Pew polls the world on opinions of the US, China, etc. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:24:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Pew polls the world on opinions of the US, China, etc. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pew polls the world on opinions of the US, China, etc.  (Read 4087 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: July 17, 2014, 05:40:51 PM »

Tue fact that Pakistanis hate America as much as India and fear us more really shows how bad our foreign policy really is.

Are you arguing that we shouldn't have killed Bin Laden?
No, but just about everything else we've done has been horrible. The drone strikes, the interventions in the Tribal Regions, etc. And I do think that we could have handled the UBL raid better, but his death is enough for me to shove my principles under the rug.

That is a very naive view of the world. The Pakistanis hate us because we are actually doing something about their constant coddling of terrorists. The ISI trains terrorists and the Pakistanis celebrate them as freedom fighters. I was the biggest opponent of the Iraq war and I still strongly oppose invasions and regime changes, but surgical strikes against terrorists is one of the best innovations of US foreign policy in recent years.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:07:09 PM »

The ISI supported the Pakistani Taliban as much as the CIA did. It turned out be unfortunate for both countries.

That was a long time ago, and as pointed out, they weren't the Taliban. The ISI built the Taliban so they could have control of Afghanistan. As you may know, the relationship between the non-Pashtun Afghani population and Pakistan is not great. And to this day the ISI continues to support terrorist groups, and will continue to do so.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:43:38 AM »

What has Pakistan ever done for the US though? Why would they have any expectations from a relationship where they have given nothing? Even helping the mujahideen was ultimately in Pakistan's interests as they gained greater control over Afghanistan.

In addition, why do they think the US should support them in wars they unilaterally start against India for no good reason? Every single war in the history of India/Pakistan has been started by Pakistan. They have deluded themselves into thinking this is proper behavior befitting a country that is committed to a peaceful and prosperous world. And to make things worse, they have nuclear weapons.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies