Ontario redistribution - my 170 seat proposal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:21:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ontario redistribution - my 170 seat proposal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ontario redistribution - my 170 seat proposal  (Read 8570 times)
adma
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »

I'm also thinking of how the Downsview redraw would push the "York Centre" portion further in an NDP direction, now that it's part of a more NDP-favourable seat.  OTOH I can see East York pushing *away* from the NDP, now that the Prue factor's gone and w/Tabuns likely to stay southward...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 06:50:49 AM »

Here it is on the provincial map:

Looks like the NDP would've won 3 seats, the Liberals would win the rest. Not sure about Scarborough-Malvern, though- but I speculate that it went Liberal.

How close would York Mills have been?

Probably not that close. More polls in the eastern half of the riding.

I'm also thinking of how the Downsview redraw would push the "York Centre" portion further in an NDP direction, now that it's part of a more NDP-favourable seat.  OTOH I can see East York pushing *away* from the NDP, now that the Prue factor's gone and w/Tabuns likely to stay southward...

I'd say, Prue comes back to run in York East and wins.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »

So in other words, there isn't really a possibility to pack rich Tories into a riding without serious gerrymandering.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 09:04:24 PM »

So in other words, there isn't really a possibility to pack rich Tories into a riding without serious gerrymandering.

To be fair, my map did inadvertently split up any would-be Tory regions. I suppose you could make a fair map that has a Tory district somewhere in that area.
adma
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 07:27:55 AM »

Hypothetically, something roughly circumscribed by the Allen Road, Leslie, Eglinton and the 401 could do the trick.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »

Orthodox Jews and very rich people.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2014, 08:48:17 PM »

How does one draw ridings?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 07:00:16 AM »

That's such a vague question, could you be more specific?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »

I mean, is there like a Canadian version of DRA?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »

I mean, is there like a Canadian version of DRA?

Oh, no. We have geosearch, but you got to do the maths and maps by hand. It also hasn't been working lately.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2015, 12:02:31 PM »

I'm bumping this because the Wynne government has opted to continue to use the federal boundaries for the next provincial election, while maintaining the extra seat in the North: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/ontario-will-match-most-federal-riding-changes-gets-15-new-electoral-districts

I expected this of course, but I'm still disappointed. Northern Ontario's map will likely continue to be the same, which was last drawn in 1996.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2015, 07:05:13 PM »

What to you not like, Hatman? The lack of population equality? I agree with using the federal ridings and current northern provincial ridings.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 10:14:35 PM »

Why can't Ontario have its own boundaries?
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2015, 06:31:12 AM »

Why can't Ontario have its own boundaries?

Tories wont let us have nice things Tongue

I'm actually OK with North having special treatment in riding sizes being smaller (population wise) these are huge riding's, with the exception of Sudbury and SSM, and being able to represent them is already very tasking with the sheer size and distance between many communities. The North is becoming very important economically with the Ring of fire and the region needs to be represented adequately... plus more ridings in the North theoretically help the NDP Tongue Lets bring back the 1995 riding's for the North!! lol
At least they are increasing the size based on southern ontario growth, they could have just left things as they were which would be even worse
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2015, 08:06:44 PM »

Large ridings kills a lot of the localism in politics. Plus small ridings are more likely to produce funky results Cheesy
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2015, 03:14:17 PM »

Large ridings kills a lot of the localism in politics. Plus small ridings are more likely to produce funky results Cheesy

There's that too.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2016, 07:58:32 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2016, 10:01:24 PM by toaster »

I hate to bring up an old thread, and perhaps there is another place for this, but Ontario is considering breaking up both Kenora - Rainy River and Timmins - James Bay, and creating 1, and possibly 2 extra ridings.

http://tvo.org/article/current-affairs/the-next-ontario/proposal-for-new-ridings-in-ontarios-north-falls-short
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2016, 08:51:26 PM »

I read my comment from a year ago, and I take it back. I'd be all for increasing the number of seats in the Ontario leg, especially if it's tied to electoral reform, ie. adding top-up seats without taking away geographical representation.
toaster
Canada

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2016, 10:04:30 PM »

I read my comment from a year ago, and I take it back. I'd be all for increasing the number of seats in the Ontario leg, especially if it's tied to electoral reform, ie. adding top-up seats without taking away geographical representation.

Yeah.  The notion though, that the Liberal party has nothing to gain is false.  When you take away the far North from Timmins - James Bay, Timmins proper becomes much more competitive for the Liberal Party, although I'm not sure that it would remain alone.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2016, 11:01:22 PM »

This is ridiculous. Northern Ontario is already over represented, it even still has one more seat than in federal elections.

Maybe it's time for devolution!
toaster
Canada

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2016, 03:37:27 PM »

This is ridiculous. Northern Ontario is already over represented, it even still has one more seat than in federal elections.

Maybe it's time for devolution!

Far Northern Ontario is the Nunavut of Ontario.  The massive geographic landmass is very difficult to cover and serve, not to mention that, it is always the "White guy from Timmins" (in the case of T-JB) who represents them (although, I personally believe the current member does a good job for the region).  As someone who used to live in Timmins, I think the sentiment in that city was that they felt they got less because they happened to be in such a huge riding.  The comparison was always "Look at what Sudbury got... We have to share what our riding "gets" (financially) with an area that is larger than most countries (ie. we get much less). 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies