RISK Domination XI: Finished!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:54:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK Domination XI: Finished!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17
Author Topic: RISK Domination XI: Finished!!  (Read 37794 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:09:26 AM »
« edited: September 23, 2014, 01:05:02 PM by Joe Republic »

Welcome to the return of Atlas Forum RISK!  Six generals will battle it out to defeat their opponents and conquer the entire United States; using strategy, smarts, brute strength, and a healthy dose of 'risk'.

The six generals who will be playing in this game are (in no particular order): Jas, Polnut, Snowstalker, Matt from VT, HagridOfTheDeep and Tyrion.  The winner will be permitted to stay on and defend their championship title in the next game.

There are only a few main differences between this version of RISK and the traditional version, which will be detailed below.

The map

The biggest difference is clearly the map we'll be using.  Instead of 42 territories in the world, our map is based on the 48 contiguous states of the US.  This difference has forced a few more rules to change; e.g. the number of initial deployments, the number and layout of the regions, etc.

For clarification, no border exists between Utah and New Mexico and between Arizona and Colorado (the 'Four Corners'); there is no border between Massachusetts and Maine; and there is a border between Delaware and New Jersey.

Here is the map showing the layout and bonus value of the regions (which will be explained later):

Starting the game

The states will be distributed randomly, and the method by which the battalions are deployed will be explained in one of the next few posts.

To begin with, all players will be given 25 battalions each to deploy among their states at the start of the game.  All battalions must be deployed, and each state must contain at least 1 battalion (at all times throughout the game).

Taking a turn

As in the traditional game, each player's turn is divided up into three stages, which must be performed in order:

1. Reinforcements

Each player will receive a number of battalions equal to their number of states divided by three, rounded to the closest whole number.  A minimum of three battalions is granted even if that formula would equal less than three.  So, for example, if a player controls 11 states, they'll get 4 reinforcements (11/3 = 3.7).

For easy reference:

10 states or fewer = 3 reinforcements
11-13 states = 4 reinforcements
14-16 states = 5 reinforcements
17-19 states = 6 reinforcements
20-22 states = 7 reinforcements
And so on.

Players will also receive a bonus number of reinforcements if they control any of the regions as shown in the map above at this point of their turn.  The number of reinforcements they'll receive depends on which region(s) they control, and those numbers are given in the table in the map itself.

Players may also trade in any sets of cards at this point too.  Cards will be explained in more depth later.  This is the only stage of your turn in which you may trade in cards.

2. Attack

Since this is a message board based game, I've had to employ a slightly different method to ensure that attack phases are performed efficiently and as quickly as possible.

All you need to do in this stage is post how many battalions you're sending to attack a neighboring state, how many of them you're willing to risk losing before calling a retreat, and how many battalions you want to leave in that state if you conquer it.

On that last part, you'll need to leave a minimum of three battalions there; if you attacked with less than three battalions, then you'll just have to keep however many battalions you used there.  Unless you specify how many battalions you're putting in your conquered state, I'll assume you want the maximum there.  If you say that your attack order is to "do or die", then there will be no retreat and the maximum number of battalions will be left in the conquered state.

You may attack as many states as you want during this stage, or none at all if you wish.  But always remember to leave at least 1 battalion in each of your states at all times.

If you conquer at least one state during this stage, you'll receive one card.  You will not receive any more than one card per turn, unless you destroy an opponent; in which case you receive any cards they were holding as well.

The dice rolls are performed using an online random number generator, found here.  You'll just have to trust me that I'll do it fairly. Smiley

3. Tactical Move

Once you've finished your attack phase, you may perform a tactical move if you wish.  You can move as many battalions as you want from one of your states to one neighboring state (remembering to leave one battalion behind, of course).  You may only perform one tactical move each turn.

Cards

Cards work on exactly the same principle as in the traditional version.  In this version, each card represents one of the 48 states, and a RISK figurine (either an infantryman, cavalry, or cannon).  In addition to the 48 state cards, there are two wildcards.

Once you've collected a 'set' of three cards, you may trade them in at your next turn for more reinforcements.  A set of cards can be: three infantrymen (worth four extra battalions); three cavalry (worth six extra battalions); three cannons (worth eight extra battalions); or one of each (worth ten extra battalions).

On trading in your cards, you'll receive an additional 2 battalions for each card that represents a state that you control.  Those battalions will only be placed in that particular state.

The wildcards do not represent any state, and are simply a stand-in figurine in order to make any set of three cards.

Cards are dealt randomly, and the state represented on each one will not have any deliberate connection with states you conquered during that turn.

Your cards will be sent to you by PM, and it is your responsibility to keep them secret.  I'll be keeping a record of who has what card, for organization's sake.

Clarifications of rules

I've tried to make sure everything is clear here.  However, if you want me to clarify any of the above rules, I'll be happy to do so. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 01:33:10 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2014, 12:26:50 AM by Joe Republic »

First map

Here's the first map, displaying each player's randomly distributed states, as well as the randomly decided order of turns:

GENERALS

[1]  HagridOfTheDeep

[2]  Matt from VT

[3]  Jas

[4]  Snowstalker

[5]  Polnut

[6]  Tyrion

The next step is for you all to decide how you want your initial 25 battalions to be deployed.  As you can see, I've already placed 1 in each state for you, which leaves you with 17 to deploy wherever you please.

Instructions

Please send me a PM with your deployment orders for your first 4 battalions.  I'll then post an updated map, and we'll repeat.

Do not post your deployments here.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:39:37 AM »

Well Polnut got lucky. Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 03:05:39 AM »

Christ almighty.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 11:36:02 AM »

Wow...Hagrid's not concentrated much of anywhere. G'luck, buddy.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »

Snowstalker isn't in such great shape either Tongue
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 06:38:40 PM »

Yeah, at least Hagrid gets to go first. Snowstalker doesn't even have that luxury.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:52:48 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2014, 07:59:54 PM by Vosem »

Yeah, at least Hagrid gets to go first. Snowstalker doesn't even have that luxury.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like there's a region in the middle of the western part of the map (Tongue) where Snowstalker has a presence where all the other presences (Jas, Tyrion, Matt) seem likely to focus elsewhere, leaving that free for Snowstalker. Hagrid has to choose between confronting Matt in the Pacific, confronting Tyrion in the Southeast, and trying to consolidate the Plains -- none of which look any better than 50/50 odds of surviving the first few rounds.

Of course, if even one player makes an unorthodox choice on where to reinforce now (or splits up their reinforcements between multiple different regions), all our calculations now fall apart. It's still pretty early in the game.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 10:05:02 PM »

I'm not sayin' nothin'. Tongue But yes that's my assessment.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 12:21:48 AM »

Just waiting on Polnut to send me his first batch of deployments...
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »

Just waiting on Polnut to send me his first batch of deployments...

But I did!! Re-pming...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 11:49:57 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2014, 12:26:31 AM by Joe Republic »

Second map

GENERALS

[1]  HagridOfTheDeep

[2]  Matt from VT

[3]  Jas

[4]  Snowstalker

[5]  Polnut

[6]  Tyrion

Alright, and now the next 4 deployment instructions by PM, please.  Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2014, 12:26:06 AM by Joe Republic »

Third map

GENERALS

[1]  HagridOfTheDeep

[2]  Matt from VT

[3]  Jas

[4]  Snowstalker

[5]  Polnut

[6]  Tyrion

Alright, and now the next 4 deployment instructions by PM, please.  Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 04:54:12 PM »

Fourth map

GENERALS

[1]  HagridOfTheDeep

[2]  Matt from VT

[3]  Jas

[4]  Snowstalker

[5]  Polnut

[6]  Tyrion

Now, your final five deployments, please.  Then we can begin. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 03:10:01 PM »

And at last, we're ready to go!:

GENERALS

[1]  HagridOfTheDeep

[2]  Matt from VT

[3]  Jas

[4]  Snowstalker

[5]  Polnut

[6]  Tyrion

HagridOfTheDeep: it is your turn.  You have 3 reinforcements.

+ [8 states ÷ 3 = 3 reinforcements]
+ [No regions controlled]

= 3 reinforcements
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 03:18:31 PM »

3 on Nebraska

Please attack Nebraska to Kansas, do or die. Put 'em all in Kansas.

I guess we'll take a gamble here and attack Oregon to Idaho to Montana to North Dakota to South Dakota. I hate to do it, but await further orders. Wanna see how many guys I'm left with.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »

3 on Nebraska

Please attack Nebraska to Kansas, do or die. Put 'em all in Kansas.

I guess we'll take a gamble here and attack Oregon to Idaho to Montana to North Dakota to South Dakota. I hate to do it, but await further orders. Wanna see how many guys I'm left with.

Reinforcements

All 3 battalions have been deployed in Nebraska, where there are now 8 in total.

Attacks

Nebraska invades Kansas (Snowstalker) with 7 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Hagrid [7] rolls 3 dice:   [4] [3] [2]
Snowstalker [1] rolls 1 die:   [6]
Hagrid loses 1 battalion

Hagrid [6] rolls 3 dice:   [6] [5] [5]
Snowstalker [1] rolls 1 die:   [1]
Snowstalker loses 1 battalion

Hagrid conquers Kansas and places 6 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Nebraska.

----------

Oregon invades Idaho (Snowstalker) with 12 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Hagrid [12] rolls 3 dice:   [3] [3] [2]
Snowstalker [1] rolls 1 die:   [5]
Hagrid loses 1 battalion

Hagrid [11] rolls 3 dice:   [6] [4] [1]
Snowstalker [1] rolls 1 die:   [1]

Hagrid conquers Idaho and places 11 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Oregon.

----------

Idaho invades Montana (Polnut) with 10 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Hagrid [10] rolls 3 dice:   [5] [4] [4]
Polnut [1] rolls 1 die:   [5]
Hagrid loses 1 battalion

Hagrid [9] rolls 3 dice:   [1] [1] [1]
Polnut [1] rolls 1 die:   [4]
Hagrid loses 1 battalion

Hagrid [8] rolls 3 dice:   [5] [4] [1]
Polnut [1] rolls 1 die:   [4]
Polnut loses 1 battalion

Hagrid conquers Montana and places 8 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Idaho.

----------

Montana invades North Dakota (Snowstalker) with 7 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Hagrid [7] rolls 3 dice:   [6] [5] [4]
Snowstalker [1] rolls 1 die:   [6]
Hagrid loses 1 battalion

Hagrid [6] rolls 3 dice:   [6] [3] [2]
Snowstalker [1] rolls 1 die:   [4]

Hagrid conquers North Dakota and places 6 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Montana.

----------

North Dakota invades South Dakota (Matt from VT) with 5 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Hagrid [5] rolls 3 dice:   [6] [5] [2]
Matt from VT [1] rolls 1 die:   [4]
Matt from VT loses 1 battalion

Hagrid conquers South Dakota and places 5 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in North Dakota.

----------

* Hagrid has taken control of the Plains region *

----------

Awaiting further instructions

Provisional map
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 04:21:43 PM »

I actually like those five where they are, so end turn. Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »

GENERALS

[1]  HagridOfTheDeep

[2]  Matt from VT

[3]  Jas

[4]  Snowstalker

[5]  Polnut

[6]  Tyrion

Matt from VT: it is your turn.  You have 3 reinforcements.

+ [7 states ÷ 3 = 3 reinforcements]
+ [No regions controlled]

= 3 reinforcements
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »

Looks like Hagrid decided that an early do or die battle with Matt was too RISKy for his taste.  However, he's definitely handed Matt a massive advantage, if Matt plays it smart, and that's regardless of whether Matt decides to work with Hagrid for now or not.  I know how I'd play it if I were Matt, but I'll mention it only once Matt has finished his turn.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »

Looks like Hagrid decided that an early do or die battle with Matt was too RISKy for his taste.

Unless Hagrid has managed to convince Matt and Polnut to let him keep the Plains, he'll find it very difficult to keep up without holding a region. And considering how lucrative in reinforcements the Plains is, I can't imagine he's found them easy to convince.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 12:32:12 AM »

The way I saw it, I wouldn't have been able to hold a region whichever way I went. If I challenged Matt in Washington or California, it would've been a crapshoot: I could've lost, and my armies would've been totally depleted... or I could've won one state and my armies still would've been depleted. I just didn't see the reward there. I could've gone down into Utah/Colorado/Arizona/New Mexico, but that would've been tough too. If I'm going to have a bunch of states with one army in them, I'd rather have more than less. I'd also rather face nine states with one army each than one state with nine armies.

I won't be around long anyway. Tongue
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 11:28:43 AM »

3 to Utah. Attack Oregon from Washington, and attack Nevada from California.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 02:09:26 AM »

3 to Utah. Attack Oregon from Washington, and attack Nevada from California.

Reinforcements

All 3 battalions have been deployed in Utah, where there are now 5 in total.

Attacks

Washington invades Oregon (Hagrid) with 7 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Matt from VT [7] rolls 3 dice:   [5] [5] [4]
Hagrid [1] rolls 1 die:   [2]
Hagrid loses 1 battalion

Matt from VT conquers Oregon and places 7 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Washington.

----------

* Matt from VT has taken control of the Pacific region *

----------

California invades Nevada (Hagrid) with 8 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Matt from VT [8] rolls 3 dice:   [4] [2] [1]
Hagrid [1] rolls 1 die:   [6]

Matt from VT [7] rolls 3 dice:   [4] [2] [2]
Hagrid [1] rolls 1 die:   [6]

Matt from VT [6] rolls 3 dice:   [5] [3] [1]
Hagrid [1] rolls 1 die:   [1]
Hagrid loses 1 battalion

Matt from VT conquers Nevada and places 6 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in California.

----------

Awaiting further instructions

Provisional map
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 11:46:43 AM »

Send 3 battalions from Nevada to Arizona, and 1 battalion from Nevada to Utah. Send 3 battalions from Oregon to Washington. After that you can end my turn.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies