Is America ready for a president who is married to someone of a different race?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:34:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Is America ready for a president who is married to someone of a different race?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If a presidential candidate was married to someone of a different race, would it make a significant imapct on the candidate's performance?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Is America ready for a president who is married to someone of a different race?  (Read 3603 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:53:24 PM »

Make sure to read the poll question first.

We all know that the First Lady/Gentleman gets a lot of attention from the media, so if a presidential candidate was married to someone of a different race, would it make a significant imapct on the candidate's performance? I remember seeing a poll that showed that only 75% of Americans approved or interracial marriages, which is shockingly low.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:03:04 PM »

Probably, but it depends on the particular race of the candidate and their spouse.  For example, Obama would never have been elected if he was married to a white woman.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:04:15 PM »

Probably, but it depends on the particular race of the candidate and their spouse.  For example, Obama would never have been elected if he was married to a white woman.
So you think that Obama would've even lost in 2008 even with the financial crisis and the two wars if he was married to a white women?
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »

Probably, but it depends on the particular race of the candidate and their spouse.  For example, Obama would never have been elected if he was married to a white woman.
So you think that Obama would've even lost in 2008 even with the financial crisis and the two wars?

He wouldn't have won the nomination. Black female voters would probably have voted for Hillary if he was married to a white lady.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:12:09 PM »

So you think that Obama would've even lost in 2008 even with the financial crisis and the two wars?

He wouldn't have won the nomination. Black female voters would probably have voted for Hillary if he was married to a white lady.

Bingo, it wouldn't have helped with white people either though.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:36:58 PM »

Having a white wife would've helped Obama more than it hurt it's ridiculous to think it would have cost him the nomination.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 10:03:39 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2014, 10:08:30 PM by RR1997 »

Having a white wife would've helped Obama more than it hurt it's ridiculous to think it would have cost him the nomination.

Can you,or someone else who agrees with you, please explain why you think that Obama would've done better if he was married to a white women?

Also, here are some interesting graphs:

A large majority of Americans approve of marriages between blacks and whites:

But a plurality of people in Mississippi think that interracial marriages should be ILLEGAL:

Amazing how in this day and age some people can be this backwards.

Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 11:11:14 PM »

Can you,or someone else who agrees with you, please explain why you think that Obama would've done better if he was married to a white women?

But a plurality of people in Mississippi think that interracial marriages should be ILLEGAL:

I wonder what the "Not Sure's" are thinking?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »

Yes.  As far as Obama doing worse if he married a white woman.  Fact of the matter is the only people who would care or get bent out of shape over such a thing, wouldn't be voting for Obama under any circumstances anyway.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 11:58:21 PM »

Just to note, it is a plurality of self identified Republicans in Mississippi, not people.  It's not exactly shocking that there is a large number of very backwards Republicans in Mississippi.

The same is true for Alabama (shocking....).  The law banning interracial marriage actually remained on the books (though not enforced), well after Loving V Virginia.  They had a vote to remove it in 2000, and around 40% voted to keep the law on the books, looking at the counties that had the most opposition to interracial marriage shouldn't surprise anyone.....
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 01:37:14 AM »

No, why would people care? And why should they? Yes, America is ready and has been for a long time, In fact I think America is almost ready for a gay president, but we have a LONG way to go with atheists.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 07:45:30 AM »

Yes, I think America is ready for a president who is in an interracial marriage. It could have a limited impact on how the candidate performs, but I suspect that it would help more often than hurting.

If Obama had a white wife, I think that people would have viewed him as having a new American family. I have my doubts that African-American women would have voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2008 Democratic primaries simply due to Obama having a white wife, especially if Obama had been as active in outreach to the black community as he was in real life. Furthermore, if his theoretical white wife were active on the campaign trail and had a friendly demeanor like the one Michelle Obama or Jackie Kennedy cultivated, the wife would probably be a net asset to the campaign.
DarthNader

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »

I think Cory Booker or any future black candidate could have a white spouse and it would not be an issue. However, Obama was running to be the first black president. Among African Americans, there was a certain pride associated with that, and it was very much enhanced by the image that he and Michelle have as a couple. Replace Michelle with a white woman, and I'm not sure the effect is the same.

Would JFK have won 80% of Catholics if he was in an interfaith marriage? Would Bill Clinton have won feminists if he was married to Gennifer Flowers? These things matter at the margins, but the '08 nom was decided entirely at the margins.

Even IRL, Obama was questioned on whether he was "black" enough, or whether a man from a biracial background could even call himself "black" (I honestly recall someone from the networks asking him this). The whole '08 campaign got bogged down in race/gender questions anyway, I can't imagine any positive effect from a discussion of interracial marriage.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 09:56:24 AM »

We already have a president who's married to someone of a different race, seeing as how Michelle is not biracial.
DarthNader

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 10:20:49 AM »

We already have a president who's married to someone of a different race, seeing as how Michelle is not biracial.

Biracial is not a race. As I recall Obama's answer to the reporter, he had no choice in being "black" growing up because that's how he would be seen by the majority culture.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 04:38:40 PM »

If it is going to happen anytime soon, I suspect it will be a White man married to a non-White woman.  Whether the man or the woman are the President in the scenario is irrelevant. 
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 05:05:15 PM »

My guess is that the first "biracial" couple in the White House will be a white/hispanic combo.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 05:07:39 PM »

My guess is that the first "biracial" couple in the White House will be a white/hispanic combo.

Agreed.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 05:26:46 PM »

Agreed.

Jeb Bush is married to a Hispanic. It may happen in 2016.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 10:16:14 AM »

Agreed.

Jeb Bush is married to a Hispanic. It may happen in 2016.
Asian and White also.
TrueMan
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 08:38:57 AM »

I think, our country is ready for everything. Even for the gay at the  presidency. But we should care about the morals of our society, first.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 12:27:32 PM »

There are only two real races in America, however: black and not black.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies