Most Overrated D Senate Candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:49:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Most Overrated D Senate Candidate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Which do you choose?
John Walsh

Natalie Tennant

Michelle Nunn

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 90

Author Topic: Most Overrated D Senate Candidate  (Read 4335 times)
GaussLaw
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:38:31 PM »

I thought these were three Senate candidates that a lot of people thought could hold their own, but are now fizzling in polling.  While Nunn still has a chance, things are looking worse and worse for her as polls continue to pour in that show Perdue and Kingston up.

I personally vote John Walsh as a lot of people thought he would soar in polling once he got the Senate appointment, but that completely fizzled.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 07:40:13 PM »

Walsh, a lot of sites listed Montana as a toss-up for a while.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2014, 12:15:50 PM by ModerateVAVoter »

In my opinion, for a candidate to be considered overrated, their chances have to be rated pretty highly in the first place. Did people actually give Tennant a good chance of winning her race? Not that I remember. Similar story with Walsh.

I think Nunn is a great recruit, but I think people overrated her chances against someone other than Paul Broun or Phil Gingrey.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »

Definitely Walsh. Tennant actually seems to be narrowing the gap from the last couple polls, so if anything she's underrated.

On the R side, definitely Gillespie, with Scott Brown a distant second.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »

Walsh. Nunn would be absolutely perfect for the job in '08 or even in 2010 or 2016, but she's actually facing some of Georgia's best candidates.

Same with Tennant - once Capito got in she was favored against anyone, even when Rockefeller was running.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 08:44:42 PM »

Please, they'll be talking MICHELLE NUNN 4 PRESIDENT 2016 soon enough.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 08:47:05 PM »

Walsh isn't that great but Nunn is an embarrassment, clearly overrated, inexperienced, lack of issue knowledge, cardboard, no values, no real ideology, she's a cardboard cutout of a candidate spouting out staffer approved talking points, she'll crash and burn in the debates.
illegaloperation

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 08:56:44 PM »

Nunn shouldn't be on this list. She has run a great campaign.

Had weaker Republican candidates made it to the runoff, this would be a tossup.
NHLiberal

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »

Nunn shouldn't be on this list. She has run a great campaign.

Had weaker Republican candidates made it to the runoff, this would be a tossup.

Since when is it not a tossup?
NHLiberal

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »

Write-in: Shenna Bellows. It's amazing how many people on here seriously think the ACLU spokeswoman can beat Collins when a phenomenal Congressman couldn't even come close to beating her in a Democratic wave.

Among those 3, probably Nunn, and I used to be one of those overly optimistic for Nunn winning, but I see her chances fading. I'm not sure she can find that 50% yet when there's a huge chunk of unregistered Democratic voters and the red to blue transition always talked about has yet to materialize.

Walsh was never given a chance by most people though and still isn't, so he shouldn't be up there. Like Alaska, most polls are pretty bad out of Montana and/or underestimate Democratic chances. Which means if anything, Walsh might be underrated, for now.

What I'm about to say isn't perfect because PPP doesn't poll North Dakota, but I'd say Walsh is more or less in the same position as Heitkamp was at this point in 2012.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »

Allison Lundergan Grimes, but of those listed Michelle Nunn. Walsh and Tennant aren't rated enough to be overrated. The title of most overrated needs to go to someone the beltway and/or newsmedia is really sold on having an extraordinary appeal but doesn't. Think Ed Gillespie for the GOP.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 10:38:12 PM »

Write-in: Shenna Bellows. It's amazing how many people on here seriously think the ACLU spokeswoman can beat Collins when a phenomenal Congressman couldn't even come close to beating her in a Democratic wave.

Among those 3, probably Nunn, and I used to be one of those overly optimistic for Nunn winning, but I see her chances fading. I'm not sure she can find that 50% yet when there's a huge chunk of unregistered Democratic voters and the red to blue transition always talked about has yet to materialize.

Walsh was never given a chance by most people though and still isn't, so he shouldn't be up there. Like Alaska, most polls are pretty bad out of Montana and/or underestimate Democratic chances. Which means if anything, Walsh might be underrated, for now.

What I'm about to say isn't perfect because PPP doesn't poll North Dakota, but I'd say Walsh is more or less in the same position as Heitkamp was at this point in 2012.

Berg never had a double digit lead in North Dakota polling, and no reputable polling company had the race outside the margin of error.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 11:12:05 PM »

I think you're confusing people who really want Shenna Bellows to win with people who actually think she has a chance to win. Almost everyone who has entered a prediction has the race as Strong R.
illegaloperation

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 11:17:50 PM »

Allison Lundergan Grimes, but of those listed Michelle Nunn. Walsh and Tennant aren't rated enough to be overrated. The title of most overrated needs to go to someone the beltway and/or newsmedia is really sold on having an extraordinary appeal but doesn't. Think Ed Gillespie for the GOP.

Most polls show Grimes in a dead heat with McConnell so how could she possibly be overrated?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 11:52:58 PM »

Nunn could win if everything goes right. Not likely, but it could still happen. No one ever thought Tennant would win in the first place. Walsh has consistently trailed by double digits but been treated as though he's tied with Daines or barely down. Walsh.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 12:45:29 AM »

Out of all the candidates I'd say Landrieu, just because it's Louisiana.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 04:01:40 AM »

Nunn.

John Walsh, I think his candidacy is seen accurately. For Tennant, again I believe she won't win, but she's underrated.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 09:25:58 AM »

Nunn, definitely.  Her chances and campaign skills are overrated.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »

Walsh. INCUMBENCY ADVANTAGE turned out to be a big fat nothing because he wasn't really an incumbent.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 10:04:01 PM »

Walsh's poll numbers are certainly the most disappointing compared to what I hoped in 2013, so I voted for him in the poll, but there's still a long way to go.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »

Walsh. INCUMBENCY ADVANTAGE turned out to be a big fat nothing because he wasn't really an incumbent.

How dare you question the incumbency advantage. AR-Sen 2010 and PA-Gov 2014 are clearly toss ups. Wink
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 10:21:51 PM »

How dare you question the incumbency advantage. AR-Sen 2010 and PA-Gov 2014 are clearly toss ups. Wink

It seems that appointed Senators don't have the best track record for getting re-elected. A Democrat managed to lose in California in 1964. Although recently that might not be as true (Bennet, Gillibrand)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 12:14:20 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2014, 12:17:47 AM by OC »

Walsh lost one defining experience that would of set him apart from Daines, which was his military experience. It came under scrutiny, and he never recovered.

Nunn is clearly the overrated candidate. She would need to win, without the runoff. Her name set her apart from other Dems, but not the defining issue.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 06:45:20 AM »

Nunn's chances of winning are overrated
Tennant's chances of winning are underrated
Walsh's chances of winning are non-existent
sg0508
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 07:10:23 AM »

Just because their likelihood of winning aren't good, that doesn't mean they are overrated.  For example, Heather Wilson of NM was a VERY STRONG candidate for Senate in 2012, but she ran in a presidential year and was still very competitive. 

I think you need to better define "overrated" here.  Tom Kean Jr. for example was "overrated" when he ran for the GOP.  He should have been much, much more competitive and Menendez never even sweated during that race.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies