NE: Confirmation of Barnes as CJO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:01:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE: Confirmation of Barnes as CJO
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NE: Confirmation of Barnes as CJO  (Read 873 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2014, 02:25:05 PM »
« edited: July 07, 2014, 02:27:07 PM by Speaker SWE »

Governor Talleyrand has nominated Barnes as the next Northeast Chief Judicial Officer.  This appointment needs to be confirmed by the Assembly.  This will serve as the independent hearing thread for the nominee, as required by the SOAP.

Debate on the nomination and questioning of the nominee will extend for at least 72 hours, or until around 3:23PM on Thursday, July 7, unless shortened or extended by a motion of a Representative.

I will pm the nominee to ask if he wishes to make an opening statement.  Otherwise, questioning of Barnes could commence immediately.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »

Change the title of the thread
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 04:57:53 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Speaker.

Mr. Speaker, Honorable Members:

I have been a participant in Atlasian political life since June 2009 - just over five years ago now.  In that time I have served as Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast, Attorney General, Mideast Assemblyman, Secretary of Internal Affairs, Northeast Assemblyman, and twice as an At-Large Senator.  The Northeast was my home region when I joined Atlasia and I am very happy to have returned to it after a significant break in participation in political life.

When I was approached by the Governor to serve as Chief Judicial Officer I was deeply honored and humbled.  The position for which I have been nominated is one that I feel should be regarded with respect and significance.  The position of Chief Judicial Officer is one that must be exercised with the utmost impartiality, and I intended to do so, if honorable Members are kind enough to confirm me to the post. 

I resolutely pledge to you that I will always be totally impartial in all actions in my official capacity and will strive to uphold the law and constitution to the highest degree.

As so far as administering elections is concerned, I will pledge to you that I will conduct proper procedure in all elections that I would have the honor to administer.

I thank the Assembly and welcome any questions from honorable Members.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:57:55 PM »

I see that the confirmation hearing is attracting little interest, however, I would like to inform the Assembly that, if confirmed, I would hold the votes cast in the most recent referendum as invalid and hold a new referendum within the appropriate time frame.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 01:28:20 AM »

Why could those votes not be transferred? Who knows if they would go out and vote on this again? Would it not be more prudent to allow those votes to stand?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 07:40:07 AM »

Why could those votes not be transferred? Who knows if they would go out and vote on this again? Would it not be more prudent to allow those votes to stand?

As most recently shown in Barnes v. The Northeast, votes cast outside of the time parameters of an election simply cannot be counted - this must then include votes cast in a referendum that is not valid to begin with.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:05:30 PM »

I will support the nominee.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »

I don't see a reason not to support you
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »

The debate and question period is now over.  It is time to vote on whether to confirm the nominee as CJO.

This vote will remain open for 48 hours, or until all representatives have voted
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 04:53:50 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »

Aye
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »

As I haven't resigned yet and my six month term has not expired, I can't help wondering whether this appointment and confirmation are valid.

With regard to real-world appointments, they are most certainly made when an upcoming vacancy is announced. For example, any number of justices on the Supreme Court announce their retirement contingent on the confirmation of their successor, or the President-elect routinely nominates his cabinet during the transition period and the Senate unusually has them confirmed in time for the inauguration.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »

There is certainly no language in the United States Constitution that allows for the possibility of what I mentioned earlier, it does, however, happen. I know that using comparisons with the United States can only go so far, but, in my opinion, there is little of a real issue here.

If you feel it would be good to alleviate all possibility of a crisis, you could resign as CJO, or post your resignation and make it effective on the confirmation of your successor.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 01:18:50 PM »

Since Averroes has officially sworn in as SoEA and left this position, wouldn't that eliminate any constitutional barriers in regard to this nomination?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 03:12:54 PM »

Since Averroes has officially sworn in as SoEA and left this position, wouldn't that eliminate any constitutional barriers in regard to this nomination?

I would believe so.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 11:11:55 AM »

The voting period is now over. By a vote of 3-0-2, with 2 representatives not voting, Barnes is confirmed as CJO.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 11:14:53 AM »

I thank the Assembly for the trust that have placed in me.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies