Are women who demand access to family planning services "vile and horrible"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:26:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Are women who demand access to family planning services "vile and horrible"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What do you think?
Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Are women who demand access to family planning services "vile and horrible"?  (Read 1950 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
« edited: July 13, 2014, 12:48:18 PM by shua »

I won't make any universal judgements on a person's character for this, but trying to force someone to give you something when to do so would go against their beliefs is itself generally a horrible thing to do.

It's worth noting that virtually no one would agree to this unequivocally. There are rules that we expect everyone to abide by, regardless of what his or her personal beliefs dictate.

Thus the "generally,"  but the fact that it is not absolute does not mean that the principle should just be ignored.

I noticed that, but I find it strange that you wouldn't also respond to this poll's question by admitting that the women whom it refers to are generally not horrible or vile.

I don't advocate ignoring the principle completely, either, but I don't understand why how someone uses their health insurance benefit should be of any more concern to their employer than what that employee does with any other benefit. The connection between an employer paying for insurance and the coverage that an employee receives based on that employee's needs and personal choices is too indirect for me to find the personal beliefs argument at all compelling.

No, of course, the women whom this loaded poll question refers to are not generally horrible or vile. Thus "I won't make any universal judgements on a person's character for this" though maybe that was a bit too understated for this to come across.

There can be a sense of complicity in signing up for explicitly providing something that doesn't come with just writing a check to a person. Fundamentally, that someone has a conscientious objection to some act, even if it doesn't seem to someone else that they have a compelling reason should, is enough for me that their complaint should be accommodated if at all possible. And in this case, it is clear to me that it is possible to provide a benefit to people who need it through ways other than directly through an employer or other institution one is affiliated with. For one thing, one might be able to choose to avoid an employer, or not go to a university, that does not provide a certain benefit if it is important to someone.  Also there are government programs to provide contraception to those who need it (in a way that in fact does not exist for most medicinal care).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies