Official Kansas Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:23:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Official Kansas Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Official Kansas Megathread  (Read 2449 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 06:03:28 PM »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article751853.html

Former Congresswoman Jan Meyers, who was listed as one of the Republicans endorsing Davis (and mentioned multiple times by other articles/news stations because of her prominent position), stated that she never endorsed Paul Davis, and that if she were to endorse, she would endorse Brownback.

Awk.

I wonder what the Republicans offered her to pretend she never endorsed Davis.

She's 85 and retired, what could they offer her? A new stair lift?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 06:05:37 PM »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article751853.html

Former Congresswoman Jan Meyers, who was listed as one of the Republicans endorsing Davis (and mentioned multiple times by other articles/news stations because of her prominent position), stated that she never endorsed Paul Davis, and that if she were to endorse, she would endorse Brownback.

Awk.

I wonder what the Republicans offered her to pretend she never endorsed Davis.

She's 85 and retired, what could they offer her? A new stair lift?

Or the entire first and second seasons of Murder She Wrote on tape.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 08:17:40 PM »

Probably just took a little digging - I expect these types of accusations to start as Democrats try to cover.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/paul-davis-kansas-election-2014-109123.html#ixzz382w9nlDx

It started with Meyers, but others instances are coming to light as well. This ploy gave Davis some momentum for a couple days, but the aftermath is starting to backfire on him. Also not included in the article is one of the lead organizers for the "Republicans for Davis" group - photographic evidence unveiled he had yard signs for Obama in 2008 and 2012.

Also, Brownback is saying there is a big announcement coming soon...time will tell.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »

I voted today - begrudgingly voted for Brownback, but chose Morgan over Kobach for SoS. Stuck with Roberts for US Senate (obviously).
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »

Jan Meyers has now endorsed Brownback, who is touting that he is still receiving moderate support
illegaloperation

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 01:45:40 PM by illegaloperation »

The whole ordeal reminds me of this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 03:00:20 PM »

Probably just took a little digging - I expect these types of accusations to start as Democrats try to cover.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/paul-davis-kansas-election-2014-109123.html#ixzz382w9nlDx

It started with Meyers, but others instances are coming to light as well. This ploy gave Davis some momentum for a couple days, but the aftermath is starting to backfire on him. Also not included in the article is one of the lead organizers for the "Republicans for Davis" group - photographic evidence unveiled he had yard signs for Obama in 2008 and 2012.

Also, Brownback is saying there is a big announcement coming soon...time will tell.

So, we're down to only about 100 current and former Republicans backing Davis? Maybe even high 90's?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »

First, I think a large part of the anti-gay bill was an effort to force Davis' hand on the issue, hoping he wouldn't be too vocal and talk about same-sex marriage, which would upset liberals. That being said, the reason I voted for Brownback in the primary was because I ultimately think he is far more competent than Winn would be. I am undecided for the General Election, but if anything I'm leaning towards Davis.

In terms of endorsements, yes, it still isn't great for Brownback. But momentum Davis received for this has been wiped away with all of these revolutions, in addition to the fact that this "group" isn't any sort of official organization and there was no mention that it was paid for by the Davis campaign, which is a campaign violation.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 12:38:55 AM »
« Edited: July 30, 2014, 12:49:16 AM by tmthforu94 »

The primary will occur in less than a week. Here is a rundown of what to expect...

Governor's Race - How well will Sam Brownback do? He's likely going to be Jennifer Winn, but the question is by how much? A poll by KSN/SurveyUSA last month had him only up by 18. He has been actively campaigning since, as well as had some ads going, and their poll last week had it at 60-30. How well he does could indicate how well he will do in November - many people who will be voting for Winn (who has ran a surprisingly active campaign) are only doing so out of protest of Brownback and that number will likely reflect what % of the GOP vote Davis can expect in November.

Secretary of State - Kris Kobach is probably going to win here - he is the former state chair of the KSGOP and very popular with the base. Scott Morgan has ran from the left, but he has raised very valid concerns about Kobach that will likely transfer over to the General Election when he faced Schodorf. Almost every newspaper in the state has endorsed Morgan.

Insurance Commissioner - It has been an absolute free-for-all to replace Sandy Praeger. Clark Shultz seems to be the establishment candidates and boasts quite a few endorsements as well as almost all newspapers. That being said, I haven't seen too active of a campaign from him, with little to no signage in eastern Kansas (where most of the votes are). Beverly Gossage  has been running a grassroots campaign for over a year now and seems to be the favorite of many Tea Partiers. Ken Selzer also has a strong base in JoCo and could potentially pull out a squeeker here. I don't see Toplikar or Powell winning, but Powell could pick up a surprising number of votes, potentially pushing into 3rd place. Your hometown is listed on the ballot, and considering that a high number of voters won't know who they are voting for, he has the advantage of being the only candidate from the Wichita area and is from a more recognizable western town (Shultz is from a small western town).

No clue who will win this - Gossage seems to have the edge here in Douglas County, along with JoCo, but I'm not sure where she stands in the rest of the state. My inclination tells me that Shultz narrowly beats her. A bummer for Gossage, and she would probably win in a head-to-head race.

ANOTHER NOTE: I'm already guessing myself on saying Shultz will win...there has been no polling on this race, but Gossage has won most straw polls I know of, which is certainly a good sign when considering the primary electorate.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »

Rothenberg moves KS-Gov from Likely R to Lean R.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »

'Underperform in your Republican primary? Thanks Obama!

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 09:59:42 AM »

nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »

new Senate poll from PPP had Roberts up just 7 points on Taylor and Orman over 20% (9 points behind Roberts and 2 behind Taylor). In a h2h race, Orman was leading Roberts 43-33.

This residency issue has deeply damaged Roberts popularity and both Taylor and Orman have a chance. Dems need to push Taylor to drop out if you ask me, Orman pulling an upset in Kansas and then caucusing with Dems could be what holds the Senate, similar to Angus King situation.

Orman has more money and he's more moderate with less baggage, thus more viable with the (I) label. Taylor is a credible candidate but the party id and baggage drags him down.

KS Senate is still lean GOP but competitive now
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies