FORUM COMMUNITY OMNIBUS AMA THREAD
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:58:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  FORUM COMMUNITY OMNIBUS AMA THREAD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]
Author Topic: FORUM COMMUNITY OMNIBUS AMA THREAD  (Read 16756 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: July 20, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »

it is beautiful chaos
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #351 on: July 20, 2014, 04:05:45 PM »

Yeah I like the old way better
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #352 on: July 20, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »

It's like a strange simulation of severe Multiple Personality Disorder.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #353 on: July 20, 2014, 04:16:42 PM »

Taco:

A) Do you hold a position in your chapter?

II. Do you intend on being the first president who has ties to the atlas forum?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #354 on: July 20, 2014, 08:26:12 PM »

Taco:

I was formerly PCP and I'm now the corresponding secretary.

As far as electoral politics go, it's certainly something I'm giving serious consideration to and I think it would be a personally rewarding avenue for someone like myself.  However, I see myself being much more effective and satisfied in a legislative rather than executive role.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #355 on: July 20, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »

Taco:

As far as electoral politics go, it's certainly something I'm giving serious consideration to and I think it would be a personally rewarding avenue for someone like myself.  However, I see myself being much more effective and satisfied in a legislative rather than executive role.

Ah. I myself was PCP after our first one either dropped or was dropped despite not holding any cabinet position. I'm currently our "4th Councillor" (Secretary) for the fall semester.

You mentioned you'd worked for Cochran (I recall). Would you like to one day have a similar career?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #356 on: July 20, 2014, 08:59:06 PM »

Taco:

Ah. I myself was PCP after our first one either dropped or was dropped despite not holding any cabinet position. I'm currently our "4th Councillor" (Secretary) for the fall semester.

Very nice.  Looks like our Greek "careers" are progressing quite similarly, as I was only made PCP when it proved that the one originally appointed was not cut out for the job (I may or may not have done some House of Cards'ing to get that accomplished Wink)  Do you plan on progressing further up in your chapter or do you have your eyes set on IFC?  I got to do this "junior" IFC thing for underclassmen this past semester, and I really enjoyed it and got to be really good friends with all of the IFC executive officers looking out for the up-and-comers.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, I was Cochran's Senate page for a semester in high school.  I recently got pretty extensively involved in his reelection efforts; I spent the better part of the school year building a strong core of campaign volunteers among MSU Greeks and, after school let out, I got to travel as part of Cochran's campaign entourage for a little while.  Of course, this allowed to get to know a lot of people who work in Cochran's office (as well as some in Wicker's, Nunnelee's and Harper's office) and the Cochran people and Nunnelee have both told me that I need to apply for an internship Smiley

If I did somehow wind-up in the U.S. Senate one day, I'd probably try to model myself off of Cochran - a moderate, Southern GOP appropriator who likes to work behind the scenes. I am, however, probably a little further to the left than Cochran and much more likely to be a loose cannon so that could prove problematic.   
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #357 on: July 20, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »

Very nice.

I'd like to one day be chapter president, though that'll probably be in my fourth year. I'm currently wondering what space I'll have to advance in the winter semester. The other guy from my pledge class to be on our Executive Council for the fall will probably be shooting for Treasurer, which is a position I'm apathetic about, but is a step above Secretary. While it's possible I could move up to Vice President (I was nominated in the last election, though as the least qualified candidate in the field, it was obvious that wasn't happening), it looks like I may have to go two terms as Secretary until something opens up. One of the issues is that a position I'd like to move into called First Councillor is voted on after Secretary, despite being seen as an office requiring more experience, so trying to  move in that direction is an electoral gamble.

While other schools may have greater involvement in large fraternal organizations (IFC, Panhellenic, etc.), the only thing we're involved in (to my knowledge) is "Greek Council" which, at maximum, represents about six organizations due to the small size of UDM's Greek community. However, I was elected as our alternate delegate to that and, combined with my election to Student Government Association, I'll be involved more than a typical member would in interfraternal relations.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #358 on: July 20, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »

Very nice.

I'd like to one day be chapter president, though that'll probably be in my fourth year. I'm currently wondering what space I'll have to advance in the winter semester. The other guy from my pledge class to be on our Executive Council for the fall will probably be shooting for Treasurer, which is a position I'm apathetic about, but is a step above Secretary. While it's possible I could move up to Vice President (I was nominated in the last election, though as the least qualified candidate in the field, it was obvious that wasn't happening), it looks like I may have to go two terms as Secretary until something opens up. One of the issues is that a position I'd like to move into called First Councillor is voted on after Secretary, despite being seen as an office requiring more experience, so trying to  move in that direction is an electoral gamble.

While other schools may have greater involvement in large fraternal organizations (IFC, Panhellenic, etc.), the only thing we're involved in (to my knowledge) is "Greek Council" which, at maximum, represents about six organizations due to the small size of UDM's Greek community. However, I was elected as our alternate delegate to that and, combined with my election to Student Government Association, I'll be involved more than a typical member would in interfraternal relations.

60% of our Exec will be ineligible to run next year, and I'm the only member of my PC currently on Exec.  So, I'm definitely feeling some pressure to move up and if I could get to be President as early as next spring I have a clear path to IFC exec my junior/senior years.  Of course, if I can't get Pres this year then I probably could junior year, which leaves senior year for IFC stuff. 

While we may both be in similar places within our organizations, there is definitely a disconnection that occurs when talking about SEC vs. non-SEC Greek life.  They're different, but one isn't necessarily better than the other (at least, I'm not going to say that to your face Wink).  Greek life at MSU, while nowhere near as intense as somewhere like Bama or LSU, is very large and very visible.  22% of our student body is Greek (25% of men are) and we haven't had a non-Greek student serve on Student Body exec since the 1970s. 

Would you like to see Greek life grow at UMD or are you happy within a smaller system?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #359 on: July 20, 2014, 09:42:43 PM »

I definitely would like to see a few more fraternities and sororities pop up. While that might mean that we'd be competing for the same amount of people, I think that greater diversity in social fraternities could have good results, as that would create opportunities for different types of people to be attracted to the system. However, given the size of our student body and that we're a commuter school, the Greek system is going to have its limits where too many would involve just cutting the same sample into smaller pieces.

At the end of my freshman year, a lot of our leaders were graduating and the class under them was being decimated (it was already a small class, but half of them had pledged their second year and were thus graduating, and the most "executive" of them, a 5-year MBA, has decided to become an alumnus next year despite a semester left of undergrad). Thus, the presidency was between a soon-to-be 5th year senior and a guy who would be a junior, and experience won out. While there were some obvious spaces for my pledge class, in attempts to move up in position, it looks like the class directly above me will pose the biggest "obstacle" (though my use of that word is obviously selfish, and I'm only cateogrizing them as that in very specific terms). In my eyes, there's a semi-obvious "line of succession", and if even one of the two likely future presidents gets a second term, that would have anyone in my class waiting until senior year to ascend to the presidency. I'm the "highest ranked" of my class in terms of the position I hold, and having been won "Pledge of the Year", though where I'm able to move will depend largely on others. Our system is pretty stratified in terms of older guys being president, though it's possible to become VP as soon as your second sophomore term (this has somehow failed to yield a president in his 3rd year over the past few cycles, though).

Living in the House for the summer has given me an undue amount of time to look at composite pictures on the wall and see how different people got to the "top". An unhealthy obsession, but I need something to think about.

Whereas you talk about advancing to a position above just your chapter, there's little place to go after a term or two as president. A typical career path in the past has been to have a fifth year who was president in his fourth year serve as the New Member Educator (which I of course would like to do), but that's about it.

And in terms of SEC vs. non-SEC, you already insulted me once by saying real fraternities don't exist north of the Mason-Dixon, so let's not go down that route again... Wink
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #360 on: July 20, 2014, 10:26:02 PM »

I want to feel important and be a part of this...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #361 on: July 20, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »

I want to feel important and be a part of this...

If you're concerned with being important, the best thing you can do is to take no part in this.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #362 on: July 20, 2014, 10:35:56 PM »

Del Tachi what frat are you in
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #363 on: July 20, 2014, 10:41:47 PM »

I've already established this.  I'm a Kappa Sig. 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #364 on: July 20, 2014, 11:28:41 PM »

That's an interesting question. I'm not entirely sure how pronounced the Greek/Independent difference is based on appearances alone, since I didn't know anyone within the Fraternity until I rushed. In terms of the "types" of people, my chapter specifically, as small as it is, has a wide range of people when you talk about drinking habits, academic concentrations, and personalities. There are people within our Chapter that could easily be independents, but I wouldn't say that such works in the reverse. Obviously, there are independent friends of mine that I'd like to join, but on the whole, there are going to be very few unaffiliated students on campus that you'd mistake as a fraternity member. We don't necessarily look like stereotypes either, but if you're looking for the type of folks who wear boat shoes, non-cargo shorts, etc., you're much more likely to find it within Greek circles than outside.

That said, I'd say that my own Fraternity and Phi Kappa Theta are more segregated from the campus community as a whole, though that's an observation based purely on what I'm thinking of right now. Kappa Delta Rho, my next-door-neighbors, is probably the organization that looks most like the student body and is the last "frat". As such (combined with their lack of an actual pledging process), they tend to be larger than the other two fraternities. I'd say KDR's are the most likely to blend in. There are certain folks that lived in my building that I had no idea were in KDR until they randomly appeared at one Greek Week event to spectate, and I feel like they're the most likely overall for that to happen to, even though Phi Kapp can't wear their letters right now. KDR's definitely the most likely to have "randos" you've never associated with Greek life, and the least likely (in my knowledge) to cultivate any image of being particularly alcoholic or prone to vice. They're probably also the most liberal politically, I'll also throw in.

It seems like Greeks have little interest in student government, and I'm probably a good example, as when I'd come to college, I entertained a notion that I should get involved in campus politics. As pledging began and I found myself in a miniature political system, I decided "screw that!". I think that most people who'd have that kind of political ambition and are in a fraternity/sorority would be more likely to satiate it at the Chapter level. While I'm not really interested at all in campus affairs, I chose to have my name written in during an SGA election partly as a joke and partly as a chance to further satisfy my ambitions. I figure at the very least it's something on a resume and a good example of leadership when real elections roll around again in the winter. Given how messed up and utterly devastated the SGA is right now, there'll probably be a vacuum and a good chance to reorganize. It wouldn't be very hard for me to bet that I'd be the only Greek involved.

I'm not sure how well this answers your question. In short, while there is definite "cliquieness", it's far from an overriding feature. Even in cases where some Greek circles have little association with geeds, they don't attempt to take over campus institutions as a means of advancing their interests, and instead keep to themselves.

That's quite the optimistic scenario you've got going. For us, it'll be the fourth year seniors who leave without having had a president. There'll only be two left active out of what was already a small class of six. Though the size might surprise you, the largest the Fraternity was at during my time here was 31. My class crossed with ten, and that's probably the largest class crossing size since "the Baker's Dozen", which will be entering its third year of post-graduate life in the fall.

You're going to have a little already? Did you have a winter pledge class or does the chapter allow you to have one without having had a class below you cross? My chapter requires that you see one class cross below you before having a little brother. My big brother was a senior at the time and had already had a little who was a year above me. As a (somewhat, to me) amusing sidenote, My big, grand-big, and great-grand-big have all been president, and my twin is Vice President and was also Pledge of the Year and got elected to EC his first chance. Hopefully both of our branches can prosper, though we'll see.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #365 on: July 20, 2014, 11:44:56 PM »

I will agree with you that anyone looking to get a political fix in college would be much better off rushing than going for SGA or whatever.

As for your little question, I meant to say that I would be getting a little this fall semester.  The way it works at MSU, your big is (typically) in the PC immediately above yours; so my big will be a junior this year, and his big (my grand-big) will be a senior.  In my chapter, the actives have a somewhat bad habit of "picking winners and losers" among incoming PCs.  For example, all of the people currently on Exec (except for me) have had Bigs on Exec.  In fact, the current President, his big and grand-big were both President preceding him.  Its like a good ol' network inside of another good ol' boy network.  So, my hope is that, as the only sophomore who's going to be on Exec, that I can snatch up one of the top prospects to be my little brother.  If I can get the rest of the active membership to go along with him being PCP and I can guide him (as a former PCP) through the perils of being PCP then hopefuly he's influential enough within his PC to sway most of their votes my direction come December. 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #366 on: July 21, 2014, 12:10:08 AM »

Ah. At UDM, at least for Phi Kappa Theta and Sigma Pi, one has to wait until a pledge class below them has crossed in order to get a little. I'm not sure on KDR's setup as, despite being next-door neighbors, we're not very close at all. They do have a weird habit, however, of having their friends that are the same age as them rush and then choosing them as littles, thus meaning you could have a junior with two littles that are juniors as well, and the like. I know that both Sigma Sigma Sigma and Gamma Phi Beta sororities allow you a little your first semester active (or the first semester that there's a pledge class beneath you), though I think Kappa Beta Gamma uses a similar rule as us and Phi Kapp.

In regards to family trees, politics, and the pledge class below: The Rush Chair is part of my pledge class and himself, me, and at least one other in my year plan on working hard to get a (relatively) large group. We have no guarantees on this, but we'd like to think that if we work hard and are outgoing, we can pull off an above average sized pledge class. While I won't have a little, I will have a "nephew" who I hope can live up to the hopes and dreams of his tree. Given that my own twin was present a lot more than my big during the fall, I plan on returning the favor in this guy's case should it be an issue. The term in Sigma Pi for president is "Sage", and my great-grand-big, the first one to be Sage (within memory) referred to us as "the Sage family tree". Tongue

Both myself and the Rush Chair, both being ambitious, would like to see a pledge class that would vote for us, and that's one of our goals in wanting to be active both in recruitment and education for next year. However, they will be of little use in winter elections--I myself didn't have the ability to vote my own big into office as president. This is due to a flaw in our system that I'd rather not get into, but it prevents taking office your first semester active.

In regards to your "winners and losers" phenomenon, it seems like my tree is the only one with any "dynastic" attachments. Our incoming/current president's big was also president, and while his remaining little may be ambitious, I'm not placing any bets just yet. Some of the more revered recent presidents that were alumni when I met them had littles who went on to do almost nothing, while some of the hardest workers come from family trees of little notability. That doesn't change the fact that three out of four of the most ambitious members have/had bigs as president. However, that issue isn't as present.

My Chapter is probably too small to have the "network inside the network" in terms of cultivating leaders in only a few family trees. Given that there are the "careerists" as opposed to those that'll be in for a term or two and then out, there should be good rotation of people through EC to ensure a lack of some sort of stratification.

Small note: I was kind of amused to find out that my great-grand big, who was a two-term chapter president who still lives in the area had also been a PCP who was Pledge of the Year.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #367 on: July 21, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2014, 04:31:06 PM by Bacon King »

cool, my younger brother is a Kappa Sig; he just got back from national's in New Orleans.

I'm a Sigma Chi and this was several years ago but the Sigs I met from your school were awesome

and while we're talking about electoral frat accomplishments and frat lineage, I was Treasurer, my big was VP, his big was Prez, his big was Prez before him
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #368 on: July 21, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »

cool, my younger brother is a Kappa Sig; he just got back from national's in New Orleans.

I'm a Sigma Chi and this was several years ago but the Sigs I met from your school were awesome

and while we're talking about electoral frat accomplishments and frat lineage, I was Treasurer, my big was VP, his big was Prez, his big was Prez before him

Are you disappointed your brother didn't follow in your footsteps?

And were you ever in the running for the top spot?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: July 21, 2014, 04:49:34 PM »

Are you disappointed your brother didn't follow in your footsteps?

And were you ever in the running for the top spot?

Only a little bit cuz there's no chapter at his school

And no because I didn't want the spotlight so I was content with managing the money and getting my favorites elected president instead
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies