Confirmation hearing: HagridoftheDeep for SoIA (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:26:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation hearing: HagridoftheDeep for SoIA (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation hearing: HagridoftheDeep for SoIA (Confirmed)  (Read 1250 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2014, 03:31:32 PM »
« edited: July 12, 2014, 04:49:27 AM by VP windjammer »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

HagridoftheDeep, you have 72 hours to present yourself to the senate.
Senators, you have 72 hours to ask him any questions.

An additional time of 48 hours may be given if 2 senators wish to continue the debates.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 03:54:17 PM »

Hi everyone!

Superique sent me a message the other day asking what my plans were if confirmed, and I think my response is probably a good opener here:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

On top of that, an obvious priority is the Pacific Stimulus. I've already been in contact with TheCranberry and Superique to try and get something going on that front. We want to stretch the current package of $10 billion as far as we can, so I think we need to emphasize investing in projects that will create permanent jobs and draw money into the area (there's untapped potential in tourism for the Pacific that's worth exploring).

Anyway, I'll shut up and let you ask questions. Tongue
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »

I don't think there is even need to create a Council for Atlasian Regional Executives because there is already a CARE but it has not been active in some time. Maybe you could frsshen up preamble and bylaws to suit your objectives.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=158409.0
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 05:27:17 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2014, 05:32:00 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

I don't think there is even need to create a Council for Atlasian Regional Executives because there is already a CARE but it has not been active in some time. Maybe you could frsshen up preamble and bylaws to suit your objectives.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=158409.0

Well, you're exactly right. This is where I got the idea from. I think it suffered from a bit of a lack of commitment, and it was difficult to keep going because the turnover between governors was high. I think the key to success this time around is making sure that it's not just CARE in its own right, but a body that also represents the interests of the senate and the administration (that is why I'd want myself, as the SoIA, to be a part of it). If we find that a new trial run of CARE is successful, it might be something the senate thinks about entrenching in law so that it doesn't fall into obscurity. I think having the SoIA involved could also help keep it going because the SoIA has more time to administer something like CARE.

That being said, I also accept that this thing might not work, which is what happened the first time around. That's why I'm not really committing to it as a centrepiece of my tenure. Honestly, the main priority is just increasing communication and cooperation wherever possible. If it comes down to an old-fashioned PM chain, that's what it comes down to. But I think having been in party leadership gave me a good understanding of what it takes to reach out to key people, get folks involved, and get things moving.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:02:51 PM »

CARE actually achieved what I had intended when I created it nearly two years. That is, I talked to the other regional executives more often after its inception, mostly via PM, and I think we all built better relationships among ourselves.

The trouble was that several of us left office at the same time and there wasn't anyone to carry the torch forward that fall. Scott made an attempt, but he didn't get much of a response. Something sanctioned by the SoIA that brings in more stakeholders might have better luck, particularly as the Pacific and the Midwest are doing much better now then they were at the time. (If I remember correctly, this was the same summer that Midwest Governor Hawkeye "forgot" to hold regional elections for a couple of months.)

Anyway, I hope that I'm not intruding, but I wanted to provide a bit of historical background.

No, I'm glad you're here. I didn't follow it all that much at the time because I wasn't a regional executive, so it's good to know that things were going on behind the scenes as well. Collaboration lifts the game up.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »

I am quite confident of Hagrid's skill and committment, so I believe voting for him will be incredibly easy. But since the confirmation hearings should always have questions:

-How do you plan to deal with the news aspect of the position? In addition to implementation of policies, do you plan to write about their consecuences or would you rather leave that to the GM?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 07:53:22 PM »

I am quite confident of Hagrid's skill and committment, so I believe voting for him will be incredibly easy. But since the confirmation hearings should always have questions:

-How do you plan to deal with the news aspect of the position? In addition to implementation of policies, do you plan to write about their consecuences or would you rather leave that to the GM?

This is something I've talked with Napoleon about, and we both agree that for the time being, storytelling isn't going to be my main area of focus. Maybe Napoleon can chime in here himself, but I anticipate that he will be creating a number of stories and it will be my job to "organize" people so that the different levels of government can deal with whatever situations he throws at us. I also have the authority to issue directives: If we've got a potentially devastating hurricane on the way, I can ready the resources Atlasia already has at its disposal to deal with the response/evacuation/etc.

That being said, I do consider the SoIA to be part of Atlasia's game moderation team, and I know the president wants us to be more than narrators and spokespeople. Napoleon will give me the odd story to disseminate, and at the bare minimum, I will also create one story per month in accordance with the Fifteenth Amendment. In addition to stories that are unique to Atlasia, I'll probably have some kind of news ticker going to keep people up-to-date on real-life events that trickle into the game. Any stories I issue will go through the GM and SoEA first. Just want everyone on the same page. I'm guess that Napoleon's stories will be "big picture" stuff and I'll be free to fill in some details on more of a micro-scale.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 10:08:20 PM »

You've said that storytelling may not be a primary focus of yours, but this question/scenario may come up in other areas.

As I'm sure you know, the GM has the final authority on the legitimacy of anything the IA/EA does. If the GM were to "void" one of your stories/findings/actions, how would you respond publicly? Privately? Do you believe there will be enough of a discrepancy between the offices to even create such an issue in the first place?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:58 PM »

You've said that storytelling may not be a primary focus of yours, but this question/scenario may come up in other areas.

As I'm sure you know, the GM has the final authority on the legitimacy of anything the IA/EA does. If the GM were to "void" one of your stories/findings/actions, how would you respond publicly? Privately? Do you believe there will be enough of a discrepancy between the offices to even create such an issue in the first place?

I'll work with Napoleon to make sure everything is approved beforehand to avoid that situation. I know there's a rocky history between him and I, but both of us want to make this arrangement work. If a story I publish does get voided, it gets voided and we move on. He's the GM; I'm not.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »

I intend to support the nominee.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 02:57:30 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2014, 02:59:28 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

How should we go about encouraging this approach when the history of such directives being ignored serves to discourage it from being done in the future?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 09:57:17 AM »

It's probably not going to be easy to follow such an approach, but I do find it commendable and I think that now more than ever we need a SoIA that can be very active and very reliable. I support the nominee.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 12:49:40 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2014, 02:20:35 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

How should we go about encouraging this approach when the history of such directives being ignored serves to discourage it from being done in the future?

I think the directives are sort of separate from the "getting all levels of government to work together" stuff (although if the senate does authorize me to distribute funds to the regions, I will of course seek their input and then issue the disbursements using a directive). The way I see it, CARE and however else I communicate with the regional executives is about organizing people and ideas so that they can better tackle issues when they are best equipped to do so. That being said, there will be occasions where I have the power to take action on my own. In that regard (and this will sound selfish Tongue), the directives are sort of a "me thing" in that they give me the power to actually "do" stuff. I look at them like executive orders (I will not be creating stories by directive; my stories will be more like brief news clippings). In that case, they will sometimes be of the nature that it doesn't really matter if people see them or not* (I will notify the people who my directives affect directly).

*[EDIT: I don't mean that I will not post them publicly, rather that some people may not go to the trouble of reading them. The people who need to know that a directive has been posted will be informed in private as well.]

Still, it will be important to keep in touch with lawmakers and the press so that there's more a of a connect between my job and the rest of Atlasia. Although the average Atlasian citizen might not care if I mobilize resources to brace for the aftermath of a hurricane, I think it improves the experience of the game if that stuff gets published elsewhere.

Re: encouraging the senate to pass bills that give me something to do, right now there's already a lot of legislation on the wiki that authorizes the SoIA to take action. In many cases, no action has yet been taken (and in many others the power does not seem to expire after a given time). If things are slow, I will fulfill some of these outstanding obligations after conferring with the president. Hopefully after seeing that an active SoIA can effectively execute legislation, the senate will pass more bills giving me some personal discretion over the form of their implementation. I will follow debate, and if I see an opportunity for me to play a role, I'll make that suggestion. If the senate disagrees, no big deal—I'll have enough to do anyway.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »

I'm concerned about this idea of SoIA issuing directives to individuals that are not made public. There needs to be accountability between the branches and to the public.  What sort of directives do you mean?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 02:18:02 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2014, 02:22:37 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

I'm concerned about this idea of SoIA issuing directives to individuals that are not made public. There needs to be accountability between the branches and to the public.  What sort of directives do you mean?

Oh whoa. I'm sorry I gave that impression, because that's not what I meant at all. I would never give orders to individuals in private using my authority as SoIA. I can see where it sounds like that's what I'm saying, so I've edited my response above. Hopefully that will clarify things.

When I say I will engage people privately, I just mean I'll update the governors about bills that have passed pertaining to them and encourage them to take action. Maybe have a bit of a discussion, just like all officeholders have in private.

Basic example: "Hey Cranberry, health care reform has passed in the senate and the regions are encouraged to establish exchanges based on the guidelines in the legislation. Emperor Scott is taking x route, but some others have floated y route. It might be worth talking about it with each other to share your ideas."

I will also be working with Cranberry, Superique, and the Pacific Speaker on July's stimulus package for the Pacific. Although we'll be deliberating in public, I'm sure we'll talk about it by PM too. Either way, I won't be hiding anything.

This is what I mean by a directive:

SOIA Directive #003 of March 26, 2014
Official Record

Sec. 1. Investigative action

By the authority vested in me as Secretary of Internal Affairs, I hereby issue a directive requiring the Department of Public Works to, (1) Review the process for the collection and evaluation of incoming consumer complaints, and to (2) conduct an investigation and submit a report reviewing actions taken by the NHTSA in regards to, (a) defective ignition switches, and (b) other equipment failure, as an ongoing problem in specific makes of General Motors vehicles.

All directives will be public and official. Another example of a directive could be me ensuring that fire fighters receive priority access to vaccines along with other first responders in national pandemic situations. Stuff like that. Nyman, D.C. is a federal district, so I might consider directing the Department of Health and Human Services to establish a specific health exchange there. I will discuss these directives with the president before I issue them.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 04:49:33 AM »

How should we go about encouraging this approach when the history of such directives requirements in legislation being ignored serves to discourage it from being done in the future by the Senate?

Same question (almost) now for the second half of the statement. Wink
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 04:58:20 AM »

Senators, it seems you have a lot of questions for Hagrid.

I just would like to remind you I will have to open the vote today. I can grant 48 additional hours for debate, but 2 senators have to motion for that!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 08:40:22 AM »

I don't think it will be necessary, from my perspective as Hagrid should be able to respond even if a vote is started and it won't change my decisions regarding confirmation. I have full confidence in his abilities.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 09:19:45 AM »

Thank you Hagrid for that clarification, it addresses my concerns.

I support the nominee.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 12:33:06 PM »

How should we go about encouraging this approach when the history of such directives requirements in legislation being ignored serves to discourage it from being done in the future by the Senate?

Well, it's about leading by example. I've already said that I hope you guys will give me more to do. I will also make the case for additional responsobilities during debate of specific bills. I mean, there's not much more I can say than that. Hopefully in my other responsibilities I will be able to prove that I can be trusted to fulfill obligations outlined in legislation. If it comes to the point where the senate trusts me to do the job but doesn't necessarily trust that future SoIA's will be as dedicated, there are still short-term items y'all can conclude that would require my attention. I'd also argue that sometimes there are issues that are naturally better served by having the SoIA play a role, which makes it so that you guys wouldn't just be creating work for me to do for no reason. 
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 04:58:27 PM »

Senators,
A vote is now open: please vote AYE, NAY or Abstain.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »

Aye
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix