Converse with Joe Republic and his stunning ignorance of basic historical events
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:51:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Converse with Joe Republic and his stunning ignorance of basic historical events
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Converse with Joe Republic and his stunning ignorance of basic historical events  (Read 3742 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2014, 01:03:11 AM »

Ask me anything, and I'll do my best to summarize the Wikipedia entry on it for you.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:24:29 AM »

Was Cao Cao's inability to wrap up his two southern rivals at Red Cliffs in 213 CE a net negative for the Chinese, prolonging the warlordism and chaos, or a net positive, by preventing the Caos from asserting absolute power that they didn't deserve?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 01:44:10 AM »

Was Cao Cao's inability to wrap up his two southern rivals at Red Cliffs in 213 CE a net negative for the Chinese, prolonging the warlordism and chaos, or a net positive, by preventing the Caos from asserting absolute power that they didn't deserve?

Ánh "Joseph" Quang Cao (born March 13, 1967 in Saigon, South Vietnam) is an American politician who was the U.S. Representative for Louisiana's 2nd congressional district from 2009 to 2011.  He is a member of the Republican Party.  In April 2011, Cao announced his candidacy for the office of Attorney General of Louisiana; however, in September 2011 he pulled out of the race, and the incumbent Buddy Caldwell ran unopposed for a second term.

He was the first Vietnamese American to serve in Congress, and the first and thus far only Republican from his New Orleans-based district since 1891.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »

To what extent do you agree that the Islamization of eastern Bengal was a spontaneous process rather than the result of any concerted government policy?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:42:22 PM »

Do you think that the Ikkō-ikki were a natural or even inevitable result of the tenets of Jōdo Shinshū being applied to the political context of the Sengoku period, or were the religious aspects of the movement more incidental and used to obscure secular or even materialistic concerns?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:21:38 PM »

How long was Crazy Cabbie in prison and what has he been doing since ending his association with Howard Stern?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 09:43:04 PM »

Historically speaking, did Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough have nicer boobs than me?
Historically speaking of course.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 11:27:13 PM »

Historically speaking, did Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough have nicer boobs than me?

Always a tricky question when the lady in question lived to 84.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 12:32:01 AM »

Joe,

How much you don't care about the Cisplatine War?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »

Do you favour a Rankeian interpretation of history?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:28:00 AM »

To what extent do you agree that the Islamization of eastern Bengal was a spontaneous process rather than the result of any concerted government policy?

The Buffalo State Bengals are composed of 16 teams representing Buffalo State College in intercollegiate athletics, including men and women's basketball, cross country, ice hockey, soccer, swimming & diving, and track and field. Men's sports include football. Women's sports include volleyball, lacrosse, and softball. The Bengals compete in the NCAA Division III and are members of the State University of New York Athletic Conference for most sports, except for the football team, which competes in the Empire 8.

Do you think that the Ikkō-ikki were a natural or even inevitable result of the tenets of Jōdo Shinshū being applied to the political context of the Sengoku period, or were the religious aspects of the movement more incidental and used to obscure secular or even materialistic concerns?

"Iko Iko" is a much-covered New Orleans song that tells of a parade collision between two "tribes" of Mardi Gras Indians and the traditional confrontation. The song, under the original title "Jock-A-Mo", was written in 1953 by James "Sugar Boy" Crawford in New Orleans. The story tells of a "spy boy" (i.e. a lookout for one band of Indians) encountering the "flag boy" or guidon carrier for another "tribe". He threatens to "set the flag on fire".

How long was Crazy Cabbie in prison and what has he been doing since ending his association with Howard Stern?

I totally agree with that assessment of events.

Boobs were technically not invented until 1869, by Lady Margaret Breast (although of course they were unofficially invented about ten years earlier by a London madam named Fanny Titts); over 120 years after the death of the Duchess of Marlborough, so technically your question is invalid.  Your ass is way nicer, however.

Joe,

How much you don't care about the Cisplatine War?

I care very much, actually!  There's a deli about 5 miles from my house that has the best Cisplatines you'll ever find west of the Missoura.

Do you favour a Rankeian interpretation of history?

I do prefer Rankin' history in order of when things happened, yes.  For example,

1. 1072
2. 1245
3. 1766
4. 1779
5. 1903
6. 1990
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 04:19:46 AM »

I take back everything bad I've ever said about Joe's understanding of any humanities or social sciences discipline. This thread is gold.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 07:52:15 AM »

Did von Kluck's violation of the Schlieffen Plan effectively ensure that the Great War would be a long war?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »

What are your feelings about the famous Conspiracy to Murder Bill in 19th century England?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 11:47:01 AM »

What are your feelings about the famous Conspiracy to Murder Bill in 19th century England?

I don't know about Joe, but personally I think Bill needed to die:
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 01:14:52 AM »

I take back everything bad I've ever said about Joe's understanding of any humanities or social sciences discipline. This thread is gold.
Did von Kluck's violation of the Schlieffen Plan effectively ensure that the Great War would be a long war?

Happily, I am able to address both points with one answer.  The current price of gold is US$1312.62/oz.

Unfortunately I am unable to address this question at all, as a pedantic old weirdo already gave my answer for me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 04:18:28 AM »

Unfortunately I am unable to address this question at all, as a pedantic old weirdo already gave my answer for me.

Who are you calling pedantic?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »

Why did the piano come to replace the harpsichord in the Classical music tradition when the latter is obviously the superior instrument?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2014, 11:15:19 AM »

Critically assess the role - if any - played by the three field system in the development of European colonialism.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »

Why was there such a great diaspora among the Romani people and are they the source of Cher's big hit, Gypsies Tramps and Thieves?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2014, 06:28:32 PM »

Why did the piano come to replace the harpsichord in the Classical music tradition when the latter is obviously the superior instrument?

Because pianos provide far more opportunities for humorous situations, e.g. when being moved between floors, or when let loose at the top of a steep hill.

Critically assess the role - if any - played by the three field system in the development of European colonialism.

Indeed, once the known world had been divided up into only three fields, colonies were soon sought in order to expand to a fourth, fifth, and in the case of Belgium, a sixth field.

Why was there such a great diaspora among the Romani people and are they the source of Cher's big hit, Gypsies Tramps and Thieves?

It was the Jews' fault.  It's always the Jews, you see.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 09:00:45 PM »

Not historical, but if a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies