Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:58:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you  (Read 14864 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: July 12, 2014, 08:35:09 AM »

Ok, I'll shoot and mention something that has interested me recently, what do you think would have been the history of Marxism after WWI had the Russian Revolution never happened/been a failure?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 06:41:47 PM »

What do you know about the interesting historical case of the Khazars?

There's a long-standing view that today's Jews are mostly Khazar descendants, but given how very few (relatively speaking) Khazars actually converted to Judaism, while it might be possible that later Jews have some Khazar blood in them, they're clearly not the source of Jews elsewhere.

I believe Genetic evidence has ruled out this as a serious theory (i.e. The Khazars are the origin of European Jewry).
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:00:03 AM »

I don't think it was ever something that you could politely describe as a 'serious theory'.

Ah right. This is not my field (to put it mildly) so I thought it taken at least semi-seriously. But then again Arthur Koestler believed it, which isn't always the best sign (attitude to Stalin excepted).
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:10:24 PM »

I'm reading Norman Davies' Vanished Kingdoms atm. I believe you have also read it? Opinions?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »

Mikado, any good book recommendations from various parts of European history? I doubt I'll have time to do any extra reading this semester, but just in case...

You'll need to be more specific about the topic, and I'm sure Al would be happy to help out here.

If you needed just a random suggestion, you could do worse than Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies mentioned above.  It's a book about countries that once existed but no longer do, and its 15 chapters are all basically stand-alone (and if you're an e-book guy you can actually get the chapters of that book a la carte).  That nature makes the book go from its rather intimidating 700+ pages to basically a collection of 15 reasonable-length essays.

Personally (having read 13 of the 15 chapters so far) I find the chapters very varying in the quality. The Irish chapter was a trolling exercise which was full of minor factual errors. Some of the chapters - in particular those entitled 'Etruria' and 'Rosenau' - were a bit 'meh' as they focused too much, at least for my taste, on gossip with crowns on disguised as history. He also gets bogged down with detail in long places, especially with the minutiae of trying convince everyone that Poland is/was very important and Historians and commentators are ridiculously biased against Eastern Europe. Both correct, but a bit overdone.

However that isn't to say that I'm not enjoying it. It's a really intriguing work, if a little frustrating.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 05:40:48 PM »

How does Einzige's (AKA Meursault) cowardice in refusing a manly duel rank in all time violations of the code duello?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies