MW: Midwest Immigration and Integration Act (As Amended)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:11:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MW: Midwest Immigration and Integration Act (As Amended)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: MW: Midwest Immigration and Integration Act (As Amended)  (Read 6402 times)
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:30:37 PM »
« edited: July 14, 2014, 06:58:13 PM by MW Speaker LeBron FitzGerald »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Speaker LeBron FitzGerald on VP Windjammer's behalf.

This bill will stay on the floor until 7:30 pm EST July 27th (2 weeks). The bill as amended includes a money figure configuration in Part 3, Section 2. I'll give my thoughts in a little awhile.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 07:52:33 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2014, 06:09:05 AM by MW Speaker LeBron FitzGerald »

Midwest Immigration and Integration Act

Preamble
1)Considering that Immigration and Integration don't seem to have been federally and locally an important issue, it's the Althing's duty to act on these issues.
2)Immigrants aren't a thread to the Midwest, but a necessity. We, Midwesterners, must foster the integration of Immigrants and fight against racism everywhere in the Midwest.
3)All Midwest laws concerning Immigration are hereby repealed.

Part 1: Legal Immigration
Section 1: Language
   1)The official language of the Midwest region is English. All Midwest public documents shall be written in English.
2)However, considering the importance of Hispanic minorities, a translation into Spanish  of all Midwest public documents shall be available.
3)A budget of $200,000,000 will be allocated to help Minorities to learn English.

Section 2  Legal Immigrants without American Nationality
1) Legal Immigrants, who live in the Midwest for at least one year and are at least 18 years of age , shall have the opportunity to vote in local and regional elections
2)Considering that the current former Midwest Governor is foreign-born, legal immigrants, who live in the Midwest for at least one year and are at least 18 years of age, shall have the opportunity to be eligible for local and regional offices.
3)Legal immigrants shall enroll their children in private or public schools.

Section 3:Protect our legal immigrants
1)Not being an American citizen shall not constitute grounds for termination of employment.
2)No segregation based along nationality shall be allowed in the Midwest.
3)Except the right to vote in federal elections, Legal immigrants shall have the same rights as Midwesterners.

Part 2: Illegal Immigration
Section 1 : Anti Vichy
1)The Midwest Police shall not be able to take into account anonymous reports for arresting illegal immigrants.
2)The Midwest Police shall not to be able to determine the immigration status of anyone they stop or arrest if there is reason to suspect that the individual might be an illegal immigrant.
3)Immigrants shall not be arrested close to educational institutions.

Section 2: Illegal immigrants rights
1)Illegal immigrants shall be able to get a legal job. When they get a legal job, illegal immigrants and their family shall not be arrested anymore.
2)Illegal immigrants shall have access to social security, they shall have access to hospitals without the risk of being deported.  Illegal immigrants shall be able to benefit from education bursaries.
3)Illegal immigrants shall be able to make complaints without the risk of being arrested. Illegal immigrants are first of all humans.

Section 3: Atlasia
1)The Midwest Government strongly encourages Atlasia to make path to citizenship and nationality easier.
2)The Midwest Government strongly encourages Atlasia to amnesty illegal immigrants.
3)The Midwest Government strongly encourages Atlasia not to spend too much money in order to secure Atlasian borders.  

Part 3: Fight against Racism, inegalities,..
Section 1: Reducing geographical disparities
1)Every Midwest city over 3.500 inhabitants shall have at least 10% subsidised housing in total property for rent.
2)Subsidized housing is government supported funding or financial assistance for its citizens to help provide or afford housing. Forms of subsidies include direct mortgage interest deductions, housing subsidies, non-profit housing, public housing, rent supplements and some forms of co-operative and private sector housing,
3)A budget of $2,000,000,000 shall be allocated to help cities for this purpose.

Section 2: Positive discrimination
1)5% of all Midwest Public universities shall be reserved for non-white students.
2)A budget of $2,000,000,000 shall be allocated to help Midwest schools suffering from a poor academic performance.
3) A budget of $500,000,000 shall be allocated to help disabled students through tutoring, counseling, language classes and other academic services.

Section 3: Fight against racism, antisemitism,...
1)All dissemination of ideas based on racial superiority or hatred, incitement to racial discrimination, as well as all acts of violence or incitement to such acts against any race, any religion, or group of persons of another colour and of another religion, shall be forbitdden in the Midwest.  Any Violation is subject to a $45,000 fine.
2)Every Midwest school shall at least  promote tolerance 6 hours per year for every student.
3)A budget of $10,000,000 shall be allocated to promote tolerance everywhere in the Midwest.

Conclusion: Implementation
1)Part 1, Part 3 Section 2 shall come into effect January 1, 2015.
2)Part 2, Part 3 Section 3 shall come into effect upon the passage of this legislation.
3)Part 3, Section 1 shall come into effect January 1,2015.

Okay, this bill is awesome and it easily passed the first time since we desperately needed to do something with the immigration issue. It only has a few, minor slip-ups imo, but I'm still going to offer this redraft. I attached a few pieces of wording and crossed out a few phrases/sentences that I fear could be unconstitutional.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:50:21 AM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 07:43:39 AM »

Well guys,
Don't forget to officially sponsor my bills for me, since I'm not Governor.

Well, I had just forgotten three 0 Tongue.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »

I'll be introducing some amendments when I have some more time, but my main concern is I do not like making English the official language of the Midwest. I cannot vote for this bill if that remains in the bill.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »

I'll be introducing some amendments when I have some more time, but my main concern is I do not like making English the official language of the Midwest. I cannot vote for this bill if that remains in the bill.
Why?
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »

Well, I currently support the change brought forth on the bill. Although there are still some alterations that the bill needs. I'll propose some amendments once Gass proposes his.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 09:54:22 AM »

Why?

I feel like its unnecessary and xenophobic. I am not a fan of the English first/only movement. I would be in favor of changing the text to making English the preferred language, but you are still able to get governmental documents and election ballots in your first language.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 04:51:02 PM »

Though I no longer belong in this chamber, I have to agree with Gass on English being the official language.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »

Why?

I feel like its unnecessary and xenophobic. I am not a fan of the English first/only movement. I would be in favor of changing the text to making English the preferred language, but you are still able to get governmental documents and election ballots in your first language.
What if we did something like Switzerland does and recognize one language as the primary use (English), and also recognize some other main languages (Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, Russian) as secondary?

However, regarding public documents, we can only accommodate so many language barriers. There can be someone in the region whose primary language is Ukrainian, but we can't provide ballots and documents in every language known to man; only those that merit such a distinction and are spoken by a vast amount of people.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 10:30:48 AM »

Why?

What if we did something like Switzerland does and recognize one language as the primary use (English), and also recognize some other main languages (Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Chinese, Russian) as secondary?

However, regarding public documents, we can only accommodate so many language barriers. There can be someone in the region whose primary language is Ukrainian, but we can't provide ballots and documents in every language known to man; only those that merit such a distinction and are spoken by a vast amount of people.

It would still violate Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which prohibits any state or local government from imposing any voting law that results in discrimination against racial or language minorities.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 06:44:29 PM »

Why?

It would still violate Section 2 of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which prohibits any state or local government from imposing any voting law that results in discrimination against racial or language minorities.
The revised bill still offers free language classes though to any person who needs help with one of the languages the documents or ballots are in. There's close to 7,000 different languages in the world and there's just no way we can serve the language barriers of every single one of them.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »

This bill is terrible, so I will have amendments for this soon. Be warned that I will not back down in the fight for moedertaalonderrig and the rights of ons Afrikaanse taal.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 11:14:27 AM »

Well?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 08:43:42 PM »

This bill is terrible, so I will have amendments for this soon. Be warned that I will not back down in the fight for moedertaalonderrig and the rights of ons Afrikaanse taal.

I look forward to seeing your amendments.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2014, 01:37:57 PM »

I look forward to seeing your amendments.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »

Strike everything, replace it with this

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2014, 02:23:00 PM »

I don't support the Hashemite amendment. It is a very reversal of the original bill.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 03:23:41 AM »

After the voting on the Hashemite amendment (this is the rule, or not?), I will propose an amendment to the original bill. Otherwise, I can immediately present my amendment?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »

I like Hashemite's amendment a lot more than the original bill, but I'd like to know his reasoning behind adding all the detailed information on Afrikaners.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 02:28:52 PM »

My amendment would be:

On the 2) and 3) of the Part 2, Section 3 , I'm very undecided about the elimination of these, but for the moment I eliminated these parts.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 08:56:40 PM »

Congratulations, you made this terrible bill even worse.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 04:40:38 AM »

Congratulations, you made this terrible bill even worse.

Points of view
However, I'm available to change my intention on the 2) and 3) of Part 2, Section 3.

Mr. Archduke. What do we now?
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 07:34:15 AM »
« Edited: August 14, 2014, 07:36:10 AM by MW Speaker LeBron FitzGerald »

Yeah, I would personally like to keep Part II, Section 3 in, but the amended version is still friendly even without it.

As for your amendment Hash, umm....well, it kind of needs to be all in English? I had to look up some of those words to tell what they even mean. Your bill recognizes Afrikaans (which the "volkseenheid" and other words is the language of), as an official language, but that doesn't matter when these bills are public documents and your amended bill only recognizes English and Spanish for the public document translations.

That would be an unconstitutional bill right there, so I can't call a vote on your amendment, Hashemite. Plus, as Cris said, the bill is a huge takeaway from the original bill and it would be a disservice to revise it to the extent you want it revised.

With that said, I call a 48-hour vote on Cris's amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 07:56:47 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies