TitD's random thoughts about food and drink thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:11:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  TitD's random thoughts about food and drink thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: TitD's random thoughts about food and drink thread  (Read 1871 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 04:13:51 PM »

Bump!

So, I've had it in my head for awhile that I should get a jar of anchovies and start experimenting with using them in various things (pasta sauce being the first, obvious thing that came to mind).  I got one recently, and opened it for a cheap "odds-and-ends-in-the-pantry" lunch consisting of:

- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 anchovy
- 1 onion, chopped into tiny pieces and sautéed
- a bit of tomato paste
- lots of black pepper and a dash of fennel

Throw it all in a saucepan (obviously with the onions first), let it simmer and meld for awhile.

It was pretty good!  Next time I might throw in some other veggies like carrots or something, possibly a second can of beans (it wasn't too fishy, but it probably could stand to be a touch less salty) or a touch of chili pepper, or maybe grate some parmesan on top.  Might try some different herbs, also.
Fishy black licorice covered in tomatoes and beans can meld...but not into anything palatable.

Firstly, you forgot the garlic.  Secondly, you forgot stock.  Thirdly, did you really just eat a bowl of tomatoes and beans?  Where was the polenta to pour it over?

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2015, 01:56:38 PM »

Fishy black licorice covered in tomatoes and beans can meld...but not into anything palatable.

Firstly, you forgot the garlic.  Secondly, you forgot stock.  Thirdly, did you really just eat a bowl of tomatoes and beans?  Where was the polenta to pour it over?

I don't really think of anchovies as having a licorice taste.  I guess they're both strong and divisive, though.

And yeah, putting it on polenta would be good; I think I had carbo-loaded the day before or something and wanted to keep it simple/smaller.  If I was making this for other people I'd certainly do that, though.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 02:14:32 PM »

I don't really think of anchovies as having a licorice taste.  I guess they're both strong and divisive, though.

And yeah, putting it on polenta would be good; I think I had carbo-loaded the day before or something and wanted to keep it simple/smaller.  If I was making this for other people I'd certainly do that, though.
I was referring to the fennel.  And there is nothing wrong with either ingredient.  But I like my anchovies well masked the way it is in Worcestershire sauce.  And anything licoricey should be sweet, imo.  Personal tastes.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2015, 02:28:30 PM »

It's not that that's wrong, just that it's completely orthogonal to my life.

Did know "orthogonal" could be used as an adjective like that. That's actually quite excellent.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 02:44:01 PM »

I was referring to the fennel.  And there is nothing wrong with either ingredient.  But I like my anchovies well masked the way it is in Worcestershire sauce.  And anything licoricey should be sweet, imo.  Personal tastes.

Ah right, my bad.  My fennel obsession is not for everyone, I realize. Tongue
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2015, 10:55:50 PM »

Not to turn it into Mr. Illini's random thoughts thread, but since beer was a prominent topic in this thread, I had the best wheat beer that I've ever had the other day. Ebel's Weiss Beer, brewed by Two Brothers in Warrenville, IL.

Not sure where it is available, possibly just here in IL, but wondering if anyone has had it (or other thoughts on good wheat beers or just beers in general).

312 is treated as the crown jewel of the wheat beers, at least among Illinoisans, and so that this beer beat out the Urban Pale is quite a statement.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2015, 11:33:48 PM »

Not to turn it into Mr. Illini's random thoughts thread, but since beer was a prominent topic in this thread, I had the best wheat beer that I've ever had the other day. Ebel's Weiss Beer, brewed by Two Brothers in Warrenville, IL.

Not sure where it is available, possibly just here in IL, but wondering if anyone has had it (or other thoughts on good wheat beers or just beers in general).

312 is treated as the crown jewel of the wheat beers, at least among Illinoisans, and so that this beer beat out the Urban Pale is quite a statement.

An excellent choice. I've had pretty much all the Two Brothers offerings including their special label Magnetic Moment in honor of arrival of the muon g-2 ring in 2013. The Two Brothers tap house (not to be confused with the Roundhouse) is not far from me. You should check it out some time.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2015, 12:14:56 AM »

An excellent choice. I've had pretty much all the Two Brothers offerings including their special label Magnetic Moment in honor of arrival of the muon g-2 ring in 2013. The Two Brothers tap house (not to be confused with the Roundhouse) is not far from me. You should check it out some time.

I really should. It was the first selection of theirs that I have had, but it was excellent.

I believe that their other brews are sold at locations throughout the suburbs as well, so I can try some more of what they offer in the mean time.

The suburbs have a number of microbrews really popping in size in recent years. The city mastered that awhile ago but it is cool to see Two Brothers as well as Small Town Brewery up in Wauconda gaining steam.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »

I've vaguely heard of Two Brothers, but don't know if they distribute out here.

I'll admit that wheat beers tend not to really be my jam, too many of them have a prominent banana flavor that I just don't like that much.  I don't know if you get it out in Illinois, but Allagash seems to be particularly well-regarded in the Northeast and even I like it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2015, 06:39:17 PM »

Today's xkcd is right on target:
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length