Ask Oakvale
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:56:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Ask Oakvale
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ask Oakvale  (Read 12819 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »

Do you like your eggs scrambled or sunny side?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »

You're catholic? So you believe in second chance? So why are you so opposed to Libertas' return Sad?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 03:11:53 PM »

You're catholic? So you believe in second chance? So why are you so opposed to Libertas' return Sad?

Well as a Catholic, Windjammer, I believe that some sins are mortal. Those include Libertas sending me a bunch of unsolicited PMs when he returned. I, of course, did not reply but the fiendish writing style and general uncomfortable tone is nicely encapsulated in the quote in my signature.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »

Why "oakvale", are you a fan of Fable, the lost Chapters???

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »

Why "oakvale", are you a fan of Fable, the lost Chapters???

No, I don't know what this is. As I remember, OAKVAL was one of those horrible captcha code things when I was registering on another side years ago so I added the 'e'.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 05:02:27 PM »

Are you happy about Germany's win?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 12:49:09 AM »

Why do you hate freedom? (Again)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 11:42:54 AM »

Do you like your eggs scrambled or sunny side?

Scrambled obviously since I'm not a psychopath.

I don't particularly care but I guess FRAU MERKEL's nation winning the World Cup might conceivably irritate Snowstalker, so...

What does this even mean, Worst?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »

How did you become the moderator of the ModCave?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 05:14:42 PM »

I had no desire to take on that task, but Inks and Morden begged and I felt I couldn't really refuse.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »

Would Irish culture be more or less interesting if the country had remained Irish speaking?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 01:04:25 PM »

Would Irish culture be more or less interesting if the country had remained Irish speaking?

I think it'd probably be worse. Our best writers all wrote in English, despite what the gabbling gombeen mafia will insist, and our literary (and otherwise) impact on the rest of the world - and the impact of the rest of the world on our culture - would have been massively diminished without the English language. Just personally I think it's a disastrous language that should be taken off life support as soon as possible - the unbearable smug attitude of the gaelgoir stormtroopers who act as if they're somehow more Irish than those who don't speak their dead language doesn't exactly help my opinion of the 'movement'.

What does the prime minister of Ireland have to do with Taoism?

That's actually quite simpler to answer if one thinks of the Taoiseach as striving to strike a harmonious balance between austerity economics, special interest redneck lobby groups (see: the GAA and the inexplicable Garth Brooks popularity) and vapid populism.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »

I think it'd probably be worse. Our best writers all wrote in English, despite what the gabbling gombeen mafia will insist, and our literary (and otherwise) impact on the rest of the world - and the impact of the rest of the world on our culture - would have been massively diminished without the English language. Just personally I think it's a disastrous language that should be taken off life support as soon as possible - the unbearable smug attitude of the gaelgoir stormtroopers who act as if they're somehow more Irish than those who don't speak their dead language doesn't exactly help my opinion of the 'movement'.

I wonder, what's it like having a national language but electing not to speak it? In the broader, societal sense, not just you. I imagine there aren't many countries in a similar situation- a non-dead ethnic language of the majority group. I imagine the Irish speakers must be sincerely confounded as to why everyone else isn't speaking it, and I can see how that would be annoying.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »

I wonder, what's it like having a national language but electing not to speak it? In the broader, societal sense, not just you. I imagine there aren't many countries in a similar situation- a non-dead ethnic language of the majority group. I imagine the Irish speakers must be sincerely confounded as to why everyone else isn't speaking it, and I can see how that would be annoying.

It's not that people are electing not to speak it as such - it's that they can't, and more importantly, that there's no point. Quite literally everyone in the country - and I'm including everyone in 'Gaeltacht' areas - speaks fluent English. For the overwhelming majority of those, English is their first and only language. Irish is a national language in name only - really it's the domain of a few smug hicks and pandering politicians who like to trumpet their Irishness by adding a few words in the language to a street sign occasionally.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »

Irish is a national language in name only - really it's the domain of a few smug hicks and pandering politicians who like to trumpet their Irishness by adding a few words in the language to a street sign occasionally.

If only it was just street signs...

True. As you might remember one of the issues that Fianna Fáil tackled in the months of economic collapse leading up to the bailout was to add Irish language notifications to the Dáil elevators.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 04:55:02 PM »

Irish is a national language in name only - really it's the domain of a few smug hicks and pandering politicians who like to trumpet their Irishness by adding a few words in the language to a street sign occasionally.

If only it was just street signs...

True. As you might remember one of the issues that Fianna Fáil tackled in the months of economic collapse leading up to the bailout was to add Irish language notifications to the Dáil elevators.

While I'm sympathetic (yes, I know you're not) to certain ideas of Irish language revival, the Irish language 'movement' is one massive circular firing squad so one so incompetent it manages to hit everyone except themselves, that though won't last forever.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 09:41:31 PM »

Which does the church see as a greater enemy: Jews or Protestants?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2014, 07:45:21 AM »

What is the correct way of getting rid of protestantism, and how many protestants must you personally kill to get into heaven? I ask this as a catholic who seeks penance.

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 03:26:37 PM »

Which does the church see as a greater enemy: Jews or Protestants?

I can only speak from my own perspective. St. Patrick drove the Jews out of Ireland centuries ago so I don't consider that to be a pressing social issue.

What is the correct way of getting rid of protestantism, and how many protestants must you personally kill to get into heaven? I ask this as a catholic who seeks penance.

No-one is talking about violence, but, yes Protestantism obviously must be stopped. It - in a strange, blandly liberal form - has killed this board, and - in a more virulent and relevant strain - has created people like GaussLaw and Jerry Falwell. All footsoldiers in the new Counter-Reformation are welcome.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 09:08:43 PM »

How do you Identify?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2014, 12:30:02 PM »

That's a big question but I think the ultimate thing to remember here is that, given cultural meh fleg meh fleg meh fleg meh fleg meh fleg meh fleg meh fleg meh fleg MEH FLEG  MEH FLEG  MEH FLEG IS MY IDENTITY  MEH FLEG MEH FLEG

MEH FLEG

MEH IDENTITY

THEY ARE TAKING MEH IDENTITY

NO SURRENDER TO FENIANS

MEH

FLEG

Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2014, 12:38:21 PM »

NO SURRENDER!
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »

Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2014, 11:25:36 PM »

Did freedom steal a popsicle from you when you were younger?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2014, 02:05:16 AM »

By what criteria do you ban people from Chat?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies