How would you characterize WalterMitty's "ideology?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:23:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How would you characterize WalterMitty's "ideology?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: How would you characterize WalterMitty's "ideology?"  (Read 2172 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2014, 10:00:40 PM »

Why are you all so obsessed with it? He has been trolling you guys for ten years now, and Joe Republic seems to be the only guy who nailed it on the head.

I thought he was, too, but how many people do you know could endure going by a fake identity - political or otherwise - for ten years?

Walter's not at all different on Facebook than he is on here, FTR.

He's on FB?

Mmmhmm.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 11:18:26 PM »

An honest liberal.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 03:13:21 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Wow, that was the most Democratic I've ever heard WalterMitty sound, and he was apparently a Republican at the time? Yeah, I'm just gonna go with "contrarian".
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2014, 03:14:15 AM »

Because liberals all secretly support right to work, we just hide it because reasons.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 06:37:16 AM »

Not educated properly in politics.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2014, 07:12:27 AM »

I never understood peoples' issue with Walter. His set of views never struck me as very odd (and may in fact be fairly typical of a Swedish liberal) and given those views it makes sense that he was a Republican at the time and a Democrat now.

He does use provocative language quite often to incense people but that's all part of the fun. I have no doubt his views are fundamentally sincere.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »

I never understood peoples' issue with Walter. His set of views never struck me as very odd (and may in fact be fairly typical of a Swedish liberal) and given those views it makes sense that he was a Republican at the time and a Democrat now.

Even the "admiring Dick Cheney" bit?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2014, 08:45:04 AM »

Unique
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 08:48:37 AM »

Incidentally, why does he never use capital letters?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »

One of the last New Deal Democrats.  He reminds me a lot of Truman, JFK, LBJ, Hubert Humphrey, and the like.  A populist who is liberal on economic issues but with some conservative leanings on social and foreign policy.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 11:27:19 AM »

Jfern was completely correct in that 2006 thread, and all the right-leaning people against him, Democrat or otherwise, were totally (self)-deluded.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2014, 11:27:33 AM »

Because liberals all secretly support right to work, we just hide it because reasons.

I thought you described yourself as a social democrat?

One of the last New Deal Democrats.  He reminds me a lot of Truman, JFK, LBJ, Hubert Humphrey, and the like.  A populist who is liberal on economic issues but with some conservative leanings on social and foreign policy.

Please never post again, thanks.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2014, 12:23:26 PM »

One of the last New Deal Democrats.  He reminds me a lot of Truman, JFK, LBJ, Hubert Humphrey, and the like.  A populist who is liberal on economic issues but with some conservative leanings on social and foreign policy.

You do realize he's more or less the exact opposite?
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »

lol
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2014, 12:43:50 PM by traininthedistance »

I thought you described yourself as a social democrat?

Um, hate to break it to you, but pretty sure IceSpear is being facetious here, and mocking your strawman.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2014, 12:43:33 PM »

He referred to liberals as "we," which would indicate that he considered himself a liberal. To my point, I don't necessarily think that liberals support RTW, but in states where they have majority control of the legislature and the Governorship that are RTW or have had that in the past, they haven't done much of anything to repeal it. Liberal politicians support unions insofar as unions put cash into their re-election coffers; since the 1980s, they've time and time again raised more cash from capital than from labor, and so the historic alliance between labor and the liberals established in the New Deal has become more and more meaningless, which we see in attacks upon public sector workers by liberal Governors and liberal state legislatures, like those in Illinois and Massachusetts.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2014, 03:46:03 PM »

That isn't really a political position and probably something he does to be provocative. Clarence admires Hillary Clinton, but it doesn't make him a Democrat.

I was more focused on his policy views.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »

That isn't really a political position and probably something he does to be provocative. Clarence admires Hillary Clinton, but it doesn't make him a Democrat.

Didn't Clarence defected to the Democrats last year?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »

He referred to liberals as "we," which would indicate that he considered himself a liberal. To my point, I don't necessarily think that liberals support RTW, but in states where they have majority control of the legislature and the Governorship that are RTW or have had that in the past, they haven't done much of anything to repeal it. Liberal politicians support unions insofar as unions put cash into their re-election coffers; since the 1980s, they've time and time again raised more cash from capital than from labor, and so the historic alliance between labor and the liberals established in the New Deal has become more and more meaningless, which we see in attacks upon public sector workers by liberal Governors and liberal state legislatures, like those in Illinois and Massachusetts.

I'm a Social Democrat in a worldwide context, but consider myself a liberal in the American context. In this country, politics is widely viewed in the lens of "liberal vs. conservative".

After looking at the map of the 24 right to work states, most of these states haven't been fully controlled by Democrats in a long time. After the dirty Republican tricks in Michigan and Indiana, I'm hoping that Democrats ram through right-to-work repeal by any means necessary the second they gain the trifecta in any of these states. Unfortunately, that will never happen any time soon in most of them.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »

Let walter be walter.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »

Clarence is a Democrat...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »

Cheney is one step beyond in terms of "everyone in the opposing party hates his/her guts" than Hillary (not that Hillary isn't hated by the GOP, of course).
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »

socially my politics are quite liberal.

economically i do believe the government should help the least of us, which is why i dislike obama's food stamp cuts, while he gives away billions to big agri-business.

but i believe in pro-growth economic policies like lower taxes, minimal regulations and less labor unions.  unions have destroyed every industry theyve been involved with.

im a foreign policy realist.  i feel like too many democrats are living in dream land.  it is a dangerous world and we must stay on the offensive against those who wish to do us harm.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2014, 06:20:30 PM »

socially my politics are quite liberal.

Albeit authoritarian.

You're so economically liberal that you not only support RTW laws, but that proposing one would be at the top of your agenda if you were elected to the MA Legislature.

Talk about having your cake and eating it, too!

Most Democratic politicians have the same foreign policy positions as you.

Typical JIDF-supported nonsense.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2014, 06:21:40 PM »

Didn't Obama "cut" food stamps only in the sense that the temporary increases in the 2009 stimulus bill expired, leaving them at the level they were before?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies