Potential dark horse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:22:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Potential dark horse
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Potential dark horse  (Read 1093 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:35:47 PM »

Could Michael Steele be a potential dark horse in a Republican primary or as a VP pick in 2016? I know he has limited experience in elected office but he presided over one of the largest Republican victories ever when he was RNC Chairman. He also led a "Fire Pelosi" bus tour. If his campaign could replicate this creativity and innovation, he could be a threat. He has been an advocate of giving the GOP a hip hop makeover. Is Michael Steele the dark horse superstar sitting right before the GOP's eyes?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:42:01 PM »

I highly, highly doubt the GOP will pick someone who's only elected position was Lt. Governor of Maryland.
NHLiberal

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:51:43 PM »

OMG please stop with these nonsensical suggestions
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:54:54 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2014, 10:59:48 PM by Napoleon »

If you said Barack Obama was going to be the next President right after Bush's reelection, people would be saying that to you. Politics is so unpredictable these days, Obama proved dark horse candidates can win. Everyone thought Hillary Clinton and John Edwards were the serious contenders. If you're paying attention, I said "potential dark horse" not "clear front runner". Please discuss the topic at hand in context.
NHLiberal

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 11:25:12 PM »

If you said Barack Obama was going to be the next President right after Bush's reelection, people would be saying that to you. Politics is so unpredictable these days, Obama proved dark horse candidates can win. Everyone thought Hillary Clinton and John Edwards were the serious contenders. If you're paying attention, I said "potential dark horse" not "clear front runner". Please discuss the topic at hand in context.

You're missing it...Obama was young, charismatic, inspiring, and a United States Senator. Steele is boring, hasn't held an office higher than Lieutenant Governor, and lost both his 2006 election for Senate and his 2010 reelection bid as RNC chair. Comparing Steele to Obama is quite ludicrous in fact; I'm not saying you have to be a big name to have a shot at the presidency, but there are certain things you need if you want to rise as a dark horse and Steele does not have any of those.

You already know all that though...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 11:41:19 PM »

I don't think it's unrealistic. Granted, he starts out at a disadvantage by not having elected office, but 2010 was considered one of the biggest wave elections and Steele presided under it, which shows a strong amount of leadership. Additionally he would be appealing to party leaders as an African-American. As long as he runs to the right, he should have a pretty good chance at the nomination. In terms of the general, if he runs like he did for Governor he could be a formidable opponent to Hillary - if she doesn't nominate a black VP I could see African-Americans leaving the Democratic Party in droves.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 11:55:25 PM »

Presiding over the Republican victories of 2010 means piss-all. Come on. A steaming pile of garbage could've been the RNC chairman at the time and we still would've seen Republicans take the House.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 04:23:32 AM »

Neigh to that
NHLiberal

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 08:25:29 AM »

Presiding over the Republican victories of 2010 means piss-all. Come on. A steaming pile of garbage could've been the RNC chairman at the time and we still would've seen Republicans take the House.

I don't think it's unrealistic. Granted, he starts out at a disadvantage by not having elected office, but 2010 was considered one of the biggest wave elections and Steele presided under it, which shows a strong amount of leadership. Additionally he would be appealing to party leaders as an African-American. As long as he runs to the right, he should have a pretty good chance at the nomination. In terms of the general, if he runs like he did for Governor he could be a formidable opponent to Hillary - if she doesn't nominate a black VP I could see African-Americans leaving the Democratic Party in droves.

I think he's joking...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 08:29:26 AM »

Literally?  He is literally a horse?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »

Napoleon is doing god's work in the 2016 forum.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 12:41:24 PM »

You're missing it...Obama was young, charismatic, inspiring, and a United States Senator. Steele is boring, hasn't held an office higher than Lieutenant Governor, and lost both his 2006 election for Senate and his 2010 reelection bid as RNC chair. Comparing Steele to Obama is quite ludicrous in fact; I'm not saying you have to be a big name to have a shot at the presidency, but there are certain things you need if you want to rise as a dark horse and Steele does not have any of those.

You already know all that though...

You're ignoring all the important anecdotes. Look at the 2012 GOP primary. Herman Cain emerged as a dark horse despite NEVER holding elected office. Now he didn't win but at one point he was a threat. I'm asking if dark horse Michael Steele could maybe replicate or surpass that level of success.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »

Like Napoleon said, Herman Cain came from nowhere in 2012 and potentially would have won the nomination without the scandal.

Compared to Cain, Michael Steele has much more name recognition. If Herman Cain can win the nomination, so can Steele. The difference is that Steele would be an extremely formidable opponent to Hillary in the General Election - Cain wouldn't.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »

I think he's joking...

I know he's joking. I'm just don't think Steele deserves credit for anything whatsoever. Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 02:19:17 AM »

Michael Steele is exactly what the Republican Party needs in a nominee. Godspeed
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies