Opinion of Planned Parenthood
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:21:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Planned Parenthood
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: ?
FO

HO

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Opinion of Planned Parenthood  (Read 4929 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »

They do a great deal of good. The hate for them just seems really sad, to me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 12:37:31 PM »

Horrible Organization.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »

FO.

All abortions should be free of charge and available on demand, at any stage of pregnancy.

That's taking things way too far.  I'm pro-choice, but abortion post-viability unless it's about the life of the Mother, is tantamount to murder.  I hope no doctor would ever agree to such an abortion.

A woman's right to choose an abortion is more important than your right to deny her that choice on the basis of the "viability" of the fetus outside the womb. "Viability" is an entirely subjective measure as is. Assuming that a fetus is "viable," outside the womb also assumes that there is someone present to take care of it post-birth, because, let's not kid ourselves (no pun intended) - no one is actually "viable" on their own post-birth for quite some time. This idea that we must deny women the right to an abortion on the basis of the "viability" is part of this weird, generalized cult of life that assumes that all life is equally worth preserving and all life is equally worthwhile. It is not. In this case, the life of the living, breathing, viable woman carrying the nonviable fetus is far more important and should be given far more consideration.

I mostly agree with you.  Nature just dictates that many, many pregnancies do not result in a healthy child.  Sometimes the biology doesn't work quite right, there is a major problem and you don't get a newborn baby.  Sometimes a woman realizes it isn't the right time to have a baby and abortion is a good option for almost parallel reasons, those being personal rather than biological.

However, the reason that you would do a late term abortion is a severe defect or a danger to the woman's health in continuing the pregnancy.  The idea that a woman would casually have a super-late term abortion, that to me is morally problematic.  At some point, if you're talking about performing an abortion a week before a due date, just because of a woman's whim, that would be horrifying to me.

The solution to that however, is actually funding planned Parenthood more and getting more reproductive health services and education to women.  That would avoid these problems entirely.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »

All abortions should be free of charge and available on demand, at any stage of pregnancy.

I bet that this position is incredibly popular in Kentucky.

I can assure you its not, it's a fringe position pretty much everywhere in the nation.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2014, 07:29:05 PM »

FO, though I don't support federal funding of Planned Parenthood, I think they do a lot of good services.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2014, 07:30:43 PM »

Pretty sure PP doesn't do that. Besides, isn't abortion only a very small section of their services?

What kind of argument is that?

To the pro lifer, killing babies is one of their services. It hardly matters what else they do.

What a cute baby!
A life is still a life.  The fact remains that once an egg is fertilized, it is considered a life.  Cells are considered living as well. 
Think about it logically: if a baby is alive when it's born, then how is it not alive before then?

In that case, scratching your arm and killing skin cells is also "murder".

Besides, I was simply responding to the ridiculous "infanticide" and "killing babies" posts. Not only is it not infanticide by definition (as has already been pointed out), but a zygote is not a baby any more than a sperm or an egg is.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »

FO.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2014, 11:13:41 PM »

FO.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2014, 12:01:01 AM »

Just popping in to say that I would have been OK with having been aborted (insofar as one can be said to have been OK when "one" does not exist).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2014, 07:23:29 AM »

Just popping in to say that I would have been OK with having been aborted (insofar as one can be said to have been OK when "one" does not exist).

^^^^ Most definitely. I'm not egocentric enough to believe I had a "right to exist" from the moment I was just a mindless aggregate of cells.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »

FO.

That's taking things way too far.  I'm pro-choice, but abortion post-viability unless it's about the life of the Mother, is tantamount to murder.  I hope no doctor would ever agree to such an abortion.

A woman's right to choose an abortion is more important than your right to deny her that choice on the basis of the "viability" of the fetus outside the womb. "Viability" is an entirely subjective measure as is. Assuming that a fetus is "viable," outside the womb also assumes that there is someone present to take care of it post-birth, because, let's not kid ourselves (no pun intended) - no one is actually "viable" on their own post-birth for quite some time. This idea that we must deny women the right to an abortion on the basis of the "viability" is part of this weird, generalized cult of life that assumes that all life is equally worth preserving and all life is equally worthwhile. It is not. In this case, the life of the living, breathing, viable woman carrying the nonviable fetus is far more important and should be given far more consideration.

More consideration does not mean absolute consideration to the detriment of everyone else.  After all, using your definition of "viable", I would argue none of us are so self-sufficient as to be "viable".  Do you grow, gather, and hunt all your own food? Did you build the generator that powers your computer? Etc.  In the context of abortion, all "viable" means is that the fetus within has reached the point that it is possible for it to exist independent of the woman whose womb it has been within, not that is is possible to exist independent of any assistance.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2014, 10:13:10 AM »

HO
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 05:05:48 PM »

LOL, right-wingers outraged at this new video.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »

Mixed. HO for the abortion, but FO for the free STD testing. They are incredibly important in preventing the spread of diseases.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2014, 07:02:42 PM »

FO
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »

FO on balance for preventive/healthcare services. Some of the conspiracy theories that the pro-lifers throw out about it are bizarre.  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies