62nd Election of the PPT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:52:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  62nd Election of the PPT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 62nd Election of the PPT  (Read 3332 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »

Do write-ins not count as votes? This is vilely undemocratic and goes against basic Atlasian precedent to boot. You can't invalidate half the votes in an election because one guy didn't have Internet for a specific period to boot, and furthermore writing oneself in has always been treated as a de facto declaration of candidacy.

You speak as if I have the choice. I DON'T.

As the President of the  Senate, I have to respect the Senate rules. I do all I can to respect them.

I take my job very seriously. And for the write ins vote, I simply believe the PPT election doesn't allow that. I can't have feelings, I have to respect the rules. Remember that.

In case I'm wrong and that the Supreme Court believes write ins should be allowed, fine, I would respect this decision.

I respect your dedication to professionalism, Mr. Vice President, but I believe that write-in votes are votes, no?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 02:13:08 AM »

Do write-ins not count as votes? This is vilely undemocratic and goes against basic Atlasian precedent to boot. You can't invalidate half the votes in an election because one guy didn't have Internet for a specific period to boot, and furthermore writing oneself in has always been treated as a de facto declaration of candidacy.

As the President of the  Senate, I have to respect the Senate rules. I do all I can to respect them.

I take my job very seriously. And for the write ins vote, I simply believe the PPT election doesn't allow that. I can't have feelings, I have to respect the rules. Remember that.

In case I'm wrong and that the Supreme Court believes write ins should be allowed, fine, I would respect this decision.

I respect your dedication to professionalism, Mr. Vice President, but I believe that write-in votes are votes, no?

Senator Alfred,
write in votes are obviously "votes", I'm not contesting that. Ii contest the fact that they are allowed and that they are valid.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 10:14:32 AM »

I wouldn't have interpreted the rules as requiring an invalidation of write-in votes, but I can definitely see where Windjammer is getting that.  The rules needs to be clarified here. Actually from what I can tell the rules don't say anything about nominating anyone or seconding nominations, so we've been following something other than the letter of the rules here for a while.

I am glad someone else has noticed this as well.

The nominations and such is all superflous. All that matters is the respone by the candidate, "the declaration".

I think it developed as an outpouring of support for myself and I tried to discourage it for a while but people didn't seem to pay attention and loved the idea of nominating various candidates. It wasn't a problem as long as candidates responded within the 48 hours. BK actually lost the position solely because he failed to declare back in 2010.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 07:18:25 PM »

Senator Alfred,
write in votes are obviously "votes", I'm not contesting that. Ii contest the fact that they are allowed and that they are valid.

Democracy now! *burns flag*
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 03:13:35 AM »

Senator Alfred,

Democracy now! *burns flag*

Your argument is invalid for two reasons:
1) the PPT elections aren't specifically stated to be "democratic".
2) write in votes aren't an obligation in a democracy. In France for instance, you can only vote for the declared candidates for the presidential election. Every write in vote is counted as invalid.

And France is (globally) a democracy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »

I must withdraw from this PPT election. I realize this might end the court case but I would prefer a resolution to the case if possible, unfortunately events in RL have forced my hand.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 11:59:06 PM »

I am still in this race.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »

I accept write ins for TNF.

The results of the vote:
5 vote for North Carolina Yankee.
5 vote for TNF.

As President of the Senate, I shall break the tie.
I break the tie for TNF.

TNF is confirmed as PPT.

I, Windjammer, President of the Senate, certify these results are accurate.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2014, 05:02:47 PM »

I contest the vote as the now resigned VP broke the tie for TNF under corersion or undue duress.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »

I contest the vote as the now resigned VP broke the tie for TNF under corersion or undue duress.

The Senate is not required to acknowledge this, nor do you have any evidence. Begone!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2014, 05:29:19 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2014, 05:43:32 PM by Senator Lumine »

The Senate is not required to acknowledge this, nor do you have any evidence. Begone!

Just to be on the safe side and since I actually have this particular doubt, wouldn't the Supreme Court's temporary injuction of Yankee's certification as the winner affect this? (I recall saying Duke it didn't, but I want to be sure)
GAworth
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »

Really JCL, the VP is gone, don't use his situation to suit your political agenda. That is a low blow. You want TNF gone, then get enough people elected to remove him from the position, until then calm down.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2014, 10:45:01 PM »

No one gives a sh**t. I'm PPT now and will act as such.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies