Pew polls the world on opinions of the US, China, etc.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:10:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Pew polls the world on opinions of the US, China, etc.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Pew polls the world on opinions of the US, China, etc.  (Read 4057 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »

Here's Pew's latest world opinions survey:

http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/07/14/global-opposition-to-u-s-surveillance-and-drones-but-limited-harm-to-americas-image/

Some highlights: Asian countries on how they view their neighbors….and the US:

Next, Russia, China, and most of the Islamic world like China better than the US.  But the US still does OK in most of the rest of the world:

Favorability of the US has declined somewhat in Germany, but is otherwise doing OK among the US's closest allies.  It has taken an enormous hit in Egypt in recent years, with favorability sliding all the way down to 10% this year.  Also taken a big hit in Russia just in the past year:

Meanwhile, China isn't hugely popular in the US or Western Europe, but does OK elsewhere.  Greece does like China better than the US though:

Finally, there seems to be a lot of confusion about who is the world's leading economic power:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »

Well, if the US wouldn't be so amateurish in spying Germany, the ratings there would probably be higher ... Tongue
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:46:41 AM »

What's up with Greece?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 11:52:57 AM »

Well, if the US wouldn't be so amateurish in spying Germany, the ratings there would probably be higher ... Tongue

I'm really surprised the ratings aren't lower. It's hardly any change from 2012.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:56:10 PM »

I'm really surprised the ratings aren't lower. It's hardly any change from 2012.

The interviews were all conducted before the latest round of accusations, embassy expulsions, etc.  (Though yes, after the news of Merkel's phone being tapped.)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:13:57 PM »

So, Americans think Britain is their greatest ally? That's a bit of a snub to their biggest trading partner Sad
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 06:28:44 PM »

So, Americans think Britain is their greatest ally? That's a bit of a snub to their biggest trading partner Sad

War trumps trade on people's notions of "greatest ally".
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 06:57:06 PM »

War trumps trade on people's notions of "greatest ally".

Apparently geographic proximity means nothing either.

Oh well, if I were asked that question, I would pick the UK too, but I suspect the US would be the plurality choice in Canada.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »

Remember we declined following them in Irak, unlike Blair.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »

Remember we declined following them in Irak, unlike Blair.

I don't think it's just that.  Before that, there was the UK participating in the enforcement of the Iraqi no-fly zones for 12 years and joining in stuff like Operation Desert Fox, there was the UK joining in the initial bombing of Afghanistan in October 2001 (though yes, of course Canada and other allies sent troops in shortly thereafter).  More recently, you have Libya in 2011 (which, again, yes, I know Canada participated too, but it was Cameron and Sarkozy who were agitating for action, and it was billed as a US/UK/France mission before the rest of NATO got involved).

In all of these cases, even when Canada participates, it doesn't get as much credit as the UK, both because the UK's position on the Security Council automatically gives it a higher profile, and because the UK's larger population/GDP/military capabilities means that it's coming in with more resources.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 08:34:44 PM »

They've been down on the US and Western Europe ever since the economic meltdown, and have started giving higher ratings to traditional Western adversaries Russia and China.

This is from Pew's survey in 2012 (so before the recent issues with Russia and Ukraine, but still), showing the Greeks having a higher opinion of Putin than Obama, Merkel, or Ban Ki-Moon:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 08:37:31 PM »

Oh, and going back to the 2014 survey, here are the numbers for Obama:

Panda Express

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 09:37:30 PM »

I'm still amused by the big spike in approval for the US in several European countries from 2008 to 2009.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 10:27:51 PM »

Whats with the sudden 20 point spike in China's approval of the U.S.? Is the popularity of shows such as House of Cards and movies such as Transformers improving the U.S. image there?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 10:29:04 PM »

Whats with the sudden 20 point spike in China's approval of the U.S.? Is the popularity of shows such as House of Cards and movies such as Transformers improving the U.S. image there?

Maybe the resources we put into trying to find that missing plane?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 11:32:05 PM »

Tue fact that Pakistanis hate America as much as India and fear us more really shows how bad our foreign policy really is.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2014, 01:01:49 AM »

Tue fact that Pakistanis hate America as much as India and fear us more really shows how bad our foreign policy really is.

Are you arguing that we shouldn't have killed Bin Laden?
swl
France

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 06:43:01 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2014, 11:43:35 AM by swl »

It makes sense though, India is more the long-term sleeping threat while the US has been conducting attacks on Pakistan territory for more than 10 years.

It's interesting to see who is pro and anti China in Asia.

France is still affected by the Obamania. Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »

No, but just about everything else we've done has been horrible. The drone strikes, the interventions in the Tribal Regions, etc. And I do think that we could have handled the UBL raid better, but his death is enough for me to shove my principles under the rug.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 11:29:06 AM »

Interesting how much Pakistanis love China, while the Chinese rate India and Pakistan the same.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 08:34:42 PM »

Interesting how Lebanon's numbers vacillate. I'm thinking that is due to different samples.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 08:59:58 PM »

No, but just about everything else we've done has been horrible. The drone strikes, the interventions in the Tribal Regions, etc. And I do think that we could have handled the UBL raid better, but his death is enough for me to shove my principles under the rug.

These guys we hit in NW Frontier and tribals arent exactly playing pattycake and the Pakistani government vacillates on how serious they combat the AQ, Talib, Haqqani etc. Further, we all know the ISI plays a cynical game. Much rather hit them where they plan and contain it before it reaches here.  Do we kill innocents, of course.  Have we handled everything deftly, of course not.  I also don't think we can afford to be passive and trust the Pakistani government to keep their house in order.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »

That is a very naive view of the world. The Pakistanis hate us because we are actually doing something about their constant coddling of terrorists. The ISI trains terrorists and the Pakistanis celebrate them as freedom fighters. I was the biggest opponent of the Iraq war and I still strongly oppose invasions and regime changes, but surgical strikes against terrorists is one of the best innovations of US foreign policy in recent years.
swl
France

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »

The ISI supported the Pakistani Taliban as much as the CIA did. It turned out be unfortunate for both countries.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 07:58:36 PM »

The ISI supported the Pakistani Taliban as much as the CIA did. It turned out be unfortunate for both countries.

The mujahideen of the Soviet era are not synonymous with the Taliban. Some became Northern Alliance, some Taliban. The US was gone from the scene by the time the Taliban formed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies