What AP classes/tests have you taken?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:11:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What AP classes/tests have you taken?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: In order of date tested in May 2014:
Chemistry

Environmental Science

Psychology

Computer Science A

Spanish Language & Culture

Art History

Calculus AB

Calculus BC

Chinese Language & Culture

English Literature & Composition

Japanese Literature & Composition

Latin

English Language & Composition

Statistics

Studio Art

Biology

Music Theory

Physics B

Physics C: Mechanics

Physics C: Electricity & Magnetism

US Government & Politics

French Language & Culture

Human Geography

German Language & Culture

US History

European History

Macroeconomics

World History

Italian Language & Culture

Microeconomics

Comparative Government & Politics

Spanish Literature & Composition

I have never taken an AP class/test

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What AP classes/tests have you taken?  (Read 5906 times)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 12:57:40 AM »

The two English ones, and Environmental Science.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2015, 09:45:29 AM by 0C »

I'm a bit weirded out by you kids taking 10+ AP tests. At that point it feels like you're cheapening college.

I took five: Macro, Micro, Calc BC, French Language and English. I grabbed a study book for the last one and took it on a whim. I have 5's on all of them.

I agree to an extent if they are using it to minimize course loads or really aren't qualified despite a passing grade, but wouldn't  most just use it to replace nonsense easy A intro classes withmore intellectually stimulating classes that don't inflate GPA's and waste your time with basic material. My school didn't offer Calc BC and wouldn't let me take micro/macro while my mother prohibited comp gov (as my brother was taking it). Throw in psych which I didn't take out of spite - there are 5 extremely basic tests that I wasted my time taking at the undergraduate level when I could have challenged myself with a diverse array of classes. If I took twice as many as I did, I'd be able to have studied a lot more if what I liked and perhaps even picked up an extra minor rather than having a GPA which really isn't that impressive when considering a lot of the required intro coursework.

Heck, I would've probably taken more than the 10 I wanted to in hindsight - probably 13-15.

I mean, I guess GPA may not be inflated too much, since there many of the A's in intros will still get A's in the upper levels, but it's a matter of it not meaning anything or learning anything special.

Oh, and to answer the question, I took Calc AB, Stat, Physics B, APUSH, and US Gov (independent study). 5's except my 4 on physics
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 12:40:06 PM »

2008-09: human geo
2009-10: world history, calc bc
2010-11: stats, us history, english lit/comp (as classes) and comparative gov&pol (just the test)

would've taken more if i had done four full years of high school.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 01:18:17 PM »

Comp. Gov: 4 (2006)
Statistics: 4 (2007)
English Language & Composition: 4 (2007)
Calc AB: 5 (2008)
US Gov't & Politics: 5 (2008)
US History: 5 (2008)
Macroeconomics: 4 (2008)

I knocked out 21 college credits.  I needed only 99 credits over 8 semesters in college.  15 of those were pass/fail.  so my standard semester the last 2 years was 3 4-credit classes, one of which was pass-fail (meaning I only had to give so much of a sh**t about it).
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »

AP Physics 1 - 3

AP US Government and Politics - 4

I'm going to be taking AP Calculus and AP Physics C next year.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 10:45:54 PM »

I knocked out 21 college credits.  I needed only 99 credits over 8 semesters in college.  15 of those were pass/fail.  so my standard semester the last 2 years was 3 4-credit classes, one of which was pass-fail (meaning I only had to give so much of a sh**t about it).

That must've been a breeze of a last 2 years.  Did you have a job along with that?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2015, 07:46:32 AM »

I knocked out 21 college credits.  I needed only 99 credits over 8 semesters in college.  15 of those were pass/fail.  so my standard semester the last 2 years was 3 4-credit classes, one of which was pass-fail (meaning I only had to give so much of a sh**t about it).

That must've been a breeze of a last 2 years.  Did you have a job along with that?

yeah I worked 8-15 hours/week in a dining hall.  same dining hall all four years, was a unionized workplace (UAW local 2300, iirc), though of course I wasn't in the union.  I actually was pretty damn popular among the workforce there, including this Vietnam veteran who hated everybody (and died right around the time I was graduating)...  made me feel good that the "common people" don't hate me as some people have predicted they would

it also afforded me a lot of time to drink, both with and without buddies, both with and without women.  I could have used that time better: I only needed 3-6 more credits for a minor in statistics, for instance.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:26 PM »

In high school I took AP Euro, AP Gov, AP Stats, AP MacroEcon and AP MicroEcon.
fenrir
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2015, 01:37:18 PM by fenrir »

I have the unique experience of being a student who took a ton of them, and now I work at a selective university, and this question comes up all the time from prospective students and their families. I apologize profusely for the TL;DR but I hope this will help some students or parents on this forum, like Vosem, for example.

I took 14: Euro, Micro, Macro, US-H, US-GP, Chem, Bio, APES, Physics, English LC, English Lit, Calc BC, Psych, and Spanish. I received 5s and 4s on all of them except for BOMBING Spanish and Physics to high hell (bad senioritis)!

None of the colleges I was choosing between (Pomona, UChicago, Yale, and Northwestern) grant any meaningful credit for them whatsoever, nor did it knock out any gen-eds. They either granted a measly, couple "general elective credits" or "acceleration credits," which merely placed you into a higher level class where you could fulfill requirements instead of having to take an intro class. When they do grant a little credit here and there, you are bound by residency and minimum term obligations. This was a very rude awakening for my family, who is middle class, never attended college, and was under the impression that I was going to be able to graduate in 2.5-3 years with a double major and be on with my life.

This has been the trend for more than a decade now. AP is not only viewed as not rigorous enough by top colleges, but they do not want to lose the money by giving away all this credit and excusing people from taking classes and being there for a shorter period of time. Schools also want to be able to ensure an even, fair curriculum experience for all students, and many high schools do not and cannot have robust AP programs.

Like I mentioned earlier, I work at a university now and would strongly recommend that parents 1. check whether their children's prospects meaningfully accept and grant AP credit, 2. do not assume that you're going to get any useful credit at all unless you're attending a school that is large, public, and/or less rigorous from an admissions standpoint, 3. do not assume you will be magically exempt for gen-eds or waltz in with credits for your major, and 4. realize that taking these courses is more about teaching your child academic discipline and giving a richer, more rigorous learning experience that will prepare them for writing and researching in college, NOT the AP exam score, reputation, bragging rights, or prospective credit.

Focus on a well-rounded, well-executed high school portfolio instead of collecting mass AP credits. Take fine arts and foreign language classes, get involved, and volunteer. Have something interesting to write and talk about during the admissions process. Don't take AP classes unless you're certain you can 4 or 5 them and it's the best fit for your schedule or learning style.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2015, 09:04:38 PM »

Love IB. I took AP US History sophomore year (5) and am taking AP Art History this upcoming year. The reason I haven't done much AP stuff is because I'm in IB. Took the SL Business test (6) and the SL Math Studies one (7).
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2015, 04:19:26 PM »

I'm a little surprised by the low number of APCS and AP Physics C E&M exams taken here given the demographics of the forum.  Were they not offered or something for a lot of people here?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2015, 05:57:32 PM »

^^^
I took AP Art History my sophomore year (5) and Lang (5), French (3) and AB Calc (3) this year. Next year, not taking any because of IB exams.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2015, 11:59:28 PM »

This has been the trend for more than a decade now. AP is not only viewed as not rigorous enough by top colleges, but they do not want to lose the money by giving away all this credit and excusing people from taking classes and being there for a shorter period of time. Schools also want to be able to ensure an even, fair curriculum experience for all students, and many high schools do not and cannot have robust AP programs.

There is a key inconsistency happening at the selective schools here. As fenrir points out it's not uncommon for a selective school to require a 5 or even not grant credit at all. Yet they will often offer their own placement tests into sequential courses like math, science, and foreign language. Many of them will then offer credit for the prerequisite that was skipped upon completion of the later courses in the sequence.

Here's the twist. It's isn't that hard for a student who gets a 3 on the AP to get placement through the schools internal placement test. If they grant credit retroactively they have essentially done what AP designed the test to do - make a 3 equivalent to a C from a state university for purposes of transfer. The selective school has made themselves feel superior, but really haven't done anything different than simply accepting the AP score in the first place.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2015, 10:11:32 AM »

I took AP Psychology my senior year of high school, but that's it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2015, 04:42:18 PM »

None of the colleges I was choosing between (Pomona, UChicago, Yale, and Northwestern) grant any meaningful credit for them whatsoever, nor did it knock out any gen-eds. They either granted a measly, couple "general elective credits" or "acceleration credits," which merely placed you into a higher level class where you could fulfill requirements instead of having to take an intro class. When they do grant a little credit here and there, you are bound by residency and minimum term obligations. This was a very rude awakening for my family, who is middle class, never attended college, and was under the impression that I was going to be able to graduate in 2.5-3 years with a double major and be on with my life.

That's on you for only considering those schools, isn't it? If you went to a state school, as most people do, you would be able to do just that. My abundant AP credit would have allowed me to graduate with a double major in three years, but instead I am graduating with a triple degree (B.A., B.A., B.S.) from a major public research university in four years. AP credit allowed me to skip introductory classes that would have bored me and allowed me to instead pursue more intellectually challenging coursework in a variety of disciplines beginning in my very first year. The cost of each AP test was also much lower than that of the corresponding college course would have been.

AP credits will probably not be useful if you are only interested in attending an Ivy League or similar private school. For the vast majority of students for whom that is not the case, they are quite helpful.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies