up MI, PA, ME, WI, KS, GA, SC, AND FL (with decent chances in AZ and OH and non-negligible chances in IA and NE).

I think this year's gubernatorial elections will look like 2002 with lots of seats flipping on both sides.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 02:39:52 PM »

I think that the chances of Malloy losing in CT are the same as Brownback losing in KS.  In other words, both states break for their respective parties.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 03:10:05 PM »

Malloy's officially certified margin of victory statewide in 2010 was 6,404. Bridgeport's margin of victory for Malloy was 13,874. When the closing of the polls was pushed back from 8 to 10 PM in Bridgeport, voting had already been open for 14 hours. Do you believe that 50% of Malloy's votes in that city were cast in the final two hours of voting?

Damn close enough
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »

I tend to think a lot more seats will flip in 2014 than most people here do. I think the Republicans will pick up CT, IL, and AR (with decent chances in HI and CO and non-negligible chances in MA), but I also think the Democrats will pick up MI, PA, ME, WI, KS, GA, SC, AND FL (with decent chances in AZ and OH and non-negligible chances in IA and NE).

I think this year's gubernatorial elections will look like 2002 with lots of seats flipping on both sides.

Everything I highlighted I disagree with,  with SC, IA, and KS just being pipe dreams
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2014, 04:06:00 PM by Castro2020 »

I'm assuming that Bridgeport will order more than just 1/3 of the needed ballots this time. Plus, the number of people that gave up and went home earlier in the day probably outnumbered the people that showed up to vote in the extra 2 hours. If there had not been a problem in the first place, Malloy's margin might have been even larger.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 05:25:34 PM »

Foley.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 05:27:47 PM »

Foley. Partisan lean rarely saves a truly disliked governor the way it does a Senator or Congressman.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »

I think Malloy will win ultimately.
illegaloperation

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 10:39:03 PM »

Malloy will win.

Malloy may not be popular, but he isn't in Brownback territory.
NHLiberal

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 11:06:05 PM »

Everything I highlighted I disagree with,  with SC, IA, and KS just being pipe dreams

You don't think we'll pick up Maine? And Kansas a pipe dream? LOL look at a poll. And yeah Iowa we probably won't win, but gun to my head I do think we take South Carolina.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies