2008: An Unexpected Comeback
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:56:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: An Unexpected Comeback
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008: An Unexpected Comeback  (Read 2299 times)
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2014, 08:26:53 PM »

And we are getting word here that we have the final results for the Iowa Republican Caucuses. As you can see, former Vice-President Dan Quayle has won in a narrow margin.

Dan Quayle - 29.8%
Mike Huckabee - 23.4%
Mitt Romney 14.6%
Ron Paul 13.3%
John McCain 10.9%
Fred Thompson 6.1%
Rudy Giuliani 1.9%

We are going now to Dan Quayle's victory speech.

Thank you Iowa! We did it! We've shown that the American People want common sense principles in the White House, someone who has experience, someone who knows how to handle an economy! We need to get back to the values that brought the Reagan years of prosperity! And who better than someone who was there fighting for those principles! Let's take these principles to the White House!

*The Democratic Primaries are unchanged
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 08:35:43 PM »

Oh, Christ...
Jahnson
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 09:53:10 PM »

My thoughts exactly. This should be an interesting timeline, looking forward to it Smiley
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 11:12:54 PM »

Can I get some explanation for his rise?
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 11:20:39 PM »

Sure, I'll put that in the next update.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 11:42:32 PM »

11:00pm News:
Well, after this stunning victory, I think it is proof that Vice-President Quayle has really changed the public's opinion of him.

It's not over yet, but when Fox News first brought him on as an analyst in 2006, I was skeptical.

Indeed, there was a spike in viewership that day just to see him mess up like it was the 90's.

No one expected clear cut answers that made him look like he knew what was going on, and that he had a plan to change it.

When he jumped into the race in September of '07, people thought he was going to burn out like his 2000 campaign.

They sure did, but when he got into the debates, he really showed his own, and his Fox News experience kept him up to date on the issues. He really has appealed to the Christian Right in this campaign, which was what Governor Huckabee was going for... in fact... We have breaking news, Governor Huckabee has conceded Iowa to Quayle... Let's go straight to his speech right now.

It is obvious to me that without the support of Iowa, we cannot win this race. I am extremely grateful for all of those who supported me. I felt called to run in this race, now I am called to exit it. It is with a heavy heart that I do this, but there is one candidate that I can endorse, one who believes in true Reagan conservatism, one who will stand up for his convictions, Vice-President Dan Quayle!

Back at the studio:
Well that shakes up the race, Governor Huckabee endorses Vice-President Quayle. That's more momentum for Quayle, and he is going to be looking pretty good in the next few primaries, but we will see.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 05:22:15 PM »

Democrats are having a field day with this one: Quayle winning the GOP nomination.

Bigger question is what happens to McCain ?

Another question is will Quayle pull a Nixon and use that Southern Strategy aggressively and court white Blue Collar voters in the Midwest ?
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:26:27 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2014, 10:32:39 PM by MadmanMotley »

New Hampshire Primary:
100% Reporting

Mitt Romney 32.5%
Ron Paul 18.2%
Dan Quayle 17.9%
John McCain 17.3%
Rudy Giuliani 10.6%
Fred Thompson 5.5%

Well, it appears that Mitt Romney walked away with this primary, however the fact Senator McCain, Mayor Giuliani, and Senator Thompson all placed back in the back may shape this race.

Indeed, I believe that South Carolina will determine who lives and who dies in this campaign. If McCain can't win a state he did in 2000, it's not a good sign.

Sure thing, I think that if he doesn't win South Carolina, or at least place a close second, he's out of this race.

And Mayor Giuliani may be done after this, it is his backyard, and his poll numbers are not fairly well after the past few debate gaffes.... actually, we are getting word that Giuliani is giving his concession speech right now, let's go to that...

Thank you! Unfortunately, we did not come out on top in this primary. I am no quitter, but even I know when it is not possible to win. I congratulate Mitt Romney on his win tonight, and wish him the best. I want to thank all of those that supported me, and those who worked on my campaign. But tonight I must end my campaign. I will not yet endorse a candidate, but I will endorse the eventual nominee.

Well, that wasn't too surprising, but I did think he would stay in the race a bit longer.

Smart move though, bowing out early could garner him a VP slot.

It will all play out in time, let's go now to the Romney victory speech...

We did it New Hampshire! We took conservative credentials, and proven leadership and won here. We've proven our credibility, and won! I want to thank everyone for your help here, from the voters at the polls, to my campaign workers, I could not have done this without you all! Let's take this campaign all the way to the White House! Let's work together to win!

Well, that's all for our coverage here in New Hampshire, look forward to our South Carolina, Michigan, and Nevada coverage in a few days.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:15:19 PM »

Michigan Primary Results:
100% Reporting

Dan Quayle 30.4%
Mitt Romney 30.3%
John McCain 29.7%
Ron Paul 6.4%
Fred Thompson 3.2%

And there we have it, after one long night of counting votes we can finally declare Dan Quayle the winner.

Talk about a squeaker, most pundits thought that this race would fall to Romney, considering his connections to the state.

But, I guess it wasn't to be, Dan Quayle rallying support from all sides to clinch this win.

Do we have the South Carolina results yet?

Indeed we do, and talk about another close race, here are the results:

South Carolina Primary:
100% reporting

Dan Quayle 28.9%
John McCain 28.2%
Mitt Romney 25.6%
Fred Thompson 12.2%
Ron Paul 5.1%

Two big wins for Quayle, he is the clear front-runner now.

No doubt, his appeal to both conservatives and moderates is surprising considering his record as Vice-President.

Well, he has direct ties the the Reagan administration, something he has consistently advertised.

John McCain has just announced that he is withdrawing from the race, no endorsement yet.

Well, not a huge surprise, South Carolina was his last stand.

And Fred Thompson has just endorsed Quayle, calling him the "the next Reagan."

Quayle looks almost unstoppable now, compared to the duel of the ages in the democratic primary, that may help him in the general election.

Well, now that's all for tonight folks, please tune in again for the rest of Election 2008 coverage.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 10:35:42 PM »

Dan-mentum!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 07:29:26 AM »

Dan Quayle would be an extremely viable candidate in 2016.  He would combine political experience with a career in private enterprise and a rest from public life that would allow him to run as something of an outsider.  He AND his wife are seen as “Movement Conservatives”.  He has ties to the religious right, and his comments on the plague of vanishing fathers in America has proven painfully accurate; even some liberals have come around to recognizing his correctness on “Murphy Brown” in 1992. 

The things that Quayle was attacked for back then (spelling “potatoe” wrong, the National Guard thing, the “you’re no Jack Kennedy” line from Bentsen) aren’t issues now; they would be no more viable as talking points in 2016 then the “Tricky Dick” image was for Nixon in 1968.  Quayle will be 68 in 2016, and he will be seen as mature and experienced in a Mitt Romney way, without the baggage of Mitt Romney. 

Indeed, Dan Quayle is the strongest candidate the GOP could possibly put up in 2016.  That’s kind of like saying that Gary Danielson was the best QB in the WFL, but Quayle would be a tremendous candidate, as opposed to the various flavors of the month out there now; none of them really having a chance against Hillary.
NHLiberal

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 02:15:10 PM »

Dan Quayle would be an extremely viable candidate in 2016.  He would combine political experience with a career in private enterprise and a rest from public life that would allow him to run as something of an outsider.  He AND his wife are seen as “Movement Conservatives”.  He has ties to the religious right, and his comments on the plague of vanishing fathers in America has proven painfully accurate; even some liberals have come around to recognizing his correctness on “Murphy Brown” in 1992. 

The things that Quayle was attacked for back then (spelling “potatoe” wrong, the National Guard thing, the “you’re no Jack Kennedy” line from Bentsen) aren’t issues now; they would be no more viable as talking points in 2016 then the “Tricky Dick” image was for Nixon in 1968.  Quayle will be 68 in 2016, and he will be seen as mature and experienced in a Mitt Romney way, without the baggage of Mitt Romney. 

Indeed, Dan Quayle is the strongest candidate the GOP could possibly put up in 2016.  That’s kind of like saying that Gary Danielson was the best QB in the WFL, but Quayle would be a tremendous candidate, as opposed to the various flavors of the month out there now; none of them really having a chance against Hillary.

Please, run him
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 11:13:02 PM »

Fast-Forward: The Convention

Dan Quayle
Mitt Romney
Ron Paul

Welcome to the 2008 RNC, where we are witnessing one of the first brokered conventions in decades.

Today the three candidates that have had sufficient support to be nominated will be voted on by the delegates.

First Round of voting:
Dan Quayle: 1,033
Mitt Romney: 989
Ron Paul: 358

After this first round of voting, the delegates are now free to choose who they shall support. There will be a 15 minute period between each vote.

Please join us in a few minutes as our Convention coverage continues.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 08:52:06 PM »

Many hours and ballots later....

Welcome back America, after seven ballots the candidates met to chose a compromise candidate. After much back and forth the three candidates all agreed on one candidate and the VP candidate. Coming up on state is the Republican vice-presidential nominee to introduce the presidential nominee.

Former Lieutenant-Governor of Maryland, Michael Steele
I want to thank all the candidates for my nomination to be the Republican vice-presidential candidate! These three men put aside their differences to chose a man who will lead the party to victory this November! Tonight I present to you a man with conviction, leadership, and the guts to be president! Introducing the Republican presidential nominee, Governor Mark Sanford!

Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina
Thank you! When I was approached by the three candidates I was shocked, that they would chose me to lead the party. They came to me saying that I was the only candidate that could unite all factions of the party. However we must do more than just unite the party, we must unite the nation! Over the past few years our country has slid down hill, and we must work together to fix this nation! Let's get this country back to work!

Well there you have it folks, the Republican Ticket no one expected, Sanford/Steele.

Most people haven't heard of these two candidates.

That could work in their favor, as many are falling away from Washington Republicans. Nominating two candidates that have no connections to that is a good thing.

Indeed, let's look a some post convention polling.

Current polling w/tossups:

Mark Sanford (R-SC)/Michael Steele (R-MD) 189EV
Barack Obama (D-IL)/Joe Biden (D-DE) 212EV

Without tossups:

Mark Sanford (R-SC)/Michael Steele (R-MD) 273EV
Barack Obama (D-IL)/Joe Biden (D-DE) 265EV
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 10:16:22 PM »

So the appalachian trail never happened?
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 10:20:10 PM »

IIRC Argentinian Trail was in 09, but he did have baggage before that....
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 12:27:52 AM »

The Election:

This has been quite the election, a brokered convention, and the primary upset for the Democrats.

Let's give some overview.

Both parties came out strong from their conventions. Sanford ran on experience, Obama on change.

While Sanford hit Obama hard in the first debate and Steele made a fool out of Biden, the last two debates Obama won by a fair margin.

Now we have the final results for the election, after several recounts.

Barack Obama/Joe Biden 269EV 49.7%
Mark Sanford/Michael Steele 269EV 49.4%

House:
233 D
222 R

Senate:
50 R
50 D

And after the results from congress we have the next president and vice-president of the United States!

Barack Obama/Michael Steele
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 06:34:07 AM »

According to the 12th amendment, each state gets one vote for president, which the Reps. decide by themselves.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/austin-ostro/the-electoral-tie-what-a-_b_2002964.html
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »

Epilogue:
After Partisan deadlock for four years, people were upset with President Obama's leadership. With no major bill passing the congress. In 2010 the Republicans won the House and Senate, and with the Vice-President on their side managed to cut a few taxes, but overall nothing significant. Vice-President Michael Steele deferred in the Republican Primaries to former VP. Quayle, and then Steele stayed on as VP.
2012:

Pres. Barack Obama (D-IL)/Sen. Evan Bayh (D-IN) 257EV 48.7%
Fmr. VP Dan Quayle (R-IN)/VP. Michael Steele (R-MD) 281EV 49.9%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies