What AP classes/tests have you taken?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:50:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What AP classes/tests have you taken?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: In order of date tested in May 2014:
Chemistry

Environmental Science

Psychology

Computer Science A

Spanish Language & Culture

Art History

Calculus AB

Calculus BC

Chinese Language & Culture

English Literature & Composition

Japanese Literature & Composition

Latin

English Language & Composition

Statistics

Studio Art

Biology

Music Theory

Physics B

Physics C: Mechanics

Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism

US Government & Politics

French Language & Culture

Human Geography

German Language & Culture

US History

European History

Macroeconomics

World History

Italian Language & Culture

Microeconomics

Comparative Government & Politics

Spanish Literature & Composition

I have never taken an AP class/test

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What AP classes/tests have you taken?  (Read 5975 times)
MalaspinaGold

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »

The attitude towards IB at my school is "IB, therefore IBS."
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »

What did everyone think of the tests this year.

The new Biology test is absolutely horrible.

I took Biology last year (the first year after they changed it), and I didn't think the test was particularly difficult, though it seemed to emphasize weird things (there were multiple questions about famous biologists themselves) and of course it basically cut out taxonomy. I came out feeling quite confident, but I only got a 4; the new standard they set for getting a 5 being very high (prior to 2013, ~20% of test-takers got 5s; that declined to ~5%). The course I took (the teacher being one of my all-time favorites, and someone who I still regularly speak to more than a year later) was tailored to the old test, and I like to think I would've gotten a 5 under the old system.

Chemistry was just not a class I was good at. I took the class largely because all the other "nerds" did (peer pressure); it was consistently my worst grade all four quarters (low-to-mid 80s, iirc), and I thought the test was very difficult, but the 2 I got still took me by surprise; I expected a 3. The other tests I didn't find difficult, though I feel a bit self-conscious after reading this thread where people consider a 4 to be a bad result. AP Euro is taught by a well-meaning but awful teacher at our school, so my 4 (having not taken the class) was actually the best result of anyone taking it, even though I self-studied; all other scores were 3s or failures. When my testing room opened the DBQ on Euro, multiple people laughed because it was a topic (the rise of Solidarity in communist Poland) that was in a century they hadn't gotten to. The guy sitting to my right and behind me -- who got a 4 on Chemistry this year, so not an idiot -- had no clue to the extent that he didn't answer the question and just doodled. (He still pulled out a 3, I suppose from the multiple choice).

Senior Year:
Intend to take, with the school, Calculus AB, English Literature, Environmental Science, Physics 1, Spanish Language. Intend to take, online, Macroeconomics & Microeconomics. Intend to self-study Comparative Government, Human Geography, and U.S. History. Not sure how I intend to survive taking 10 AP tests in a year.

Only voted for the ones I've taken, since the senior year itinerary is still kind of flexible.

This sounds extremely unhealthy Surprise

Yeah, May 2015 isn't going to be a fun month.

In my opinion, the main way the exam falls short is that there just isn't enough actual knowledge tested. Critical thinking and all is important, however if I remember correctly, there were no specific anatomy questions, virtually no respiration/photosynthesis questions, and so on. They would mostly just give a scenario, and do a simple analysis of it. The FRQs were a little better than the multiple choice, but honestly I would like to see some more flat out "what is the function of RuBisCo" or "Where along the Loop of Henle is the osmotic pressure greatest".

I took it about a year ago, so my memory is flawed but I remember a fair number of multiple choice questions were basically like that (there were a ton of questions on respiration), except phrased so the question included 1-3 paragraphs of fluff. There were no anatomy questions and no taxonomy questions -- the former was expected, but we spent a good amount of time studying the latter, so finding it wasn't there at all was annoying. The new Bio curriculum is trying to put more critical thinking into a course that used to be basically 'memorize a textbook', but because of the nature of biology, a lot of the latter still has to be done.

I personally thought AP Chemistry was one of the easiest tests I took- not that I'm good at chemistry or anything; I got B's both semesters. I just had a really good teacher and felt the test was extremely straightforward. I believe more than 90% of our AP chem class got 5's that year. Is the new AP test much different from the old one?

Difficult to say since I have less of an idea of what the 'old' AP Chem was like, but there were far fewer 4s and 5s this year, and my school's average went from a 4.7 last year to just above a 3 this year. I thought the AP Chemistry exam was, far and away, the most difficult standardized test I've ever taken.

Oh and good luck with the 10 tests next year. About 50 people at my school take both IB and AP tests, so they generally have to take 5 of each, which means they'll be in a similar position to you. Though knowing senioritis, something tells me you (and they) won't be studying for any of them.

IB is getting introduced at my school this coming year, but the first students that are eligible are those a year below me (Class of 2016). The prevailing attitude has been that it's unnecessary since you can just sign up for AP courses, but there are certain people who are doing it.

I like to think I'll still be studying for APs even at the end of senior year -- after all, the scores go on to whatever college I go to. I can understand giving up on helping your high school grades after you've been accepted and made your college decision, but APs are a different beast altogether. Maybe I'll be signing a different tune a year from now, though.

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »

I've only taken a few:

Human Geography: 5
APUSH: 5
English Language: 5
Biology: 4
Comparative Government: 5
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 06:26:56 PM »

The main problem with IB is the fact that most of it is essentially busywork, with all the internal assessments and the extended essay. I quit IB after my first year, but I continued taking the same classes as the IB students, since most classes are for both AP and IB. The curriculum for the social sciences is not so bad, but the science/computer science curriculum is way too easy, and in the case of the latter, doesn't even involve coding at all, it's all system's life cycles and such. It's really not worth doing unless you're going into something liberal arts related, especially since most colleges do not give as much credit for IB classes as AP classes.

Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2014, 01:17:56 AM »

AP Comparative Government and Politics, my favorite class in high school.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2014, 01:37:52 AM »

As of beginning of Fall 2014:

AP Government & Politics: 4
AP English Language: 4
AP Environmental Science: 2

Fall 2014-Spring 2015:

AP Spanish Language
AP Macroeconomics
AP English Literature
AP Art History/ Humanities
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2014, 03:37:13 AM »

Freshman Year (2004-2005)Sad
Calculus AB

Sophomore Year (2005-2006)Sad
Calculus BC
European History

Junior Year (2006-2007)Sad
American History
English Language and Composition
Statistics
Human Geography (self-study)
World History (self-study)

Senior Year (2007-2008)Sad
Spanish Language and Culture
US Government and Politics
Comparative Government and Politics
Psychology
Physics B

I got a 5 on all of them.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 02:59:28 PM »

I really wish I had taken Spanish, math, and lab science AP tests so that I wouldn't have had to take those courses in college. Instead I just got to skip a bunch of college courses (politics and history) I probably would've liked.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 05:58:11 PM »

I took AP Biology way back when. That was a mistake.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 09:12:55 AM »

AP US Government
AP US History
AP Chemistry
AP Environmental Science

I aced them all and they were quite nice additions to my GPA in high school.

Of that list, I don't think my school offered most of those, though that could be due in part to having graduated back in 2005.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 06:09:46 PM »

I took no AP courses, and my HS didn't offer them. Some nearby schools did, but my district was of the opinion that most college-bound students would be better served by spending more time really understanding the basics of math (trig and pre-calc) and english (reading and composition), so they offered high-quality teachers in those subjects. For the occasional student who really would benefit by college-level material in HS, they provided a teacher for directed independent study. At my five-year reunion we talked about how college went, and overwhelmingly my classmates talked about how well they did compared to their college peers due to the extra preparation.

Now I know times have changed, and there's a much higher premium on being able to enter college with some credits complete. That's especially true for selective schools. But as someone who has taught for more than two decades at a large public university, I can say I have encountered too many students who used AP to skip an introductory course or two, but show serious defects in their understanding of fundamentals.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 07:52:34 AM »

Just got me score.  5 on World.
GaussLaw
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2014, 08:16:53 PM by GaussLaw »

Given that AP World History requires essay writing, I think this begs the question.  Is your horrible spelling just an act?

EDIT, for me I got a 5 in AP US History, Calculus BC, and both Physics Cs.

Those were the only tests I took about 10 years ago.

Now, I am a physics teacher at my local high school and I am a strong proponent of the AP program for students prepared for it.  Too many, unfortunately are not.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »

Three (Calc AB, European History, German). As useless as it is, I would have loved taking an AP music theory class.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 09:25:39 PM »

Biology (both class and exam)
English Language (exam only)
English Literature (both)
Environmental Science (class only; somehow forgot to take exam owing to senioritis)
European History (both)
Spanish Language (exam only)
Spanish Literature (both)
Statistics (both)
U.S. History (both)

Not sure why I didn't take the 2 politics/government tests.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 10:06:15 AM »

U.S. History - 5
U.S. Government - 4
English - did not test
Psychology - did not test
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »

So my high school career is over:

12 5's:  Bio, Chemistry, Calc BC, Physics C: Mechanics, Physics C: E&M, Statistics, US History, US Government, Microeconomics, Psychology, English Language and Composition, Spanish Language and Culture

2 4's:  Computer Science (pretty ironic considering that's what I want to study in college) and Art History (easily the hardest test of the bunch for me)

I'm happy, but still peeved about CS.  My competition at the school I'm about to attend likely got 5's overwhelmingly.  It is the drawback of competitive colleges.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2015, 04:52:15 PM »

About to take Biology for senior year. Any advice on it?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »

About to take Biology for senior year. Any advice on it?

Well I'm doing a masters in it, so I say go for it. Biology has been proven to be the sexiest science.
Foucaulf
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2015, 09:31:33 PM »

I'm a bit weirded out by you kids taking 10+ AP tests. At that point it feels like you're cheapening college.

I took five: Macro, Micro, Calc BC, French Language and English. I grabbed a study book for the last one and took it on a whim. I have 5's on all of them.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2015, 09:49:10 PM »

Just got a 5 on APUSH, US Gov/Pol, and English, a 4 on Chemistry, and a 3 (Devil on Comparative Gov/Pol.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2015, 09:55:35 PM »

I'm a bit weirded out by you kids taking 10+ AP tests. At that point it feels like you're cheapening college.

With costs for college rising as precipitously as they are, that is exactly what we are trying to do Smiley
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2015, 11:43:40 PM »

I took five: Macro, Micro, Calc BC, French Language and English. I grabbed a study book for the last one and took it on a whim. I have 5's on all of them.

At our high school, AP classes were the only advanced courses offered to juniors and seniors...
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2015, 12:27:42 AM »

Just AP English. I got a three on my essay, which was disappointing considering I placed second in an international essay contest weeks before.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies