Kentucky state lege discusses climate change
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:36:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kentucky state lege discusses climate change
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kentucky state lege discusses climate change  (Read 1428 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2014, 02:29:25 PM »

Idiocracy at it's finest:

Sen.(and coal mine owner) Brandon Smith:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/energy/kentucky-senator-on-global-warming-there-are-no-coal-mines-on-mars-20140708

His aide said that he misspoke.  The link has actually video.

And Sen. Kevin Sinnette on how climate change didn't kill the dinosaurs

http://wkms.org/post/kentucky-lawmakers-attack-climate-change-science-discussion-carbon-regulations

Honestly, I'm not real sure what point he was going after.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:53:02 PM »

Idiocracy at it's finest:

Sen.(and coal mine owner) Brandon Smith:

http://www.nationaljournal.com/energy/kentucky-senator-on-global-warming-there-are-no-coal-mines-on-mars-20140708

His aide said that he misspoke.  The link has actually video.

did his aide say what it was he meant to say?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 04:49:50 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2014, 08:01:02 PM by Senator Alfred F. Jones »

I'm not sure what that could be a misspeaking of. How does Mars factor into climate change projections on Earth, other than the fact that we may be forced to colonize it if we go too far?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 05:07:32 PM »

Other than that he's wrong about the temp on Mars, what the hell is he (and the other guy) talking about?? Haha.

Temps on Mars are the same as here? Nope.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 05:11:34 PM »

Normally I hate these kind of clickbait-y stories where a random unimportant state lawmaker says something moronic. But this borders on outright lunacy.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 07:13:12 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2014, 08:34:37 PM by Joe Republic »

Smith (R-Mars) isn't even some random backbencher, either.  He's the GOP majority whip.

Sinnette (D-Mesozoic) is presumably the type of Democrat that Hifly has been telling us the national party needs to be more like.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 08:32:19 PM »

Sinnette (D-Mesozoic) is presumably the type of Democrat that Hifly has been telling us the national party needs to be more like, presumably.

The Democratic Party should expel any and all elected officials who deny the validity of evolution or global warming.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »

Sinnette (D-Mesozoic) is presumably the type of Democrat that Hifly has been telling us the national party needs to be more like, presumably.

The Democratic Party should expel any and all elected officials who deny the validity of evolution or global warming.
You want to hold the Democratic Party to a higher standard than countless universities and research centers?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »

You want to hold the Democratic Party to a higher standard than countless universities and research centers?

It's a list of retired teachers and teachers not teaching climatology, for thr most part.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 11:30:20 PM »

I count 15 American universities on that list (and that includes low-prestige ones like Alaska-Fairbanks and Western Washington), so it's not exactly "countless" or even close to it. And yes.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »

Smith (R-Mars) isn't even some random backbencher, either.  He's the GOP majority whip.

Sinnette (D-Mesozoic) is presumably the type of Democrat that Hifly has been telling us the national party needs to be more like.

Democrats like Sinnette are needed to preserve the Democratic majority in the State House and sustain the reputation of the State Democratic Party.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 09:19:37 AM »

How low is your opinion of the average Kentucky voter? You claim to do Biology, so obviously you realise the man is speaking crap. Do you just think that working class people are stupid and swallow up anything?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »

How low is your opinion of the average Kentucky voter? You claim to do Biology, so obviously you realise the man is speaking crap. Do you just think that working class people are stupid and swallow up anything?

On climate science not everyone is informed, and even I am not completely and it doesn't interest me whatsoever. If Democrats run a pro-choice, pro-gay, pro-Obama's stance on Energy candidate in this district then I don't need to emphasise what the consequences will be.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 11:17:44 AM »

On climate science not everyone is informed, and even I am not completely and it doesn't interest me whatsoever.

It doesn't interest me that much from an academic standpoint, but I'm at least smart enough to know Mars is colder than Earth. I've known it since grade school.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 12:50:51 PM »

On climate science not everyone is informed, and even I am not completely and it doesn't interest me whatsoever.

It doesn't interest me that much from an academic standpoint, but I'm at least smart enough to know Mars is colder than Earth. I've known it since grade school.

The Mars guy is a Republican, through.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 12:26:03 PM »

And Sen. Kevin Sinnette on how climate change didn't kill the dinosaurs

http://wkms.org/post/kentucky-lawmakers-attack-climate-change-science-discussion-carbon-regulations

Honestly, I'm not real sure what point he was going after.

This is such a load of crap. We know exactly why the dinosaurs died: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W23LKD9Z1hw&feature=kp
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 02:24:44 PM »

Democrats like Sinnette are needed to preserve the Democratic majority in the State House and sustain the reputation of the State Democratic Party.

If you take it so far as to not care in the slightest what these Democrats stand for in an attempt to maintain a majority...what purpose does that majority serve?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »

If incoherent rambling and not knowing why the dinosaurs died out is a requirement for sustaining the reputation of the KY Dems, then the KY Dems must be in a pretty sad state of affairs.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 05:20:38 PM »

On climate science not everyone is informed, and even I am not completely and it doesn't interest me whatsoever. If Democrats run a pro-choice, pro-gay, pro-Obama's stance on Energy candidate in this district then I don't need to emphasise what the consequences will be.

So being proudly uninformed about scientific facts is an Oxford thing?  Gotcha.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 06:16:44 PM »

So being proudly uninformed about scientific facts is an Oxford thing?  Gotcha.

Why not. Everyone has different academic interests. Are you doing a STEM major?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »

So being proudly uninformed about scientific facts is an Oxford thing?  Gotcha.

Why not. Everyone has different academic interests. Are you doing a STEM major?

No, but I'd still like to be as informed as possible about science, math, etc.  My issue is more with what came across as, and I may be mistaken, you being kinda content with not being informed about it.  For my part, I like to try to better understand things that I am not as knowledgable about rather than just ignoring them Tongue
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »

Um, there's not having an academic interest in climate science, and then there's believing Earth is the same temperature as Mars, and not knowing why the dinosaurs died.

I don't have much of an interest in sports, but I know that the Super Bowl isn't part of some kind of basketball tournament.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies