FORUM COMMUNITY OMNIBUS AMA THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:56:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  FORUM COMMUNITY OMNIBUS AMA THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15
Author Topic: FORUM COMMUNITY OMNIBUS AMA THREAD  (Read 16811 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: July 19, 2014, 08:08:37 PM »

That's a lot of people who all willingly chose to purchase the wrong phone.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #326 on: July 19, 2014, 08:20:09 PM »

Are there a lot of southern Democrats left around there, or have they pretty much switched?

There are still a lot of older, White conservative people around who would vote for a Democrat while not exactly describing themselves primarily as such.  The MS legislature has a pretty sizable Blue Dog coalition, but the VRA eats away at that every round if redistributing.  Where I live in Mississippi, Starkville, there's a pretty sizable contingency of white liberals who vote Democratic, so I wouldn't say that White Democrats are exactly a rare breed in my part of the state.   
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #327 on: July 19, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »

How concerned are you about a possible McDaniel-ization of the Mississippi Republican Party?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #328 on: July 19, 2014, 09:09:36 PM »

How are race relations where you live?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #329 on: July 19, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »

I do not answer questions.  I only give solutions, to questions that are never asked.

On today's agenda: what makes a good lie.

In order to be a good liar you must strive to put the amount of proper research into it without using too much of it.  The most successful setup requires at least a little bit of truth or basis in fact.  You must at least have something that has happened in reality or is verified by the laws of nature as a backdrop to your rotten lowdown lies.

However, no lie should never have too much truth in it.  Ideally, the perfect lie has about 40% truth to it.  Political hacks, marketing firms, and Corporate America agrees with this statement 95% of the time when asked about this on sunny days with minimal cloud cover.  If you pull for a lie with less than 40% truth you suspect smelling like bullsh*t, if you pull for 50% or more truth then you are practically telling the truth and shouldn't even bother.

This is why pyramid schemes are so effective, because they do work very well for some, but not all who are members of it.  You can earn money from the schemes, but only if you happened to be there five years ago and recruited 100 people to sell more insurance for ya!

This is your Mecha thought for the day.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »

How concerned are you about a possible McDaniel-ization of the Mississippi Republican Party?

Not much at all.  In the best national environment he's ever going to get and with millions upon millions of outside dollars McDaniel still managed to lose against the epitome of the "big spending, pro-Obamacare" GOP establishment.  If someone like McDaniel couldn't do it against Thad Cochran in 2014, then how is someone like Angela Hill or Michael Watson going to do it against the likes of Tate Reeves and Stacey Pickering? 
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2014, 09:23:40 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2014, 09:27:42 PM by Mechaman »

Today's Assignment:

IN today's world there are millions and millions of public restroom facilities.  Some are shockingly clean, and many are home to billions of unidentified forms of biological warfare.  Some of these places come with convenient paper seat covers, many don't.  Using relevant research resources, please take state your position on the proper usage of public toilets.  Defend why you use or don't use the paper toilet seats when they are provided (or if there are none available, clarify if you use the nearby toilet paper receptacle to guard your underlegs) as well as your wiping technique.  If you are of the male sex, please describe your ideal stance in front of the urinal and how the material of your pants affects your "glide".

Please respond with 2,000 words or less.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2014, 09:26:39 PM by Del Tachi »

Very swell if I do say so myself. 

Mississippi is very well integrated along racial and socioeconomic lines, and I am particularly grateful for that.  Growing up going to Mississippi public schools in a college town made my childhood extremely diverse, and that's actually something that I think I would have been cheated-out of if I had grown up in suburban Chicago or Denver.

Moreover, I now go to Mississippi State University which has the highest percentage of African-American students of any SEC school, and we have historically and consistently led the way in awarding Blacks ag and engineering degrees. 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2014, 09:27:18 PM »

What kind of gin do you prefer in a G&T?

I am personally partial to Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »

What kind of gin do you prefer in a G&T?

I am personally partial to Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.

Beefeaters. 
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2014, 10:25:17 PM »

That's a lot of people who all willingly chose to purchase the wrong phone.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »

Mississippi is very well integrated along racial and socioeconomic lines, and I am particularly grateful for that.  Growing up going to Mississippi public schools in a college town made my childhood extremely diverse, and that's actually something that I think I would have been cheated-out of if I had grown up in suburban Chicago or Denver.

Moreover, I now go to Mississippi State University which has the highest percentage of African-American students of any SEC school, and we have historically and consistently led the way in awarding Blacks ag and engineering degrees. 

So in other words, race relations are better in Mississippi than in Colorado or Illinois?  That's something I'd definitely have to see for myself...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #337 on: July 19, 2014, 10:46:33 PM »

So in other words, race relations are better in Mississippi than in Colorado or Illinois?  That's something I'd definitely have to see for myself...

I read that as "There is more Black people in Mississippi than in suburban Chicago or Denver."
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2014, 11:00:36 PM »

Racial microrelations are probably better in the South than they are in the North, yes.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #339 on: July 19, 2014, 11:08:04 PM »

What made you choose to go to MS State rather than Ole Miss?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #340 on: July 19, 2014, 11:21:48 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2014, 11:41:15 PM by Del Tachi »

I wanted to study agricultural economics, and I didn't see the point of paying out-of-state tuition for an AgEcon degree when basically all SEC land grant schools are right on par with one another...and MSU gave me free tuition Wink

And, most of all, Ole Miss is a terrible school where prep school rejects go to so they can save face and party with daddy's money for 4-6 years.  While this may sound attractive to the likes of someone like myself, I do actually have a legitimate interest in achieving an education.   
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #341 on: July 20, 2014, 01:21:50 AM »

Could you clarify your view on Elliot Rodgers? Some of us were quite shocked by your posts on that thread.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #342 on: July 20, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »

Android is the best.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #343 on: July 20, 2014, 08:35:34 AM »

I don't know, ask Cheney.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #344 on: July 20, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »

The funny thing is Apple's most recent updates are just adding features Android has had for a long time. Plus Android doesn't have anyone dictatorilly vetoing what you can install on the phone. Even iOS Ingress out now has some features disabled because they violate Apple's ToS for what can be in the App Store. Kind of funny to see Joe taking the hipster position here too.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #345 on: July 20, 2014, 10:32:59 AM »

IIRC, you've been to New Orleans. What was your favorite part of the trip there?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #346 on: July 20, 2014, 01:32:38 PM »

Could you clarify your view on Elliot Rodgers? Some of us were quite shocked by your posts on that thread.

I have never tried to justify his actions. What he did was horrific and nothing less than wanton slaughter.

All I said was that when I read some of his writings that had been posted online, some of it hit really close to home - the loneliness, the feelings of inadequacy. But he was also a horrid racist and obviously had a lot of other issues.
GaussLaw
« Reply #347 on: July 20, 2014, 02:16:35 PM »

I wanted to study agricultural economics, and I didn't see the point of paying out-of-state tuition for an AgEcon degree when basically all SEC land grant schools are right on par with one another...and MSU gave me free tuition Wink

And, most of all, Ole Miss is a terrible school where prep school rejects go to so they can save face and party with daddy's money for 4-6 years.  While this may sound attractive to the likes of someone like myself, I do actually have a legitimate interest in achieving an education.   

I am curious.....what does one do with an AgEcon degree?  Do you want to be a farmer?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #348 on: July 20, 2014, 03:57:45 PM »

I am curious.....what does one do with an AgEcon degree?  Do you want to be a farmer?

Agribusiness management is certainly a path that someone could take if majoring in AgEcon, but I'm doing a policy and law concentration.  While I'm not entirely sure what I want to do ok the future, I think I want to go to law school and the. Work in some sort of bureaucratic capacity for USDA, EPA or something like that.  If I wanted to I could probably go to work on the Hill, develop a policy profile in ag/environmental issues, and then move downtown as some sort of consultant.  However, recently accounting and real estate have peaked my interest and ag can mean quite well with those fields
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #349 on: July 20, 2014, 04:00:04 PM »

OMG. What a patchwork of a thread.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15  
« previous next »