GM Political Independence Amendment (failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:08:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  GM Political Independence Amendment (failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GM Political Independence Amendment (failed)  (Read 2070 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: July 14, 2014, 11:38:25 PM »

When I was GM, I wanted to have independence from the President so that I could do what I wanted without real repercussions/not put my Presidents in a difficult position where they needed to relinquish me. With that being said, it was usually when I wanted to be up to no good.

Looking back and now that I am no longer, I actually have to disagree with removing the President's dismissal powers of the GM. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:49:00 AM »

Now that you are no longer? So if you were to become GM again, you would support removing President's removal powers? Tongue

Well, of course, but I'm a Senator now! Tongue I suppose I should actually support removing the President's powers and then giving them to us, but after 3 confirmation hearings of my own, I simply cannot. Cheesy
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 04:27:49 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2014, 01:40:03 AM by Senator Griffin (LAB-NB) »

Nay
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:39:47 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2014, 01:41:35 AM by Senator Griffin (LAB-NB) »

I agree with Adam's assessment, so I'm surprised to see that he's voted yes on this. If you take away the President's power of appointment and replace it with nothing, and you remove all accountability from the GM. I'm shocked that this seems likely to pass with barely any discussion.

Wow if this was in effect two months ago we would still be stuck with simfan. Maybe I should resign and run for senate if people in this body actually think this is a good idea. Wow.

It wouldn't be quite so bad if this amendment actually put someone in a position of oversight. Allowing two-thirds of the Senate to remove the GM equates to allowing the office carte blanche. The idea that it would work is laughable. If you want to see how well Senate oversight works in practice, look no farther than the Ben Constine impeachment hearing.

OK, so I read that completely wrong because I was distracted earlier - somehow I was convinced that we had changed the text/were striking the part that removed the President's ability in the final bill in a convoluted way. Tongue Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Changing my vote to Nay.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies