Ask afleitch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:12:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Ask afleitch
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ask afleitch  (Read 2517 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 08:58:30 AM »

I get that you don't hold to the concept of absolutes, so on to the next question, or actually a pair of questions.

What is your definition of evil?

Must evil by definition be "ungood" or is it possible for an action to be simultaneously good and evil?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 06:44:57 PM »

Did realizing you were gay contribute to your movement to atheism, or were you already an atheist when you discovered yourself?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 07:24:32 AM »

I get that you don't hold to the concept of absolutes, so on to the next question, or actually a pair of questions.

What is your definition of evil?

Must evil by definition be "ungood" or is it possible for an action to be simultaneously good and evil?

If I don't hold to the concept of absolutes on the question as to what is 'good', why would I hold a different position on what is 'evil?' (which I consider too strong a word anyway)

With regard to the second part of the question, evil is not necessarily that which is simply 'ungood'. Child abuse is evil in the sense it is an 'ungood' yes. However 'not abusing children' isn't a corresponding 'good' (even though in outcome it most definitely is) because it is not a position that is an exception to normalcy. Along side not killing the first person you meet when you wake up in the morning, not sexually abusing children is the default position of the supermajority of humans. They are 'neutral' as they are part of our inherent functioning (sociopaths aside) which is determined by our evolutionary inheritance as a social and intelligent animal. An 'evil' is a position that is by purpose of volition an 'intended negative' contrary to normalcy. Good is by purpose of volition an 'intended positive' contrary to normalcy (putting yourself in danger for someone else, with the normalcy being your own self preservation etc). That is an important differentiation unless you wish the default position of humanity to be one that is essentially 'good'. I wouldn't have a problem with that, but I am aware that one wouldn't heap plaudits on me for not killing the guy on the subway car next to me this morning or not deciding to steal from the shop across the road from the Subway station. They would not say I'm doing 'good'; I am doing what one would expect.

Did realizing you were gay contribute to your movement to atheism, or were you already an atheist when you discovered yourself?

I am 30. I've known I was attracted to boys like me (later men of course!) since I was at least 10. I wasn't able to get my head around the sexual response to men until I was 13/14 at which point I knew it was an exclusive attraction. At that time I was a Roman Catholic. I remained a Christian until I was 26. I have a history of posts on this forum attesting to that (and showing an ignorance towards non belief). However while trying to get to the heart of what god was (and abandoning Christianity privately) I understood it to be at first a pointless exercise and secondly as one very highly likely to be a pointless concept.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 10:42:44 AM »

If I don't hold to the concept of absolutes on the question as to what is 'good', why would I hold a different position on what is 'evil?' (which I consider too strong a word anyway)
I wasn't expecting you to hold a different position.  Indeed, it would be bizarre if you did.  But even tho you don't believe in an absolute definition of evil, I was still expecting you to have a working definition for your own everyday use, if only because society in general makes much of the concepts of good and evil.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies