IDS 1: Bill to Forbid the Enactment of Failure-to-Vacate Laws (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:32:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS 1: Bill to Forbid the Enactment of Failure-to-Vacate Laws (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IDS 1: Bill to Forbid the Enactment of Failure-to-Vacate Laws (Passed)  (Read 795 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:24:26 PM »
« edited: July 18, 2014, 04:01:40 PM by Speaker Dereich »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Emperor Scott
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:54:38 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2014, 01:06:16 AM by Emperor Scott »

I authored this bill in response to this video.  In short, every year 2,000 Arkansans are charged under this unjust law, which was heavily lobbied for by none other than the landlords themselves and consistently supported by the Arkansas Realtors Association.  Those affected are discouraged from defending themselves in court, making the constitutionality of the law itself questionable at best.  The aforementioned video details the account of one of the many families impacted by this law.

In addition, Arkansas has the most lax laws in the country when it comes to maintaining rented property.  Landlords don't need to spend a single dime to repair or improve these properties, yet they make a killing off the poor working-class folks in Arkansas through a legal system that is clearly rigged in their favor.  And yet, the state Legislature will not even consider any more attempts to reform until next year.

I urge this body to vote in favor of this legislation so that economically disadvantaged tenants in Arkansas may work under a system that's fair and balanced, and to ensure that other states in our great region not cater to the will of crooked landlords.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:48:48 AM »

I am inclined to support this consider the long and rather terrible history I have experienced living in some of the worst conditions in all matter of shacks that get passed off as houses around here.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 01:04:50 AM »

I am inclined to support this consider the long and rather terrible history I have experienced living in some of the worst conditions in all matter of shacks that get passed off as houses around here.

Does North Carolina have similar policies?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 01:12:36 AM »

I don't know exactly.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »

Looking at the video, this is a legitimate concern. People's liberty to live without being imprisoned unjustly should no doubt be protected. My only concern is if we go too far and make it so its impossible for renters to get their money.

My only question is section 1a. Would that mean that tenants could not be able to evict their home dwellers? What would be put in place instead if someone is not paying?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:34:25 PM »

Looking at the video, this is a legitimate concern. People's liberty to live without being imprisoned unjustly should no doubt be protected. My only concern is if we go too far and make it so its impossible for renters to get their money.

My only question is section 1a. Would that mean that tenants could not be able to evict their home dwellers? What would be put in place instead if someone is not paying?

Since tenants do not own their homes, by definition they are not entitled to them and thus their residencies are not legally guaranteed.  Landlords can still take their clients to court for failing to pay rent or fulfill the terms of their contract, but under this law there would no longer be an unfair policy that skews cases in favor of those landlords or discourages 'not guilty' pleas on the part of the tenant.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 07:37:02 PM »

Since tenants do not own their homes, by definition they are not entitled to them and thus their residencies are not legally guaranteed.  Landlords can still take their clients to court for failing to pay rent or fulfill the terms of their contract, but under this law there would no longer be an unfair policy that skews cases in favor of those landlords or discourages 'not guilty' pleas on the part of the tenant.

Fair enough.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 07:33:10 PM »

Anything else?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 01:12:33 AM »

Anybody home?  (Pun not intended.)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »

I don't have any concerns/amendments.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »

I think I can support this.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 03:12:36 AM »

Seeing no further debate, I bring this to a final vote. Legislators have 48 hours to vote aye, nay or to abstain.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »

Aye.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »

I realize this is at vote, but I ran across something on the news that might be of interest for future legislation. Apparently the city of Fayetteville is cracking down on slum lords with tough fines and such. They are sick of spouses and children of active duty military personel being forced to live without ACs in the Summer and and heat in the winter when their relatives are doing tours of duty overseas. It might be something worth looking into if the region presently doesn't have a policy on the matter.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 05:58:24 PM »

Aye
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 06:11:07 PM »

Aye
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »

With 3 ayes, 1 nay and 1 not voting this passes this IDS legislature and is sent to the Emperor for signature or veto.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies