Does "red avatar privilege" still exist in modern society?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:21:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Does "red avatar privilege" still exist in modern society?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Does "red avatar privilege" still exist in modern society?  (Read 1859 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:22:06 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_avatar_privilege
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 09:01:59 PM »

Yes but of a particular kind. You don't see this sort of thing from Miles Tongue
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:37:04 PM »

Postmodernism is the worst thing to happen to the left.

(sorry, just had to put in my two cents on the idea of privilege)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »

Of course.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:14:44 PM »

Big time.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 05:24:41 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2014, 05:29:55 AM by Scottish Robb Stark »

Thanks for your invaluable contribution.

Anyway no, there is no red avatar privilege. There is a not-being-an-idiot privilege though, so if this characteristic happens to be correlated with left-wing political views (not that the correlation is that smooth - see Cory, Snowstalker and many others), I can see why blue avatars would think they are discriminated against.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 05:43:41 AM »

Red avatarrey repent!
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 10:10:41 AM »

Memphis is the classic example of this.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 10:59:03 AM »

Please elaborate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »

Most progressives on here dislike Memphis (at least, I do Tongue).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »

While it feels good to say platitudes like "We've made great strides in this area" and all the rest, ultimately, all one needs to do is look around them. The fact that one of the few blue moderators in today's world was recently thrown out of his job should be evidence enough that the reds are very uncomfortable giving blues basic rights or positions of power.
GaussLaw
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 01:53:28 PM »

There is a bias toward liberal Protestantism or atheism/agnosticism, social liberalism, and some economic liberalism.  However, a red avatar and a blue avatar with similar views would be treated similarly.  

For example, people like Dixiecrat did not have Red Avatar privilege.  
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 02:49:25 PM »

Anyway no, there is no red avatar privilege. There is a not-being-an-idiot privilege though, so if this characteristic happens to be correlated with left-wing political views (not that the correlation is that smooth - see Cory, Snowstalker and many others), I can see why blue avatars would think they are discriminated against.
See, even though I admit that some of our most intelligent posters (Mechaman, Hash, Nathan, you, etc) are on the left, the "not-being-an-idiot" line is major red avatar privilege. Some of our best posters are not only intelligent Republicans, but in Muon's case (and hopefully Ink's case as well), they are elected officials, which is more than anyone else here can claim.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »

See, even though I admit that some of our most intelligent posters (Mechaman, Hash, Nathan, you, etc) are on the left, the "not-being-an-idiot" line is major red avatar privilege. Some of our best posters are not only intelligent Republicans, but in Muon's case (and hopefully Ink's case as well), they are elected officials, which is more than anyone else here can claim.

Indeed, Muon is very well regarded and certainly doesn't suffer from any form of "discrimination". Thanks for proving my point.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 04:26:43 PM »

This is even a question...?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 04:49:53 PM »

Most progressives on here dislike Memphis (at least, I do Tongue).

Yeah I see plenty of his posts get deluged. As for Nix's post I would say Phil as an example of someone who would probably be more well liked if he was a Democrat.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »

Absolutely.  Democrats are much more popular, respected, and forgiven for mistakes than Republican, simply by nature of being from the "party of the working man."
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 04:56:52 PM »

Absolutely.  Democrats are much more popular, respected, and forgiven for mistakes than Republican, simply by nature of being from the "party of the working man."
Democrats are not the "part of the working man." We are the party of everyone who opposes conservative bigotry, be they women, minorities, gay, disabled, etc.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »

Democrats are not the "part of the working man."
Very true
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 05:08:39 PM »

Democrats are not the "part of the working man." We are the party of everyone who opposes conservative bigotry, be they women, minorities, gay, disabled, etc.

See, I prefer to oppose bigotry from all sources, not just the bigotry of my political opponents.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 06:01:36 PM »

See, I prefer to oppose bigotry from all sources, not just the bigotry of my political opponents.
The right has a near monopoly on bigotry.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2014, 08:45:39 AM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Absolutely.  Democrats are much more popular, respected, and forgiven for mistakes than Republican, simply by nature of being from the "party of the working man."
I oppose bigotry in all forms, liberal or conservative.

Absolutely.  Democrats are much more popular, respected, and forgiven for mistakes than Republican, simply by nature of being from the "party of the working man."

Then what about the liberals who use words like "b*tch" and "c*nt" to describe conservative women?  What about the liberals who use terms like "Uncle Tom," "Oreo," "Sambo," and "house nig**r" to refer to black conservatives?  What about David Letterman when he said Sarah Palin looked like a "slutty flight attendant"?  What about Harry Reid when he said that President Obama was "light-skinned" and not having a "Negro dialect" unless he wanted?  What about Joe Biden saying that you can't go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts in Delaware without an Indian accent?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 10:06:51 AM »

I oppose bigotry in all forms, liberal or conservative.

Then what about the liberals who use words like "b*tch" and "c*nt" to describe conservative women?  What about the liberals who use terms like "Uncle Tom," "Oreo," "Sambo," and "house nig**r" to refer to black conservatives?  What about David Letterman when he said Sarah Palin looked like a "slutty flight attendant"?  What about Harry Reid when he said that President Obama was "light-skinned" and not having a "Negro dialect" unless he wanted?  What about Joe Biden saying that you can't go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts in Delaware without an Indian accent?

I admit, there are many "liberal" hypocrites out there.

Not sure if this is Good Post Gallery material, but seriously congrats on making a pretty good post.

Of course, expect one of the hacks to come up with some BS about how those don't count.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2014, 12:41:35 PM by realisticidealist »

There are other forms of liberal/leftist bigotry such as much of third wave feminism, generalized anti-religious sentiment, and generalized attacks against businesses and their members, not to mention the frequent view that anyone who "should" support their cause for demographic reasons but doesn't is a mindless, brainwashed, uneducated, self-hating traitor.

I've also found that a lot of "enlightened" and "educated" liberals tend to be more supportive of eugenics than on average.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »

There are other forms of liberal/leftist bigotry such as much of third wave feminism, generalized anti-religious sentiment, and generalized attacks against businesses and their members, not to mention the frequent view that anyone who "should" support their cause for demographic reasons but doesn't is a mindless, brainwashed, uneducated, self-hating traitor.

I've also found that a lot of "enlightened" and "educated" liberals tend to be more supportive of eugenics than on average.

OK, even if I'd actually buy everything else this is absolute bullsh*t.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies