Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:45:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chat with The Mikado about cool history topics that interest you  (Read 14858 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: September 13, 2014, 05:30:24 PM »

I've been thinking of race relations in the USA, specifically between the black minority and the white majority (but not necessarily including the white elite power brokers) post-1965.  It seems like things were becoming normalized from about the mid-60s through the 70s and into the early 80s.  Then, starting sometime in the mid- to early-80s, things started getting weird.  By the 90s identity was strong.  Society has become increasing fragmented along racial and ethnic lines.  Nowadays, I can't even turn on the television without hearing about some race riot or other, or about racially-motivated criminal or civil actions.  What was the turning point?  Was it a single event 30 years ago?  Was it a series of events?  How did we s start moving in the wrong direction with regard to race relations?

I completely disagree.  There are much more interracial marriages and neighborhood integration. We have a black president and more minorities in positions of power.  Race relations are much better now than 20 and 30 years ago. More locally, NYC was a powder keg and relations are now good.

On news stories much of this revolves around policing stories, no? I think the difference is that in the video age cops are more likely to be taken to task for their bad behavior.  Further, it is a question of what gets reported.  I'm sure the news media has more reports of discrimination now than Jim Crow era Alabama. It is recognized that times are wrong.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies