Department of Internal Affairs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:55:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Department of Internal Affairs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Department of Internal Affairs  (Read 4612 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »
« edited: September 12, 2014, 10:56:05 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Hey everybody—

Welcome to the Department of Internal Affairs megathread! In the past, Secretaries of Internal Affairs have usually opened a couple different threads to share updates, but I’m thinking it might be easier to have everything to do with my job come out of this one office.

Over the course of my term, I’ll be issuing directives, statements, and story updates which will be linked in this opening post; consider it your go-to place for everything “DoIA.” As we go, I’ll also be updating a directory of important federal and regional officeholders for your convenience. In addition, below you’ll find links to other projects I may be working on at a given time, like the July allotment of the Pacific Stimulus or, potentially, the Council of Atlasian Regional Executives.

My main goal over the next four months is to show that the position of Secretary of Internal Affairs still has an important place in this game as a provider news, a bridge between all levels of government, and a member of the administration who looks out for the regions. As such, you can expect that I’ll work closely with the administration, regions, senate, and press to make this game a more interactive and immersive experience for everyone.

I hope you’ll follow along with interest, ask questions when you’ve got them, and let me know how I’m doing as time moves along.

Thanks,

HagridOfTheDeep
Secretary of Internal Affairs

STATEMENTS from the Secretary of Internal Affairs
(2014.07.14) Statement on the Public Means Public Act and Homelessness in Atlasia
(2014.08.03) Statement on the Second Pacific Stimulus
(2014.08.28) Statement on the Earthquake in the Napa Valley

NEWS UPDATES from the Secretary of Internal Affairs
[More to come]

DIRECTIVES of the Secretary of Internal Affairs
(2013.02.09) Directive #001 Northeast Exemption from Standardized Testing
(2014.03.26) Directive #002 Pandemic and Bio-Hazard Response Plans
(2014.03.26) Directive #003 General Motors Investigative Action
(2014.07.14) Directive #004 Funding for the Housing First Act in the IDS
(2014.07.22) Directive #005 Recall Request of Re-Evaluation of Food Inspection Standards
(2014.08.12) Directive #006 Funding for the Homelessness Combattement Act in the Pacific
(2014.08.13) Directive #007 Clarification of Operating Costs at the Capitol Complex

ATLASIAN OFFICEHOLDERS and Contact Information
[More to come]

OTHER LINKS of Interest
(2014.03.05) Former Office of Cincinnatus, SoIA
(2014.04.29) The First Pacific Stimulus, April 2014
(2014.06.06) Pacific Council Discussion on the Second Pacific Stimulus, July 2014
(2014.07.07) Confirmation Hearing for HagridOfTheDeep, SoIA-Designate
(2014.08.03) The Second Pacific Stimulus, July 2014
(2014.08.05) Cost Estimate for the Northeast House the Homeless Act

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »

Congratulations on confirmation, Mr. Secretary.  I'm pleased to see that the new SoIA will take on a more active role in game affairs. Smiley

If I may, I'd like to give you your first job as our new Secretary.  Pursuant to Section 1, Clause 1 of The Public means Public Act, I would like to request $5 billion on behalf of the Imperial Dominion of the South for allocation toward our housing and care service program.  This program in question was established by the Housing First Act.  You may review the bill in question in determining our eligibility for the block grant and you may ask me any questions you might have.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »

This office gives me hope.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 02:20:27 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2014, 12:05:35 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

STATEMENT from the Secretary of Internal Affairs
ON THE PUBLIC MEANS PUBLIC ACT and HOMELESSNESS IN ATLASIA

Secretary HagridOfTheDeep spoke today at the grand opening
of a public housing project in Tampa, Florida.

TAMPA, FL (2014.07.14)—

Just over one week ago, President DemPGH signed into law the Public Means Public Act, which makes available to the regions $5 billion for anti-homelessness programs. I’m pleased to be here in Tampa at the opening of this facility to announce that I will be distributing $1 billion of that money to the Imperial Dominion of the South to cover a share of the costs of its Housing First Program. It’s thanks to the Housing First Program that public apartments like these are being built across the Imperial Dominion of the South in communities struggling to improve the lives of their homeless citizens. I chose to be here in Florida today because Florida has the largest homeless population in the region and carries the unfortunate distinction of being the most dangerous state in Atlasia for homeless men and women. This administration shares Emperor Scott's commitment to improving the fortunes of homeless people throughout the country.

Indeed, too many people live without shelter in each of our country's five regions. While providing a basic standard of housing has been the legislature’s solution here, there are many other ways we can give Atlasia’s homeless population a hand up. With that in mind, I’m reserving $1 billion for anti-homelessness initiatives in each of the Midwest, Mideast, Northeast, and Pacific. I have been in touch with their governors and I’m confident that they will discuss this issue with their legislatures and come to me with proposals of their own. The money is there—it’s time to extend an arm to the homeless and get serious about tackling this issue.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2014, 12:09:22 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

DIRECTIVE of the Secretary of Internal Affairs
RE: FUNDING FOR THE HOUSING FIRST ACT
in the IMPERIAL DOMINION OF THE SOUTH

You must be logged in to read this quote.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:18:19 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2014, 12:09:36 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

RE: FOOD SAFETY CODE VIOLATIONS
at the TYSON FRESH MEATS FACILITY

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »

Mr. Secretary, can I get an estimate of costs for my bill currently before the NE Assembly?

HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:40:06 PM »

Mr. Secretary, can I get an estimate of costs for my bill currently before the NE Assembly?

This has been seen. I'll get back to you before the weekend at the latest.

I've never done an estimate like this, so maybe I'll tell you how I plan on reaching a number and you can let me know if it makes sense. A quick look through the bill tells me I'll probably need to make an educated guess as to how many shelters the Northeast Anti-Homelessness Act created. Once I've got that number I'll account for the wages of people working extra hours to keep the facilities open during the day.

Beds are already provided, but food will be an additional cost that I'll look into. Maybe I'll cost it at roughly $5.00 a plate and multiply it by the number of homeless people you guys expect to be serving.

Building more facilities will obviously cost more, but it's hard to know exactly how many would be created by this Act. I'll try to figure something out.

The section that guarantees employment to homeless people in shelters seems like it might be a bit costly. I mean, the Northeast Anti-Homlessness Act basically guarantees everyone a bed. And if homeless people are using state beds, why wouldn't the majority of them want to get in on a job, too?

Anyway, yeah. I'll talk with people who have done estimates before and get back to you. Tongue Hopefully my general approach is suitable.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:06:22 PM »

Take your time. If it helps any, when I was SOIA and had to take some sort of estimates (which was never something I was strong at), I went to the GM (Badger at the time) to help me out. That might also be something to consider if it helps you any.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:42:15 PM »

Whoops, I almost forgot about this.

Thank you for the funds, Mr. Secretary. Smiley
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 02:20:57 AM »

Hey, everyone. Sorry I've been elusive. I'm at a friend's cottage for the weekend, and there was a bit of a miscommunication on WiFi, so I haven't been able to follow things as closely here as I would've liked. The Pacific Stimulus is still on track to be signed by the end of the month. I'll work on the cost estimate per the above request when I'm back on Monday.

Cheers!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »

Mr. Secretary, I want to request $1 Billion Dollars of funds on behalf of the People's Region of the Pacific, pursuant to the "Public Means Public Act". The outlines were fulfilled in the Pacific Homelessness Combattement Act. On behalf of the Government of the People's Region of the Pacific, I am free for any questions that may arise.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 03:27:36 PM »

Thank you for your request. I will take a look at it and get back to you soon, hopefully with some good news!

Also on the agenda: a statement on the Second Pacific Stimulus Act and a cost estimate for the bill put forward by Dr. Cynic (I haven't forgotten).
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2014, 12:09:53 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

STATEMENT from the Secretary of Internal Affairs
ON THE SECOND PACIFIC STIMULUS ACT

Secretary HagridOfTheDeep spoke today at Los Angeles City Hall to trumpet
the successful passage of the second Pacific stimulus.

LOS ANGELES, CA (2014.08.03)—

After months of work on the part of the Pacific Council, the Pacific Crisis Manager, the governor of the Pacific, and the Pacific Speaker, as well as myself, I am very proud to be in Los Angeles today to announce the successful passage of the second Pacific stimulus. The last few years have seen times of turmoil for the people of the Pacific: From Operation Rim Job and inactive legislatures to nearly-crippling recessions, many people have been prepared to count this strong region out. I’m happy to have done my part to help turn things around and set the Pacific in the right direction with prosperity for all.

The last stimulus put $15 billion to use on such initiatives as infrastructure development, the improvement of public transportation systems, school technology upgrades, and research grants. With our more recent stimulus, we have built on these gains to fund programs that will also help this region’s rural areas, which were perhaps neglected with the last package. The team behind this relief package also shifted the stimulus’s focus to straight-forward job creation. In so doing, I believe we’ve struck a balance that will boost employment in the Pacific while also improving its standing on social and environmental issues.

For one, a key plank of this stimulus involves setting aside funds for green industries. Here, the stimulus offers grants to small electric car companies, inter-city bus companies that purchase green vehicles, and organic farmers. These grants will create work for thousands of Pacificans in jobs that will also help stem the current global environmental crisis. Upgrades to regional buildings and the establishment of a new Pacific Solar Power Plant will further this two-pronged goal.

In terms of rural development, the second Pacific stimulus recognizes that farmers often make up the backbone of extra-urban communities. By incentivizing agritourism, these funds will help independent farmers maintain operations on their family land and encourage tourists to visit rural communities, spend money, and learn a thing or two about where their food comes from. Farmers also receive help in the form of grants for the purchase of solar panels. In all, the goal is to help family farms diversify as they face pressure from the industrialized food system—Pacific towns and other rural hubs can once again become vibrant regional centres if family farms work.

The stimulus package does more, too—and I hope as you read it you will be confident that your tax dollars are being well-spent. There is no doubt that the Pacific is struggling; these programs will improve the region and make a real difference in the lives of Pacificans. I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the stimulus. Your hard work and dedication means a lot. I look forward to seeing how the third installment shapes up. Thank you.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 12:42:08 AM »

Governor Cranberry, I do have a few questions about your request for funds. The program outlined in your bill directly specifies that only $1 billion is being set aside for implementation. It also specifies that this money will be the federal money given by the Public Means Public Act. Looking at the provisions of the Pacific law, it seems that your program will cost substantially more than $1 billion, yet there is no funding mechanism beyond the money I plan on granting your regional government.

My question is: How do we bridge these two competing realities? Is your government willing to spend additional money to fully achieve the goals set forth in your proposal? Or will you do what you can with the $1 billion and stop when you run out of money?

The program itself qualifies for funds, but I find myself in a bit of a dilemma. I don't want to start funding housing projects for the region's entire homeless population, only for construction to halt once the $1 billion is spent, leaving us with a bunch of unusable, incomplete buildings. I imagine you will be smarter with the money and only build what you know you can complete, but then, technically, stopping without achieving the goals of the bill would be illegal, wouldn't it? Certainly it would make the bill "wrong," no?

I don't want to be too picky, so I will think on this some more and get back to you, but in an ideal world, section 1 of the Pacific Homlessness Combattement Act would not exist. Or, if you did not want to have the Pacific pay out of pocket, you would relax your goal in section 2 of giving "every homeless individual" a housing unit.

Do you see what I'm getting at? I believe the IDS bill, for example, is mostly funded by the IDS.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 02:17:18 AM »

Mr. Secretary,

First of all thank you for issuing the Stimulus. It is a piece of legislation that can only help the Pacific, and will surely do so. Thank you for everything you did to bring back the Pacific on its own feet.

To come back to your feedback - yes indeed, the wording of clause one is not ideal. I intended, and I am sure my colleagues in the Council did as well, to get rid of homelessness in the Pacific once and for all. This occasion is the best moment to do so. I will offer the Council a redraft of the bill, with a funding mechanism for any costs that go beyond your grants. Consider my application withdrawn, I will soon come with a redraft.

While we are on the matter of this subject however, could you give us a cost estimation on how much the bill would cost, without clause 1. Thank you, Mr Secretary.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 02:20:18 AM »

What I can do is issue the funds with the stipulation that no more than $1 billion will be given and that the Pacific must cover the overflow. It just means your redraft will not need to be exceptionally urgent. Gives you a bit of wiggle room.

I'll issue it tomorrow. My mind isn't really functioning right now, lol.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 02:25:34 AM »

Yes, please issue the funds that way. Meanwhile we can come up with a way to cover the rest of the fundings. We have a surplus left over from the budget, so maybe we will use this? We will see...
Could we still get the cost estimation however, together with the issue?

Happens to me too often when I'm on Atlas too long. Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2014, 03:16:15 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2014, 03:25:34 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

for the NORTHEAST HOUSE THE HOMELESS ACT

According to the Department of Housing and Urban Development, there were some 136,242 homeless people living in the Northeast in 2013. Broken down by state, the numbers are as follows:

Connecticut: 4,448
Delaware: 946
Maine: 3,016
Massachusetts: 19,029
New Hampshire: 1,447
New Jersey: 12,002
New York: 77,430
Pennsylvania: 15,086
Rhode Island: 1,384
Vermont: 1,454

Since this estimate does not take into account Atlasian policies, programs, or economic conditions, I feel confident revising the total number of homeless people downward. Moreover, a sizable number of the homeless population will, for whatever reason, not make use of these anti-homelessness programs. I will therefore be operating with the assumption that some 110,000 individuals could make use of these programs in the Northeast on any given day.

Prior to the passage of the Northeast House the Homeless Act, the regional government enacted legislation to provide night shelter to the region’s entire homeless population, at an estimated cost of $6.783 billion. Assuming a staff-to-client ratio of 1:16 with employees working 14 hours a night at minimum wage (currently $14.00 in the Northeast), roughly, the region pays $491 million each year in wages to homeless shelter employees. The ratio of staff to clients is likely better than 1:16, but I’ve used this weakened figure to account for homeless people that the region may be housing in private accommodations such as hotels where no government staff is required.

The Northeast House the Homeless Act expands the operating hours of shelters, making them available 24 hours a day, per section 1(1). In terms of annual expenditure, this provision will cost the Northeast an additional $352 million per year in wages.

Section 1(1a) of the Act in question also requires the region to cover the cost of food, water, and blankets to homeless people in shelters. At an average cost of $5 per person per day, this provision will cost $200 million per year.

Section 2 of the Act is sufficiently vague that the region could frankly go about building affordable housing for the entire population of the Northeast. That being said, I will assume that this section is meant to circumvent former Assemblyman Goldwater’s amendment to the Northeast Anti-Homlessness Act, which required the region to build shelters only for homeless individuals earning a salary below the poverty line. Former Game Moderator Adam Griffin issued a cost estimate for the construction of shelters before and after this amendment. The difference amounted to $665 million. Therefore, I estimate that section 2 of the Northeast House the Homeless Act could cost up to $665 million.

Section 3 of this Act is, by far, the most expensive. It provides 110,000 homeless individuals with the choice to take up employment in shelters if they so choose. There do not seem to be any stipulations; the job is there if they want it. As such, there is nothing to suggest that the majority of these people would not take on a guaranteed job. That being said, such a high demand for this program would likely necessitate that the region only offer part-time employment. With an estimated 70,000 homeless people choosing to work part-time jobs (20 hours per week) at minimum wage, this program would cost $1.019 billion per year.

It is worth noting that any federal progress on a universal basic income could significantly change these numbers.

SUMMARY

The Department of Internal Affairs estimates that the Northeast House the Homeless Act could cost up to $2.236 billion per year.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 02:41:39 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2014, 12:10:10 AM by HagridOfTheDeep »

RE: FUNDING FOR THE HOMELESSNESS COMBATTEMENT ACT
in the PACIFIC REGION

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 02:51:19 AM »

Thank you, Mr Secretary.
I also ask you to give us a cost estimation for the bill, similar to the one you gave the Northeast Government.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 02:54:39 AM »

It's on its way, but a decently accurate estimate takes a fair amount of work, so it'll probably be at least a couple days before you see anything.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2014, 02:59:46 AM »

Okay, thank you. Please no rush because of me constantly annoying you with this bill! Wink
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »

Combattement? Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 01:31:24 PM »

I didn't name it. Tongue Je pense qu'il est français?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies