Opinion of Planned Parenthood
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:38:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Planned Parenthood
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
FO

HO

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Opinion of Planned Parenthood  (Read 4907 times)
AggregateDemand
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
« edited: July 14, 2014, 09:56:07 PM by AggregateDemand »

What about all the abortions that Planned Parenthood prevents though?  Providing regular birth control and emergency contraception prevents many abortions from ever happening in the first place.

Planned Parenthood spares society the indignity of abortion because liberals are perfectly content to let the lower-classes languish in perpetual unemployment.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »

I had a favorable view of Planned Parenthood even when I was still a right-winger: in an ideal world, Planned Parenthood wouldn't exist, since their services, including pregnancy termination, would be performed in any outpatient clinic. But this world isn't ideal, and PP has its place in it, as much as silly people may pretend otherwise. It is telling, though, that few non-profits have "stepped-up" to provide the range of reproductive and general health services as PP without abortion clouding the issue.

As for the results of the poll, it's not surprising that an organization concerned above all else with the reproductive concerns of mostly poor young women will not arouse much sympathy on a mostly upper class, virtually all-male forum.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 10:29:52 PM »

It says a lot about the demographics here that there is an overall HO rating.

Eh, this is a very left-libertarian forum.

There's also a fair number of misogynists here and people who aren't necessarily concerned with things that don't affect them.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 10:35:27 PM »

It's a freedom organization. They provide affordable mammograms to women, they help parents make their decisions about family, and they are one of the few reputable places that allow women to choose if they want a child or not.

It's pretty sad when so many people here think it's a terrible place.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 05:38:52 AM »

Yup, it definitely shows that this forum is 99.95% male.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2014, 06:51:43 AM »

Massive FO
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2014, 07:01:23 AM »

It says a lot about the demographics here that there is an overall HO rating.

Eh, this is a very left-libertarian forum.

There's also a fair number of misogynists here and people who aren't necessarily concerned with things that don't affect them.

As a misogynist who voted FF, I'm insulted by your comparison.
How would it not affect men if women are forced to carry to term?  You think that many women are just going to forget that the father exists or not expect him to at least provide financial assistance?
That's why I love Planned Parenthood.  They do it for me.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2014, 07:26:02 AM »

FO.

In this world abortions are a necessary evil.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2014, 08:06:38 AM »

Pretty sure PP doesn't do that. Besides, isn't abortion only a very small section of their services?

What kind of argument is that?

To the pro lifer, killing babies is one of their services. It hardly matters what else they do.

What a cute baby!
A life is still a life.  The fact remains that once an egg is fertilized, it is considered a life.  Cells are considered living as well. 
Think about it logically: if a baby is alive when it's born, then how is it not alive before then?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:49 AM »

I think I am becoming a lot more pro life than I once was, though I have never liked taxpayer funding for abortion, so HO.  Also, abortion is a huge part of PP.  Why else would their political activism be so focused on that issue?

There is no Federal funding for abortion as per the Hyde Amendment.  Whatever federal funding Planned Parenthood gets is not for abortions. 
True, but where is that federal funding being used? Is it being used to keep clinics open and staff on the payrolls so the organization can take privately donated money that would otherwise be spent on administrative costs and use it to fund, among other things, abortion? I'd love to see a graph detailing their exact spending.

What about all the abortions that Planned Parenthood prevents though?  Providing regular birth control and emergency contraception prevents many abortions from ever happening in the first place.
Walgreens also sells contraception and doesn't supply abortions, so I don't quite see how PP can have a net positive because of that.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »

I think I am becoming a lot more pro life than I once was, though I have never liked taxpayer funding for abortion, so HO.  Also, abortion is a huge part of PP.  Why else would their political activism be so focused on that issue?

There is no Federal funding for abortion as per the Hyde Amendment.  Whatever federal funding Planned Parenthood gets is not for abortions. 
True, but where is that federal funding being used? Is it being used to keep clinics open and staff on the payrolls so the organization can take privately donated money that would otherwise be spent on administrative costs and use it to fund, among other things, abortion? I'd love to see a graph detailing their exact spending.

What about all the abortions that Planned Parenthood prevents though?  Providing regular birth control and emergency contraception prevents many abortions from ever happening in the first place.
Walgreens also sells contraception and doesn't supply abortions, so I don't quite see how PP can have a net positive because of that.

You need a prescription for birth control. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2014, 10:12:25 AM »

Yes, but can you still not get it at Walgreens?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2014, 10:14:53 AM »

Maybe if the Walgreens has a Planned Parenthood or a doctor's office inside of it.  Can you at least agree that counselling people about birth control, providing women's health services and STD screening/education are useful services? 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2014, 10:24:03 AM »

Maybe if the Walgreens has a Planned Parenthood or a doctor's office inside of it.  Can you at least agree that counselling people about birth control, providing women's health services and STD screening/education are useful services? 
Of course, and Planned Parenthood isn't the only organization that provides them. They do, however, have the biggest lobbying ability of these organizations and thus receive a good deal of public funding.

And a simple google search will confirm that you can get most forms of birth control pills from Walgreens with a prescription.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »

Of course, and Planned Parenthood isn't the only organization that provides them. They do, however, have the biggest lobbying ability of these organizations and thus receive a good deal of public funding.

And a simple google search will confirm that you can get most forms of birth control pills from Walgreens with a prescription.

I can't get most forms of birth control because I'm not a lady and thus no doctor would write me a prescription.  Right?  The point is that women are getting education, counselling and prescriptions for birth control from Planned Parenthood.  The prescription is a necessary step.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 11:01:03 AM »

I can't get most forms of birth control because I'm not a lady and thus no doctor would write me a prescription.  Right?  The point is that women are getting education, counselling and prescriptions for birth control from Planned Parenthood.  The prescription is a necessary step.
Planned Parenthood isn't the only place that will give such advice, though. A doctor could give these prescriptions. Several women's organizations provide advice and education on the use of contraception.

Planned Parenthood also gives free breast cancer screenings. They do a lot of good things, I won't deny that. But as long as they also perform abortions, they shouldn't be receiving federal funding. Even if that money is not spent on abortion, it still indirectly aids the organization to perform them.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »

FO.

All abortions should be free of charge and available on demand, at any stage of pregnancy.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »

All abortions should be free of charge and available on demand, at any stage of pregnancy.

I bet that this position is incredibly popular in Kentucky.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »

TNF isn't running for any office in Kentucky to my knowledge.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 11:16:01 AM »

Pretty sure PP doesn't do that. Besides, isn't abortion only a very small section of their services?

To the pro lifer, killing babies is one of their services. It hardly matters what else they do.

What a cute baby!
A life is still a life.  The fact remains that once an egg is fertilized, it is considered a life.  Cells are considered living as well. 
Think about it logically: if a baby is alive when it's born, then how is it not alive before then?

A lot of people would disagree with you here. Cells are living, true, but that doesn't make it a human being. Now this is turning into a debate over "when a human life begins".

Back to the OP: Freedom Organization. Yeah, the person who founded it way back when had some sick, twisted beliefs, but that is entirely irrelevant to how PP helps people in the year 2014.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2014, 11:16:21 AM »

Planned Parenthood also gives free breast cancer screenings. They do a lot of good things, I won't deny that. But as long as they also perform abortions, they shouldn't be receiving federal funding. Even if that money is not spent on abortion, it still indirectly aids the organization to perform them.

All I've got to say is that you could see how the contraception side of their mission cuts down on the abortions because it cuts down on unintended pregnancy.  I also don't think this idea of approving everything your money indirectly supports is really something you could consistently maintain.  If you're a part of the economy, you're indirectly involved with everything, whether you like it or not.  

FO.

That's taking things way too far.  I'm pro-choice, but abortion post-viability unless it's about the life of the Mother, is tantamount to murder.  I hope no doctor would ever agree to such an abortion.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2014, 11:18:14 AM »

I'm worried, you seem genuinely obsessed with Kentucky.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 11:38:58 AM »

Freedom Organisation (not a misogynist or weird religious crank). I was originally baffled by the narrow poll results but then I remembered that we have a lot of red avatars who hate women a little bit.

e: TNF is correct as usual on these issues -

FO.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2014, 12:32:54 PM »

FO.

That's taking things way too far.  I'm pro-choice, but abortion post-viability unless it's about the life of the Mother, is tantamount to murder.  I hope no doctor would ever agree to such an abortion.

A woman's right to choose an abortion is more important than your right to deny her that choice on the basis of the "viability" of the fetus outside the womb. "Viability" is an entirely subjective measure as is. Assuming that a fetus is "viable," outside the womb also assumes that there is someone present to take care of it post-birth, because, let's not kid ourselves (no pun intended) - no one is actually "viable" on their own post-birth for quite some time. This idea that we must deny women the right to an abortion on the basis of the "viability" is part of this weird, generalized cult of life that assumes that all life is equally worth preserving and all life is equally worthwhile. It is not. In this case, the life of the living, breathing, viable woman carrying the nonviable fetus is far more important and should be given far more consideration.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2014, 12:36:42 PM »

What a cute baby!

A lot of people would disagree with you here. Cells are living, true, but that doesn't make it a human being. Now this is turning into a debate over "when a human life begins".

Back to the OP: Freedom Organization. Yeah, the person who founded it way back when had some sick, twisted beliefs, but that is entirely irrelevant to how PP helps people in the year 2014.

You arn't doing a STEM subject at University are you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies