Arab-Americans Tell Census, 'We're Not White'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:01:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Arab-Americans Tell Census, 'We're Not White'
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Arab-Americans Tell Census, 'We're Not White'  (Read 5052 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »

how come no one wants to be white any more?

Everyone in the intelligensia want to be a victim today (even White conservatives), the easiest way is to pretend you part of some poor persecuted minority and if you can't do that, pretend the group you belong to are one. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »

Everyone in the intelligensia want to be a victim today (even White conservatives), the easiest way is to pretend you part of some poor persecuted minority and if you can't do that, pretend the group you belong to are one. 

I knew a student a year ahead of me in law school. He was an archconservative who claimed to be a "libertarian". He put up a plaque of his haplogroup to show that he was "oppressed" as a joke. The problem with the joke is that his haplogroup was indicative of the Vikings. Probably the one group that can't say there were oppressed.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2014, 04:14:42 PM »

I do have some white guilt over the privilege I enjoy as a white American, but I wouldn't trade my ethnicity away. It's hard enough living as a gay dude. I can't even imagine how hard it'd be to cope as a gay dude of color, or even a gay lady of color.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »

I knew a student a year ahead of me in law school. He was an archconservative who claimed to be a "libertarian". He put up a plaque of his haplogroup to show that he was "oppressed" as a joke. The problem with the joke is that his haplogroup was indicative of the Vikings. Probably the one group that can't say there were oppressed.

True, though to be fair, they swore off the raping, pillaging and plundering a long time before the major powers of Europe and Asia did. While imperialism was in full swing in Darkest Africa and the British, French, Belgians and Portuguese were trying to wring as much rubber, copper and gold out of the place as they could, the Scandinavians were...I'm not really sure what they were doing. Probably making reindeer meatballs and putting furniture together.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2014, 09:17:11 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2014, 09:19:56 PM by CTRattlesnake »

True, though to be fair, they swore off the raping, pillaging and plundering a long time before the major powers of Europe and Asia did. While imperialism was in full swing in Darkest Africa and the British, French, Belgians and Portuguese were trying to wring as much rubber, copper and gold out of the place as they could, the Scandinavians were...I'm not really sure what they were doing. Probably making reindeer meatballs and putting furniture together.

Unless you play Europa Unviersalis IV....in which case, the Swedish game designers definitely did not make Scandinavia overpowered.

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:35 PM »

Yeah, if I had the chance to be white, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2014, 06:54:07 AM »

I do have some white guilt over the privilege I enjoy as a white American, but I wouldn't trade my ethnicity away. It's hard enough living as a gay dude. I can't even imagine how hard it'd be to cope as a gay dude of color, or even a gay lady of color.

Here's the point, for some groups Jews and most Arab-Americans, who if we say they're not White, do look White. They can still enjoy all the privileges of Whiteness, as they're purely based on social norms.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2014, 07:00:19 AM »

Well it depend on period, if we talk about the early colonial era, the Swedish was doing their best to depopulate Germany, Poland and Denmark (around 1/3 of the population lost in each country) after they had helped the Poles depopulate Russia (40% population loss), but that one we can mostly blame on Poland, while Denmark was experimenting in creating efficient triangle trade.

If we go up the 19th century colonial expansion, we was mostly too busy industrialise, except for somwe Danish-German Wars.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2014, 11:37:09 AM »

Well it depend on period, if we talk about the early colonial era, the Swedish was doing their best to depopulate Germany, Poland and Denmark (around 1/3 of the population lost in each country) after they had helped the Poles depopulate Russia (40% population loss), but that one we can mostly blame on Poland, while Denmark was experimenting in creating efficient triangle trade.

If we go up the 19th century colonial expansion, we was mostly too busy industrialise, except for somwe Danish-German Wars.

The point was is that they were never oppressed but maybe some of their descendants in Eastern Europe were enslaved by Arabs, Turks and Monguls.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2014, 06:26:45 PM »

Here's the point, for some groups Jews and most Arab-Americans, who if we say they're not White, do look White. They can still enjoy all the privileges of Whiteness, as they're purely based on social norms.

In the 1960s, my uncle, who was blonde-haired, blue-eyed and of 100% Arab Christian background, was living in East Texas and was asked by a neighbor to join the local KKK chapter. (He politely declined the offer.)
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »

How do you guys think Armenians would be classified?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2014, 11:34:31 PM »

You mean Caucasians? Obviously white.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2014, 05:12:58 PM »

It's interesting because I'm half-Armenian and most white people don't consider me white. I still check it off on my Census form but I just find the whole thing quite odd.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2014, 07:16:53 AM »

We're still using "white?"  I thought using caucasian was more precise (?)
It doesnt seem very precise to me.  The Caucasus are a mountain range, and few people I know actually hail from that region.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »

We're still using "white?"  I thought using caucasian was more precise (?)
It doesnt seem very precise to me.  The Caucasus are a mountain range, and few people I know actually hail from that region.

It's not "more precise"; what it is is scientific racism.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2014, 12:30:43 PM »

As obnoxious as 'wogs begin at Calais' is as an attitude, it's way less creepy than the pseudo-scientific bullsh!t that still has something of a sway in U.S.A. discourse.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies