Bolton: Knowing what we know today, Iraq War was still the right decision
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:09:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bolton: Knowing what we know today, Iraq War was still the right decision
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bolton: Knowing what we know today, Iraq War was still the right decision  (Read 2874 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2014, 12:33:04 AM »

As John Bolton prepares for a possible presidential bid, his Super PAC just announced $2.3 million in fundraising for the 2nd quarter:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/211908-un-amb-john-bolton-raises-23m-for-political-groups-in-q2

Meanwhile, this is a couple of weeks old now, but he recently appeared on Fox Business Network, and called Iraq War opponents defenders of Saddam's dictatorship:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/the-independents-explodes-when-john-bolton-accuses-hosts-of-defending-a-dictatorship/

At around the 4:50 mark in that video, he says that even knowing what we know today, if he had to do it again, he'd still advocate invading Iraq in 2003.  Not sure many other GOP presidential candidates would volunteer a soundbite like that, but I guess it suggests that Bolton in a debate with Paul would be fun.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 12:54:29 AM »

Remember this was the man who may very well have been Secretary of State if Romney had been President.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:32:23 AM »

Dubya set in motion a horrible chain of events by invading Iraq in a war for profit and control of oil on a foundation of lies. It is arguable that ISIS is far worse than Saddam Hussein was. Saddam took prisoners!

If we end up at war with ISIS (which I consider practically inevitable because ISIS is the sort of totalitarian entity that never negotiates), then blame goes to Dubya.
cbannon5
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »

While I don't think that Bolton has any shot of even getting close to winning the nomination, I do think that he could do some damage to the GOP nominee by potentially forcing him/her to make uber-hawkish statements that could come back to hurt him/her in the general election. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »

Remember this was the man who may very well have been Secretary of State if Romney had been President.
Bolton wouldn't have been confirmed. Bob Zoellick (who isn't a saint either) might have gotten the nod.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »

Meanwhile, this is a couple of weeks old now, but he recently appeared on Fox Business Network, and called Iraq War opponents defenders of Saddam's dictatorship:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/the-independents-explodes-when-john-bolton-accuses-hosts-of-defending-a-dictatorship/

I guess this makes Bolton a defender of civil war, sectarian violence, and terrorism.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »

If so, then thank God for the filibuster.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 02:23:52 AM »

The surveys on the website of Bolton's Super PAC also include these:

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:17:02 AM »

Is there a national ordinance or something that says right-wingers aren't allowed to say something unless there is some kind of false dichotomy or poisoning the well involved? I know this could apply to the left too but Jesus the obvious weasel-phrasing in Bolton's twitter is just too much. It's like "do people in real life think in these terms and fall for this?" Yes, unfortunately, they do. Ugh.

Notice the quote about Iran "taking America to the cleaners". As if Bolton saying it somehow "tears it" and makes it a fact.

Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:52:48 AM »

Johnny boy, there are other things to worry about. It's kinda over now. Let it go.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 11:16:20 AM »

Deporting him to Iraq is the obvious solution.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 12:28:08 PM »

Why do members of that administration keep talking about this matter? Don't they realize that most of the country realizes that the administration's foreign policy was a disaster and that everyone wants them to climb back into their holes?
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 11:27:09 PM »

That's actually a pretty impressive amount of money. I can't imagine he'll win any states, but maybe he'll genuinely be a factor in 2016.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:54:19 PM »

That's actually a pretty impressive amount of money. I can't imagine he'll win any states, but maybe he'll genuinely be a factor in 2016.

Good. He will force the GOP to an unsustainable rightist position on foreign policy.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »

The more that Americans are reminded of the dishonesty and ruthlessness of the George W. Bush maladministration they easier it will be for them to vote against anyone with any connection to him or who tries to build bridges to it.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 03:52:50 PM »

The GOP establishment makes me ashamed to be a Republican.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 03:54:12 PM »

This is my kind of candidate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies