1920 Primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:11:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1920 Primaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: You got what you wanted, Unionists. You win. Now it's time to determine who gets the credit for the Depression!
Union Party: President Elihu Root of New York

Union Party: Governor Calvin Coolidge of Massachusetts

Union Party: Senator Warren G. Harding of Ohio

Union Party: General Leonard Wood of New Hampshire

Union Party: Mr. Nicholas Murray Butler of New York

Farmer-Labor Party: Fmr. President Eugene V. Debs of Indiana

Farmer-Labor Party: Representative A. Mitchell Palmer of Pennsylvania

Farmer-Labor Party: Senator Thomas R. Marshall of Indiana

Farmer-Labor Party: Senator Robert Owen of Oklahoma

Farmer-Labor Party: Senator James Cox of Ohio

Farmer-Labor Party: Fmr. Governor Woodrow Wilson of New Jersey

Farmer-Labor Party: Merger

Bull-Moose Party:  Senate Minority Leader Robert M. La Follette of Wisconsin

Bull-Moose Party: Senator Hiram Johnson of California

Bull-Moose Party: Governor Frank Orren Lowden of Illinois

Bull-Moose Party: Governor William Sproul of Pennsylvania

Bull-Moose Party: Senator George Norris of Nebraska

Bull-Moose Party: Governor Alfred E. Smith of New York

Bull-Moose Party: Merger

Populist Party: Senator Carter Glass of Virginia

Populist Party: Senator James Reed of Missouri

Populist Party: Senator Augustus Stanley of Kentucky

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: 1920 Primaries  (Read 1862 times)
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:57:08 PM »
« edited: July 14, 2014, 08:53:53 PM by Senator Alfred F. Jones »

The election of 1916 would go down in history as arguably the greatest upset in American political history. While the vast majority of political observers predicted an easy win for the instigator (though it was really more the South’s fault if you want to get into that debate), fighter, and assured winner of the Second Civil War, President Underwood would go down in a landslide defeat to Elihu Root, a man who could be at best described as “inoffensive”. Some modern historians have stated that there was no real way for Underwood to win without the South (ironically), as the destruction of the KKK and, by extension, much of the Populist Party returned the region to its FLP roots, but the main factor in Root’s shocking victory was his relentless campaign on a “return to normalcy” after the turmoil of the past decade (or even two decades if you want to go that far). The voters were captivated by Root’s skill at negotiating arbitration treaties and his promises that there wouldn’t be “any crazy sh**t if I’m the President, goddammit!”, and he sailed past the other three parties like it was a World Cup semifinal and he was Germany, removing Underwood from office in much the same way Clement Attlee would do to Winston Churchill many years later.

BUT THEN THERE WAS TOTALLY CRAZY sh**t BECAUSE PRESIDENT ROOT DECIDED TO GO TO WAR AGAINST GERMANY AND THEN THE US WAS IN WORLD WAR I AND WE WON AND THAT'S GOOD AND THEN WE TRIED TO PASS SOME TREATY THING AND HENRY CABOT LODGE WAS ALL LIKE "DUDE THAT'S GOING WAY TOO FAR" AND THEN SECRETARY OF WAR TEDDY ROOSEVELT WAS LIKE " YOU HENRY CABOT LODGE I NEVER LIKED YOU" BUT THEN ROOSEVELT DIED SO HENRY CABOT LODGE WAS LIKE "BITCH I OWN THIS TREATY" AND THEN THE SENATE PASSED THE TREATY OF VERSAILLES WITH THE LODGE RESERVATIONS AND NOTHING BAD EVER HAPPENED IN GERMANY AGAIN.

Also Reconstruction happened, but nothing really got off the ground because Root was like "let's leave Virginia and Louisiana and all those states that didn't secede alone" and a rather bitter Underwood was like " you Elihu we should crush the Jim Crow everywhere" and that was a bit of a tussle and the Reed Brigade Hive Mind was all like "what do we do we're so confused". Root's economic issues have been almost entirely stalled by the Farmer-Labor-Bull-Moose coalition against him as well as the opposition of several moderate Unionists, mostly because they are insane. He did pass the income tax though, a move met with cheers by most of the Farmers-Laborers and Bull-Meese and widespread grumbling for his own party.

This last move has resulted in quite the contentious race for President Root, with economically more-conservative and possibly mouth-less Calvin Coolidge being his main challenger. Leonard Wood, one of the Union Army's greatest heroes from the Civil War and a staunch anti-communist, is also running on the platform of "we should have put that sonofabitch Debs in prison when we had the chance!", whereas Ohio Senator Warren G. Harding is running in an attempt to focus the party more on civil rights and less on the fact that he's constantly drunk and up to his ears in scandals. Also some face named Nicholas Murray Butler is running, and he wants to take over the whole world except the parts with black people in them because we wouldn't want those people in our America, would we now?

On the FLP side, the frontrunner is former President Eugene Debs, who is running on the general FLP things - banning child labor, a more forceful Reconstruction, and the shiny new platform plank of universal health care. His main challenger seems to be no one in particular, but Congressman A. Mitchell Palmer somehow made his way onto the convention floor even though no one is entirely sure he's supposed to be in the party because he keeps talking about "snuffing out the goddamn Reds." But hey, he likes unions, so that's a point in his favor. Thomas Marshall is running on the same general platform as Debs, but most people think he wants to get the Vice Presidency that he (and many others in the party) feel cheated out of. Fourthly through sixthly, we have Sen. Robert Owen of Oklahoma, who hates child labor, Gov. James Cox of Ohio, who no one cares about, and Woodrow Wilson, who just really wants to be President. Some Bull-Moose snuck into the convention and put a merger on the ballot in an attempt to repeat the almost-success of William V. Allen, but no one honestly thinks that will work.

Thirdly, we turn to the ever-second-or-third-best Bull-Meese, who are running the usual slate of candidates (aka La Follette and Johnson, the latter of whom has mulled a unity ticket with the FLP) as well as quite a few fresh faces: George Norris of Nebraska, heir to former Vice President Bryan's senate seat, who's basically just RLF and Johnson but not old and boring, some crazy-ass motherer named William Sproul (a Unionist in all but name and support for internal improvements), some dude with three names from Illinois (remember the last time we had a President with three names from Illinois? That was a bad time) who supports women's suffrage and some other things too, and a nice fellow named Alfred with a strange combination of political positions from his pro-immigrant stance to his opposition to Prohibition to his continuous fellatio of Pope Benedict XV. Some Farmer-Laborer snuck into the convention and put a merger on the ballot in an attempt to repeat the success of Zebulon Vance, but no one honestly believes that will work.

The Populists are here too, and you-know-who is running because it's the only thing that keeps himself from jumping off a bridge. James Reed (remember him from the primaries a while ago? I don't either) and a guy named Augustus are running too, and Augustus is the only one who isn't campaigning on full-out racism (he supports women's suffrage, opposes prohibition, and has many of the FLP's economic policies).

Three days, twenty-two options, go!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:01:19 PM »

Debs/La Guardia is my new OTP.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 04:23:25 PM »

Keep cool with Coolidge.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:52:28 PM »

Root.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:29:30 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2014, 05:31:15 PM by X is Tywinning »

Debs/Congressman Fiorello LaGaurdia

Down with the merger!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 08:53:30 PM »

Debs/Congressman Fiorello LaGaurdia

Down with the merger!

*burns Hiram Johnson in effigy*
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »

Coolidge/Harding
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 11:24:47 PM »

Calvin Coolidge/Irvine Lenroot
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 12:48:23 AM »

LaFollette/Sproul (Gotta get some PA love in there)

No on the merger!
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 01:56:12 AM »

PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 04:42:39 AM »

Here's a question that might be interesting that I just thought about: what are the demographics of the country like in this universe compared to IRL? I don't recall many immigration restrictions (if any at all) placed by the various administrations over the years, so more people across the world must have been coming over here.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:16:43 AM »

Preference Coolidge, Harding, or Reed.

Stategically voted Palmer
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 11:01:39 AM »

Keep cool with Coolidge!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »

No on the merger!

Just popping back in to note that Sproul's not my personal favorite guy - might I recommend Gifford Pinchot if you want a Pennsylvanian?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »

But...but...but...I thought only liberals try to sabatoge their opponents' primaries Roll Eyes
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 12:56:42 PM »

Voted Smith as insurance against a poor Union candidate. Nevertheless, I like Coolidge, Root, Harding, etc.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:39 PM »

No on the merger!

Just popping back in to note that Sproul's not my personal favorite guy - might I recommend Gifford Pinchot if you want a Pennsylvanian?

Sure, why not?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 01:53:26 PM »

But...but...but...I thought only liberals try to sabatoge their opponents' primaries Roll Eyes

No, it's just 1920's fault - last go-around we had sabotage in 1920 too.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 11:51:19 PM »

But can we surpass a sabotage like Pat Buchanan in 1992, who subsequently only got 6%?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 11:56:41 PM »

But can we surpass a sabotage like Pat Buchanan in 1992, who subsequently only got 6%?

Was that a sabotage? I don't recall.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 12:10:18 AM »

Some lefties jumped in to make sure he would be nominated at the convention, yes.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 02:06:47 AM »

Some lefties jumped in to make sure he would be nominated at the convention, yes.

I can see that happening. Back on the subject of Palmer, it might be interesting to see what happens if he wins the FLP primary and the BMP votes to merge - there'd be rioting in the streets!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 04:31:15 AM »

Sabotaging the FLP primary alone isn't a particularly clever form of sabotage. Given the amount of overlap between the FLP and the Bull-Meese, should either party nominate a dud candidate, I'm hard pressed to imagine why the one party's voters will not simply migrate to the other. Surely the best form of sabotage is to nominate the most popular candidates of each party, in order to increase the likelihood of vote splitting between the two. Then the Unionist can sneak up the middle Wink
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 09:17:07 AM »

Pat Buchanan was 1996, IIRC (and ironically, I think it only worked because so many Republicans voted for Bill Clinton to try to sabotage the Democrats Tongue ).  This being the Atlas, I actually doubt it was sabotage that led to Ron Paul's nomination in 1992.  However, while a significant number of Buchanan's votes were likely Republican, I'm sure some lefties voted for him and (IIRC) I was among those who criticized that.  The way I see it, sabotaging your opponent's nomination contest is wrong regardless of who does it and only makes this thing less fun.  I also don't consider "well they started it" or "yeah, but you guys were worse" to be a legitimate justification for sabotage.  My point was that in Cathcon's original series some folks on the right tried to act like only liberal posters were doing this and clearly that isn't the case.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 06:43:32 PM »

Pat Buchanan was 1996, IIRC (and ironically, I think it only worked because so many Republicans voted for Bill Clinton to try to sabotage the Democrats Tongue ).  This being the Atlas, I actually doubt it was sabotage that led to Ron Paul's nomination in 1992.  However, while a significant number of Buchanan's votes were likely Republican, I'm sure some lefties voted for him and (IIRC) I was among those who criticized that.  The way I see it, sabotaging your opponent's nomination contest is wrong regardless of who does it and only makes this thing less fun.  I also don't consider "well they started it" or "yeah, but you guys were worse" to be a legitimate justification for sabotage.  My point was that in Cathcon's original series some folks on the right tried to act like only liberal posters were doing this and clearly that isn't the case.

I think at least a few of those Republicans actually supported Clinton. For example, me. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies