Pew polls the world on opinions of the US, China, etc.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:03:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Pew polls the world on opinions of the US, China, etc.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Pew polls the world on opinions of the US, China, etc.  (Read 4051 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:09 PM »

The ISI supported the Pakistani Taliban as much as the CIA did. It turned out be unfortunate for both countries.

That was a long time ago, and as pointed out, they weren't the Taliban. The ISI built the Taliban so they could have control of Afghanistan. As you may know, the relationship between the non-Pashtun Afghani population and Pakistan is not great. And to this day the ISI continues to support terrorist groups, and will continue to do so.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »

What has Pakistan ever done for the US though? Why would they have any expectations from a relationship where they have given nothing? Even helping the mujahideen was ultimately in Pakistan's interests as they gained greater control over Afghanistan.

In addition, why do they think the US should support them in wars they unilaterally start against India for no good reason? Every single war in the history of India/Pakistan has been started by Pakistan. They have deluded themselves into thinking this is proper behavior befitting a country that is committed to a peaceful and prosperous world. And to make things worse, they have nuclear weapons.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 01:27:56 PM »

Why is Argentina so anti-American?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »

In light of the MH17 shootdown, here are some more results from the poll on Russia and Putin (again, these surveys were done post-Ukraine revolution / Crime annexation, but pre-MH17:

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 02:09:19 PM »

Putin's numbers in Venezuela are interestingly high.
swl
France

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »

Looking at the drop between 2000 and 2002, my guess would be that is that something to do with the economic crisis of 2001. Argentinian considers the IMF to be responsible of it and, like everywhere outside the Western world, IMF=US.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2014, 05:30:45 AM »

Which is stupid because the IMF didn't change the rules between giving Argentina a loan and then asking them to pay it back.  They spend too much, have way too much corruption and tax evasion is the national sport.  Just like a certain southern European country (or two) that is in the same boat.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »

Looking at the drop between 2000 and 2002, my guess would be that is that something to do with the economic crisis of 2001. Argentinian considers the IMF to be responsible of it and, like everywhere outside the Western world, IMF=US.

Not really. While the IMF and the World bank and others aren't loved by the population, the main complaints during the crisis were against our own politicians (more specifically President De la Rua, Finance minister Cavallo and former president Menem). Sure, some (especially the far left people) protested against everything that had to do with the US, but considering that they usually got less than 5% in the elections it's likely it was more bark than bite. At least this was the feeling I got living during those times.

I believe the explanation is much simpler and it is that something else happened between 2000 and 2002 and that was the election of George Bush. During the 2000 election controversy, people already sort of turned against Bush and that went a little bit farther when the US invaded Afghanistan. Of course the US favorability went even more to hell in 2002 when there were talks about invading Iraq and it never really recovered until Obama was elected. Clinton and Obama are viewed very differently than George Bush. In fact, considering all the leaks about the spying scandal and the continued involvement in the Middle East I'm surprised the rating is still that high.

Which is stupid because the IMF didn't change the rules between giving Argentina a loan and then asking them to pay it back.  They spend too much, have way too much corruption and tax evasion is the national sport.  Just like a certain southern European country (or two) that is in the same boat.

Corruption is a problem obviously, and tax evasion while still nothing to brag about, has been reduced in the past 10 or so years.

I do have to add that while the country image is that of one that doesn't pay it's debts, the fact is that for 10 years or more we have been doing nothing but paying back the external debt. In fact it went from being 153,6% to 34,7% of the GDP. As far as I know we don't really have a debt with the IMF since 2005. And in our debt restructuring 93% of the bondholders accepted Argentina's offer of the debt exchange and because the country was having an economic boom they received pretty big profits.

Today's problems are cause by just a tiny fraction of the bondholders (7%), the so called vulture funds.

You can argue if it was a good policy or not or if it was done well or not (the non Kirchnerist left here doesn't let a day go by without criticizing the government for paying the debt to the IMF, the World Bank, etc and I don't really know if the debt exchange was such a good idea as it was presented), but you can't really argue that we haven't been paying our debts for the past 10 years. In fact, I believe we got no loans to help us recover from the 2001 crisis and we have received no loans since then either (I would have to look this up tough).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies