Confirmation hearing: Simfan for Attorney General (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:25:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation hearing: Simfan for Attorney General (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Confirmation hearing: Simfan for Attorney General (Failed)  (Read 2384 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »

Simfan would still be obliged to carry out certain legal duties as Attorney General even if he were to delegate most of the legal work to Deputy AG Snowstalker, but the fact that this position is at least nominally a legal one is not really what bothers me about what has happened here.

The issue is, of course, that no-one bothered letting me know that I actually was going to have to be renominated (although to your credit you did send me a PM about how you thought I would need to be) so I could keep an eye out for the thread or even just to tell me once the thread was started that people were asking questions (I recall Yankee doing this).

Obviously I'm not saying it's not my job to be on top of things but I was away for the weekend so I wasn't really on the forum all that much and I wasn't checking the Fantasy Government section for a thread I wasn't expecting to exist. Mea culpa, I suppose, but this could have avoided this had someone just kept me in the loop.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2014, 03:09:51 AM by VP windjammer »

Bullsh**t. Showing up to vote consistently doesn't make someone a good Senator, or even an engaged one.

Someone who contributes nothing to Senate debate has no reason to be here. Scan Goldwater's posting history on this board if you doubt me.

Note that he still hasn't commented on his vote here despite being asked; he only bothered making a self-pitying response about how he "doesn't have anything of value to add." He doesn't deserve anyone's sympathy.

By the way, what is the root of this idea that because someone isn't the worst, they must not be that bad? It seems to come up every time any Senator receives criticism over their activity.
You have perfectly the right to criticize Senator Goldwater, I'm not denying that.

However, what I don't like is the constant attacks made ONLY on Senator Goldwater. You, oakvale,... He's certainly not the only senator that should be criticized, and the critics are always for him. That's what I have remarked. He's a bit a scapegoat for some people. That was my point. And I don't like that.

-----------------
By the way, the right way to deal with a situation like this is to insist on a second hearing where the nominee is on hand to answer questions. I have no doubt that Simfan is capable, but the same applies to many past Cabinet appointees who have nonetheless failed to uphold their duties.

In this case, the supposed ambiguity over whether this hearing is necessary should have been a reason to ask more questions and insist on better answers. At least two constitutional requirements cast into doubt Simfan's belief that he has always been Attorney General. First, his original swearing in post has been deleted. Second, he swore into another office, serving as GM for weeks. Why would anyone in his right mind vote in the affirmative without hearing what the person nominated to be the government's foremost legal adviser has to say about this?

Everyone knows that I like Simfan a lot, so believe me when I say that my outrage has nothing to do with him. It's about this Senate's pathetic excuse for a confirmation hearing.
Simfan would still be obliged to carry out certain legal duties as Attorney General even if he were to delegate most of the legal work to Deputy AG Snowstalker, but the fact that this position is at least nominally a legal one is not really what bothers me about what has happened here.

The issue is, of course, that no-one bothered letting me know that I actually was going to have to be renominated (although to your credit you did send me a PM about how you thought I would need to be) so I could keep an eye out for the thread or even just to tell me once the thread was started that people were asking questions (I recall Yankee doing this).

Obviously I'm not saying it's not my job to be on top of things but I was away for the weekend so I wasn't really on the forum all that much and I wasn't checking the Fantasy Government section for a thread I wasn't expecting to exist. Mea culpa, I suppose, but this could have avoided this had someone just kept me in the loop.
Yes, I PMed Nappy, Averroes, Hagrid and Snowstalker, telling them the thread was opened, but I forgot to PM Simfan. I have currently a lot of work both irl and on this forum. I'm finishing my state house PVI, I will have an important role for the next senate as presiding officer (10 threads, and 15 right now), and I'm doing my Windjammer senate tracker.

Of course, that's a lot of things. And it's me who has chosen to do that. I would apologize if I did something wrong as Presiding officer, because it was for what I was elected and that the fact I have some other things to do wouldn't be an excuse.

However, in the case of PMing the nominees, that's not something I have to do. That's a bonus, like sometimes I'm PMing the senators just to be sure they don't miss the votes. That's a B-O-N-U-S, so I have no obligation to do that. I didn't have time to do for Simfan during the recent days because of my recent summer job and the problems with my foot. I won't apologize for not having done that. Because that's not my duty.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »

Simfan fails to be confirmed.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies