Should Private School (k-12) be Abolished in the United States?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:04:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should Private School (k-12) be Abolished in the United States?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Should Private School (k-12) be Abolished in the United States?
Yes

No

Gov't policy should make it weaker

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Should Private School (k-12) be Abolished in the United States?  (Read 7446 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »

Many people say the abolition of private school will make public schools better
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:24:07 AM »

No, public schools should be abolished and replaced with a private voucher system.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:32:32 AM »

Of course not. Private schools do better than public system. I'm not in favor of outlawing public schools, but a voucher system would do much better.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:37:14 AM »

No but they should be prohibited from charging tuition and follow strict guidelines on curriculum.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:44:48 AM »

No but they should be prohibited from charging tuition and follow strict guidelines on curriculum.
What's the point of prohibiting tuition and standardizing curriculum? I can understand if you want to prohibit creationism but why set a strict curriculum?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:06:20 AM »

I had never heard of the idea of banning private schools before I came to this site. Utterly ridiculous.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 01:34:58 AM »

Preferably selective education would be prohibited, but it is probably more feasible to push for the elimination of state funding of private institutions, diverting it to the public facilities.  I don't know how much assistance the private schools in the United States receive, but in Australia the level of support they receive is astounding and ridiculous.  One of the biggest obstacles to equality of opportunity is inferior education for those from lower-class backgrounds.  Independently of that, the schools are often religiously influenced, which, if beholden to fundamentalist views, can have a negative impact on the greater society (I assume a reasonable correlation between private schooling K-12 and not believing in evolution and/or or climate change), and the exclusionary nature of the schools regardless of any religious leanings prepares the students for a lifetime of segregation.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 01:42:13 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2014, 11:54:24 PM by Senator Griffin (LAB-NB) »

No, public schools should be abolished and replaced with a private voucher system.

Because if you abolish public schools, guess what becomes the de-facto public school system? LOL at the idea that you guys are going to succeed at decentralizing an already heavily decentralized public education system. There are few - if any - other aspects of the public sector in this country that are as open to interpretation by municipalities and counties as education.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »

What's the point of prohibiting tuition and standardizing curriculum? I can understand if you want to prohibit creationism but why set a strict curriculum?

To ensure that all students in the country learn at least some things as a whole. I mean I'm not saying there will be no flexibility at all with regards to curriculum.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 04:40:58 PM »

So do you then support public funding for these schools too?  Because other than that, you would be making them public schools in all but name.

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 05:17:08 PM »

So do you then support public funding for these schools too?  Because other than that, you would be making them public schools in all but name.

No, I don't. There will be some differences-for example private schools would be able to provide religious instruction if they wished.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 07:04:45 PM »

No, I don't. There will be some differences-for example private schools would be able to provide religious instruction if they wished.

How do you expect them to operate, then?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »

No (normal).
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 07:39:21 PM »

Donations and grants, similar to what private universities get. The goal is to prevent any sort of  income-based segregation between private and public schools.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 08:45:12 PM »

So do you then support public funding for these schools too? Because other than that, you would be making them public schools in all but name.

Donations and grants, similar to what private universities get. The goal is to prevent any sort of  income-based segregation between private and public schools.
I happen to go to a private school that has several students who receive financial aid or scholarships.

Frankly, I don't care about this perceived income based "segregation?" If a private school has high academic standards and only hires the most qualified teachers possible, they're going to have to charge high tuition. Private donations and grants don't exist in large enough numbers to support the number of private schools we have. Should my school, which is arguably the cheapest and most accessible private school in the county, be shut down because it can no longer fund itself? Arguments against private schools are the perfect archetype for the culture of destruction that pervades under the blanket of equality.”

I live in a county where the public schools are trash. Complete trash. My brother went into the public school system for the first time last year, and he's getting out of rebab on Sumday after a three month stay. Why should my parents send him back to this? Why should they not send him to an enviroment where people are willing to invest a good sum of money for a better education?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 10:29:58 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 10:51:26 PM »

To me this is like asking if we should abolish privately run newspapers, or should the government  just tightly regulate their content.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 12:22:37 AM »

Yeah, I really don't see how a freedom loving person can be against private schools.  You don't have to LIKE them, but to want to legislate them out of existence is insane to me.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:59 AM »

Besides the True Left proletariat, virtually no one is interested in reducing access to education.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 10:24:46 AM »

Parents have a right to decide where their children receive education.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 10:29:07 AM »

No, private schools should be able to exist and have a certain degree of independence, assuming that certain state-set standards are adhered to.

Home schooling should be illegal in most cases, however.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »

No, private schools should be able to exist and have a certain degree of independence, assuming that certain state-set standards are adhered to.

Home schooling should be illegal in most cases, however.

So what do you say to a child who is being bullied and victimized and doesn't feel physically or emotionally safe at their local school? Or to a child that is heavily involved in, say, acting or competitive sports and is being homeschooled to work around that schedule?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »

There's something distinctly fascist about a government school system in a place where all alternatives are outlawed.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2014, 09:47:33 PM »

Yes, of course. It's impossible for "equality of opportunity" to exist as long as private schools exist.

No child deserves a better education just because their parents make more money or have better connections.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 11:23:12 PM »

Yes, of course. It's impossible for "equality of opportunity" to exist as long as private schools exist.

No child deserves a better education just because their parents make more money or have better connections.

And yet that would happen even without private schools, just based on geography.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies