Public Fuel and Power Act of 2014 (Final vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:54:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Fuel and Power Act of 2014 (Final vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Public Fuel and Power Act of 2014 (Final vote)  (Read 16583 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: July 09, 2014, 05:16:56 AM »

Well if it counts as anything I do like the composition of the board of and such for administering it.

I would prefer a competative model, with the gov't owning a fully up-to-date smart grid as a sort of exchange whereby local co-ops, private firms and such can then compete with each other putting a certain amount in at one end and then selling that same amount at the other, like of like the way a share oil pipeline works.  
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 04:35:20 AM »

Ah, anybody? Adam, bill?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:16:56 AM »

I think techology has provided the answer to the natural monopoly status of power distribution. Yes, I knew we had the grid, but I do think there are other key aspects and of course there is the flat rate charge that should be changed somehow, since that would prevent competition.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:41:19 AM »

I think techology has provided the answer to the natural monopoly status of power distribution. Yes, I knew we had the grid, but I do think there are other key aspects and of course there is the flat rate charge that should be changed somehow, since that would prevent competition.

What exactly does the flat rate refer to?

I was probably misreading it, but this line here: "The same rate must be charged to all transmission grid users." That is probably for the use of the grid though, and that would make sense in that case I guess.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 06:49:36 AM »

This is a simplification of TNF's original bill, which focuses solely on public utilities and expands the provisions in regards to setting a firm ceiling price for energy, which will eliminate price-gouging by private energy companies.

By pegging the cost of energy to a relevant and prudent size of our economy, we will restore sanity to a market sector that has experienced inflation at a rate of roughly one and a half times that of the general market over the past fifty years. Energy is obviously a prerequisite for any economic activity and as such, we should strive to ensure that its costs are at its absolute lowest possible. You simply cannot do that with a private sector model, as the goal of profit will always interfere.

You said the end goal is a "deregulated model" in a subsequent post, how does that square with the peg itself though? What regulations become unnecessary with this model? Also how would the peg itself affect supply?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 01:14:28 PM »

I as well, provided they be allowed to experiment with some degree of competiveness using co-opts and such forth.

Dear god, its a Revolution here. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 11:07:36 AM »

As a slightly connected matter, what happens of the cost of production/extraction of the raw materials or fuel for power generation exceeds the ability of the 7% to cover it? What means is that for production/material costs to be kept down and how easily can one form be switched to another to avoid a price spike. History is full of such spikes in price and such needs to be considered.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:23:20 AM »

It is somewhat discomforting to return from a three day absence to find you are the last person to have posted on not one but multiple bills. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 06:13:03 AM »

How much does clause 1 cost?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:53 AM »

Don't forget to process the amendment Windjammer. Smiley

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 11:20:17 AM »

And also what does the 2030 100% renewable deadline look like in terms of a percentage increase of energy costs and how much of that can be reasonably defrayed by removing profits?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 08:24:47 AM »

So where are we with this?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 12:07:43 PM »

I would like to see at least some response to Deus' last post as I am concerned about the issues that he has raised amongst others.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 01:03:21 AM »

Co-sponsors have little procedural significance and I cannot even remember if they are mentioned save for them being prohibited from withdrawing a bill. The primary/main sponsor just has to approve them.

Cynic first has to approved as new main sponsor.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »

Comrade TNF, the rules require a 24 hour vote change period for all votes that are not unanimous unless time has expired beforehand and it was started on the eleventh.

Reluctant Nay/b]

As much as I want some kind of altnerative distribution network this is far too complex and whilst bore improved it I think it still contains provisions that will be hard to manage or otherwise problematic and would detract from the benefits of the providing an alternative setup.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 04:32:45 PM »

Comrade TNF, the rules require a 24 hour vote change period for all votes that are not unanimous unless time has expired beforehand and it was started on the eleventh.

Reluctant Nay

As much as I want some kind of altnerative distribution network this is far too complex and whilst bore improved it I think it still contains provisions that will be hard to manage or otherwise problematic and would detract from the benefits of the providing an alternative setup.

For nearly five years now, people like myself have been looking to you, Senator Yankee, for leadership. I find it hard to believe that now, you oppose this bill only "reluctantly". That you feel such towards this utter catastrophe of legislation, that I find difficult for any thinking person to support, much less a self-declared conservative to regard with anything less than total and absolute opposition, is both shocking yet unsurprising. After all, your party, or at least several members of it, chose to hand the presidency to the man who now seems set upon signing this bill into law.

The fact that we are here today facing this predicament, is a heavy mark upon all of us who oppose the propagation, not to mention the implementation, of such complete nonsense as this, and it is a mark strongly made on people like yourself who seem to acquiesce to it. If there is a time to stand up and shout "NO!" I daresay now is that time, particularly for those who have made a name for themselves as leading voices. I understand you are facing challenges, and I wish you well. But that does not mean you must not resist calamities as strongly! Where is your voice?

This current text is so, but I meant that I would like some kind of alternative system that would compete with what are at present monopolies, but this doesn't do that. It replaces one with another and has a large array of problems obviously.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »

I'm not entirely sure, but is there a way to resume debate without having to put this through the queue again and waiting it out, Yankee? I seem to recall us having done something like this in the past.

You can stop a finalvote for any reason as long as you give a 72 hour objection period (might be 48 but I cannot remember offhand) afterwards.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 06:43:30 PM »

Keep in mind that Smart Grid Act thing we passed. I think you were here then but
I cannot recall, Duke.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 04:34:27 PM »

Never has an administrator closed down the Senate to outsiders in this fashion in the five years I have been a member. Roll Eyes
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »

Surely debate is over anyway because the bill failed?

Debate is a procedural recognized process defined by rules and yes by nature is over before the vote starts.

Discussion and open discussion that didn't exclude non-Senators has long occurred, particularly on bills that were finished with shall we say, "unfinished business". In general outside input has always been welcomed, and if a bill is basically dead, it is hardly an imposition on the Senate, in fact such discussion is less so.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies