Kids raised by gay couples are better off than kids raised by everyone else
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:43:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kids raised by gay couples are better off than kids raised by everyone else
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kids raised by gay couples are better off than kids raised by everyone else  (Read 2198 times)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/07/05/3456717/kids-raised-by-same-sex-couples-are-healthier-and-happier/

I found this pretty interesting.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 03:38:06 PM »

Makes sense. People who are going to adopt usually take their job more seriously and do a better job than most people. Especially when we consider unwanted births at a young age, or single parents with the rest of the population.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 03:44:22 PM »

Divorce does the greatest harm to kids.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 04:29:04 PM »

Makes sense. People who are going to adopt usually take their job more seriously and do a better job than most people. Especially when we consider unwanted births at a young age, or single parents with the rest of the population.

I see they adjusted for income/education. However, the study appears to have neglected adjusted for:
a) Unplanned pregnancies/unwanted children
b) Single parenthood

I'd say those are the two major factors that would harm a child's development. Indeed the headline might as well be "Wanted children from intact homes do better than everyone else".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:34:53 PM »

no surprise
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 05:03:39 PM »

The study actually says "same-sex attracted parents" so it is ambiguous if this was limited to couples.

The selection method was "recruited using online and traditional recruitment techniques, accessing same-sex attracted parents through news media, community events and community groups". They then just compared that to other studies of the general population (rather than a control group), so I'm not sure how much can be gleaned from this.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »

Yes, gays are less likely to indulge in religious nutterism, having been the victims of it. People raised without religion are going to be much better off. So many of the tykes raised by heteros are subjected to the psychological torture of willful ignorance and threats of eternal damnation. It's amazing they turn out as well as they do.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 06:15:28 PM »

Yes, gays are less likely to indulge in religious nutterism, having been the victims of it. People raised without religion are going to be much better off. So many of the tykes raised by heteros are subjected to the psychological torture of willful ignorance and threats of eternal damnation. It's amazing they turn out as well as they do.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 07:37:14 PM »

A bisexual friend of mine has said that he has basically had to cut off communication with his parents, because every time he tries to catch up even just to say hi, they insist on preaching to him about how he's "lost his way".  I've actually known about a dozen people in similar situations, in fact.  It's tragic.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 07:45:58 PM »

A bisexual friend of mine has said that he has basically had to cut off communication with his parents, because every time he tries to catch up even just to say hi, they insist on preaching to him about how he's "lost his way".  I've actually known about a dozen people in similar situations, in fact.  It's tragic.
same. although oddly most of the people i know that match the above description are ex-mormon women.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 07:46:17 PM »

Only if one of the dads knows how to style hair.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 08:58:48 PM »

That's adorable
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:37:11 AM »

#outlawstraightparenting #keepamericastrong
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 02:18:53 AM »

#outlawstraightparenting #keepamericastrong

Agree.  #mandatorygaymarriageforall #oddmanoutgetsromneysmansion
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 02:53:50 AM »

That actually happened to me this week upon the visit of Michael's grandparents. More on that later.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 07:36:43 AM »

Stable families are the ideal. Once a child becomes a part of a divorce, that child becomes vulnerable to much of the pathology of single-parenthood. Of course there may have been damage before the divorce.

I wouldn't envy a child of economic privilege who becomes a victim of parental divorce. The child might learn to play off one parent against the other, a situation good for material indulgence but disastrous for character.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 09:18:23 AM »

same. although oddly most of the people i know that match the above description are ex-mormon women.
There is nothing sadder than parents choosing their religion over their children. And, yet, people do it constantly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »

I see they adjusted for income/education. However, the study appears to have neglected adjusted for:
b) Single parenthood

I'd say those are the two major factors that would harm a child's development. Indeed the headline might as well be "Wanted children from intact homes do better than everyone else".

I also note that the while the survey covered 315 parents and 500 children, it appears that the questions were asked only of the parents.  Also, the participants were recruited.  Without a comparison group of heterosexual couples surveyed under the same conditions by the same surveyors, I'm dubious of the statistical validity of the study, especially insofar as the specific claims being made.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »

Furthermore I'm not sure how this is valid without a control (heterosexual) group,
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »

b) Single parenthood

By reading the abstract, it seems as if they accounted for single parenthood.  The study started with parents who identified as same-sex attracted, not people who are currently in same sex relationships.

In theory, this would account for same-sex single parents.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies