Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:51:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you  (Read 14863 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« on: September 10, 2014, 12:49:10 PM »

Sorry to butt in to Mikado's thread, but there's a few books that I enjoyed that covered parts of the period in question Cathcon.

The Restoration of Rome - Peter Heather: This, basically, is an overview of European history post the collapse of the Roman Empire in the west, and focuses heavily upon the successor Kingdoms of the 'barbarians' (the Visigothic Kingdom and the Frankish Kingdom for example), as well as upon the Papacy.

The Inheritance of Rome - Chris Wickham: More academic, perhaps, than Heather's book, its nonetheless worth a read, and more or less covers the same ground.

I'd also recommend, if your interested, John Julius Norwich's boolks on the Byzantine Empire and the Papacy. Whilst I think opinion of Norwich's merits as a historian is somewhat divided (and he certainly allows his own personal biases to creep into his work), his book are enjoyable to read, and do cover the period that your interested in (although the book on the Popes goes right the way up to the reign of JPII, so maybe not).

Just a couple of suggestions.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 03:30:21 AM »

Do you think that the Crusades sped up or slowed the decline of the Byzantine Empire?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies