Federal Debt to Reach 106% of U.S. Economy in 2039, CBO Says
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:04:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Federal Debt to Reach 106% of U.S. Economy in 2039, CBO Says
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Federal Debt to Reach 106% of U.S. Economy in 2039, CBO Says  (Read 2774 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2014, 09:19:45 AM »

See

http://www.cbo.gov/publication/45471

for latest CBO projections.  

These projections already takes assumes revenue will rise from 17.6% of GDP to 22%-23% of GDP over the next 50 years.  But it seems spending will easily outstrip that.

It seems that revenue has to go up and keep the social programs as comprehensive as possible so it is not seen as a redistribution to the poor (Dem position) or various social programs will have to be cut it back plus means testing which in turn will make it look like a redistribution program which makes it more likely they can be cut (GOP position.)

Since I am working now I am for the GOP position, once I go into semi-retirement and then full retirements over the next few years most likely I will shift to the Dem position as I would not have that much earned income for the government to tax but means testing of social benefits will kill me.  I definitely see myself voting Dem by 2020.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 11:39:36 AM »

Clearly this is because the stimulus was too small. Roll Eyes
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:43:55 AM »

Since I am working now I am for the GOP position, once I go into semi-retirement and then full retirements over the next few years most likely I will shift to the Dem position as I would not have that much earned income for the government to tax but means testing of social benefits will kill me.  I definitely see myself voting Dem by 2020.

It's not very empathic of you to only think of yourself. Tongue
If everyone thought like you, there would be no society at all. Only independent individuals, anarchaic chaos and lawlessness.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 12:11:07 PM »

I guess that's good for people's portfolios; there won't be a shortage of government bonds to buy for retirement. For everyone else, this is interesting but irrelevant.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 03:54:25 PM »

I'm perfectly fine with us passing massive spending cuts and tax increases to go in effect for the FY 2025-2039 years. That would fix your scary projections and not destroy our economy when it's still on the growth phase.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »

Of course another solution is financial repression where the debt becomes monetized through higher inflation.  In such a case investing in fixed income is the kiss of death during that period.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 05:58:06 PM »

I'm perfectly fine with us passing massive spending cuts and tax increases to go in effect for the FY 2025-2039 years. That would fix your scary projections and not destroy our economy when it's still on the growth phase.

CBO forecasts don't model economic counterfactuals. The economy will sag as baby-boomers move through the FICA system. Spending decreases and tax increases would probably make the problem much worse.

The same problem has existed since the 1980s, and we always choose to spend more and tax less, rather than reform our broken system.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 06:47:15 PM »

The economy will sag as baby-boomers move through the FICA system.

Can I have something to back up this statement? Not sure myself, but common sense suggests boomer retirements should open up a lot of career opportunities and unleash a lot of retirement $$$ consumption.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 06:15:02 PM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »

The economy will sag as baby-boomers move through the FICA system.

Can I have something to back up this statement? Not sure myself, but common sense suggests boomer retirements should open up a lot of career opportunities and unleash a lot of retirement $$$ consumption.

Yes, but how much money is that going to be?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 11:25:53 PM »

Yeah, he made the economy blow up in 2008.....
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 12:23:08 PM »

If you look through CBO documents for a couple of minutes, you'll find the data you need. CBO have been demanding SS and MED reform since the late-90s. They have plenty of ugly models, and BEA have the counterfactual studies that detail the real scope of the problem.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 05:26:13 PM »

But we could have just used austerity to balance the loss of revenue and though we would have stagnated with 12% unemployment and less than 1% growth, at least we would have zero inflation and our values, right? We all could learn something from the 1880s.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 06:20:24 PM »

Re: Federal Debt to Reach 106% of U.S. Economy in 2039, CBO Says
Looks like the debt is better than I thought. I thought we were already past 100%, or would be by the end of the decade.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 08:24:31 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2014, 10:39:21 PM by AggregateDemand »

Looks like the debt is better than I thought. I thought we were already past 100%, or would be by the end of the decade.

The article only refers to public debt. Unlike national debt, public debt does not include intragovernment holdings. The article does not include the trillions we've borrowed from the SS trust fund, nor does it consider the enormous unfunded liabilities for SS and MED, which will both become part of the national debt, if we do not raise taxes on the middle class or reform spending.

The same public/national confusion led people to believe that the national debt was falling during the Clinton administration, which supported the balanced budget that never was.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 12:17:26 PM »

Most of us will be dead or dying by then anyway, so I'm not sure what the concern is.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2014, 08:21:52 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

This chart is meaningless: you can't forecast growth rates, revenue or government spending for a lengthy time horizon. The forecasts of astrologists or palm readers are as accurate as the forecasts of economists. This isn't an indictment of economists: you can't accurately predict the behavior of political actors.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies