stay at home dad
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:22:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  stay at home dad
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: stay at home dad  (Read 1113 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »

Anyone else planning on being a stay at home dad? If/when I have kids i would want to be involved in their daily lives...make sure they are the smartest and most talented kids I could make. Does this appeal to anyone else or am I a freak? Of course, I'd probably work again later on in life.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 11:06:19 PM »

It appeals to me, but circumstance has provided for a more traditional arrangement.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 11:17:19 PM »

My dad was a stay-at-home dad for a good portion of my early childhood until my parents got divorced. That fact actually helped him win custody, IIRC. I can definitely see the appeal, but after as much as I've invested in my education, it would seem a less than optimal decision for my family.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:14:23 AM »

The "Dad" part has little to do with my opposition to being one. I'd rather do professional work than take care of a household's daily maintenance.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:30:16 AM »

I'm good with kids. I guess they like big outgoing dudes, so it seems to work. I'm also about to start training to be an elementary school teacher. So yeah, I could see myself being a stay-at-home dad. I think I'd really like it, too.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:29:51 AM »

If you asked me to stay at home to keep up the traditional household duties while my partner supplies us with the main income, I suppose I wouldn't have a problem with that. But, if you threw in kids, I'd probably be miserable on some level. I am not willing to voluntarily take on that challenge.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:02:03 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2014, 02:31:52 PM by memphis »

If it's what you want and can make it happen, go for it, but be prepared for a lot of judgmental people. People are much less accepting of men breaking gender expectations than they are for women.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »

If it's what you want and can make it happen, go for it, but be prepared for a lot of judgmental people. People are much less accepting of men breaking gender expectations than they are for women.

True and depressing.  As feminists (correctly) say, "the patriarchy hurts men, too".

Anyway, yeah, I've thought about it from time to time and it holds quite a bit of appeal.  Probably won't happen for the simple reason that children probably won't happen, but if I were to ever become a parent I'd be sorely tempted.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 10:33:54 PM »

Yes, I would like to be a dad, and be "stay at home" for some of the time, maybe with some work I can do from home or other part-time work.  I would like to homeschool my kids for a few years too if they are up for it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 01:02:03 AM »

You've got to find a mate that makes more than you do/can.  That's hard for some of us.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 12:06:36 PM »

If thats what you want, then go for it!
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 09:25:40 PM »

Do you, bro.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that. 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 10:10:41 PM »

You've got to find a mate that makes more than you do/can.  That's hard for some of us.

It is usually a family financial decision. When my daughter was an infant/toddler my wife had the better job. However, her commute was almost two hours, so that knocked out about 12 hours of the day. I used day care at my place of work and worked night shifts as well, but I was the primary care giver in the morning and evening.

When my son was due, my wife went self-employed and our roles shifted. However, there was a year when she had a client that required her to spend the work weeks out of state, and we shifted again during that stretch.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 05:24:58 PM »

I would if I had to.  I also wouldn't be afraid to take leave (paid or unpaid) after my children are born (that is, if I ever have kids.)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 08:33:03 PM »

I don't have an issue with it, but I'm the high earner so it doesn't really make sense for me.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 12:50:41 AM »

I know a couple of stay at home dads and they live for it. It's awesome, but I don't think it is for me. I really want to build a career and I'm not even keen on the idea of having kids.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies