Opinion of Jury Nullification (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:06:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Jury Nullification (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of Jury Nullification  (Read 22113 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« on: July 06, 2014, 07:21:10 PM »

The question as to whether or not juries should be informed of it strikes me as pretty silly. The fact that jurors have this right should be blatantly obvious to anyone.

And I'd have to say I'm for it, since there are certain laws (the most obvious of course being marijuana) that I simply would not be willing to ever convict someone of as a matter of conscience. So it'd be kind of hypocritical for me to say that's wrong.

If you were selected to serve on a jury for a marijuana case, and you were asked something to the effect of  "Do you have any beliefs that would prevent you from making a decision based solely on the law?" (which is standard practice in Mississippi), what would your response be?

If its phrased exactly like that, then I would say no, as one could make the argument that the specific statute prohibiting marijuana contradicts a higher law. If the question was "Do you have any beliefs that would prevent you from making a decision based solely on the [insert marijuana statute here]?" then I would probably say yes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies